Alison's Holsts self saucing pudding-crock pot -??

honeybean, Apr 24, 3:41am
I tried this recipe for the first time today. It was cooked in 2 hours.
Very very yummy and lovely full chocolate flavour.
However- my sauce was very very thick. I like it a bit thinner than that - did I over cook it ? ( pudding part perfect) or should I add a little more water ( which I actually did do anyway, but maybe need more)? ?
The ones I have done in the oven the sauce was quite different.

honeybean, Apr 24, 5:40am
if nobody answers me I am just going to have to eat it all ! !

margyr, Apr 24, 5:47am
sounds yum, and only 2 hours, a nice thick sauce would be yum, just have some cream or ice-cream with it.

honeybean, Apr 24, 8:27am
it was way too thick - I will try it again with more water.

r123l, Apr 24, 9:26am
Recipe Please

norton, Apr 24, 9:36am
Yum just googled the recipe looks yummy might try this tomorrow. Do you have a large slow cooker or a smaller one? ?

honeybean, Apr 24, 10:32am
a small one -it does not make a big pudding.

toy_turbo, Apr 25, 1:06am
Hehe... I doubled the recipe! :-D We were going out to a friends place and taking dessert, so I made this one, but doubled it. It was really nice, though some might feel it's too rich... doubled it has 1 cup of cocoa between the pudding and sauce! ! Soooo yummy with vanilla icecream though! :-)

honeybean, Apr 25, 2:18am
so was your sauce really thick too? ? It is very rich.
some cold left over in the fridge but I can not face it today!

toy_turbo, Apr 25, 2:35am
Yup, thick sauce, but we like it quite thick, the icecream melts and makes it a bit thinner. I think you're right, adding more water might help make it thinner? It's so rich that I doubt it would affect the flavour too much!

greertontga, Apr 25, 8:34pm
Could someone please post the recipe

griffo4, Apr 26, 9:51pm
greertontga l googled it and it took me to the TVNZ web page and l copied it from there and made it last night and it is really nice and l put in 2 cups of boiling water and it was still nice and thick, here it is

Chocolate Self-saucing Pudding
HIGH for 2-3 hours, plus 15-20 minutes standing
We've seen several different recipes for slow cooker versions of everyone's favourite self-saucing chocolate pudding, but this one - with its remarkably rich sauce considering how little fat is actually added - is a winner!
FOR 6 SERVINGS:
1 cup self-raising flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 Tbsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup chocolate chips
SAUCE
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups boiling water
Turn the slow cooker to HIGH and coat the inside of the bowl with non-stick spray.
Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa powder and salt into a large bowl. In a small separate bowl whisk the milk, oil and vanilla together. Pour them into the dry ingredients, then fold everything together gently until just combined. Sprinkle in the chocolate chips and stir just enough to incorporate them. Pour or spoon the pudding batter into the slow cooker.

Make the sauce by combining the sugar and cocoa powder with the boiling water. Stir or whisk to ensure there are no lumps, then carefully pour the sauce over the batter, getting as much as possible around the edges rather than all in the middle.

Cover and cook for 2-3 hours. When the middle feels about as firm as the edges it is ready. Leave to stand for 15-20 minutes before spooning out and serving with cream or ice cream.

honeybean, Apr 28, 8:57am
thanks griffo for posting the recipe. I forgot to come back and do it.
And if you are wondering about the choccy chips - they seem to melt
in to the pudding and I think gives it a lovely rich flavour.

griffo4, Apr 29, 2:21am
lt has been requested by the family coming home this weekend so l will need to double it but it is really nice and rich and so quick and easy l just mixed it up then chucked it all into the crockpot and walked away and came back to lovely pudding

toy_turbo, Apr 29, 4:18am
And it doesn't take much longer at all when it's doubled, so that's great! :-)

maynard9, Apr 29, 4:44am
So roughly how much longer did you have to cook it for? Thanks

cam651, Apr 29, 6:56am
x1
I tripled the recipe and it cooked in the same time (thou my crockpot does tend to be very hot). I love this recipe it is so easy and sooooooo yummmmm! ! ! ! !