Pickled Beetroot - oldstyle?

accroul, Dec 10, 4:17am
When I was a kid, my mum would cook whole beetroot, peel and slice then add ? was it vinegar and brown sugar?
It was a little tart and a little sweet but a whole lot of yum!
How much vinegar & brown sugar should I use?

dezzie, Dec 10, 4:22am
It's not all vinegar, there's some of the water the beetroot was boiled in as well, I'm not sure there was ever a recipe for it, (well not in our house anyway) it was add vinegar and sugar and taste, and adjust til it tasted right.

valentino, Dec 10, 4:44am
x1
Edmonds recipe which is a most used basic one. You can copy Revamped Edmonds Cookbook Bottled Beetroot Recipe from my stack.

3 Medium Beetroot trimmed and washed
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup boiling water
1/4 cup1/2 teaspoon salt and
black pepper.

Beetroot into a saucepan covered with cold water and bring to boil and cook simmering for about 45 minutes o0r until tender., Drain then rinse under cold water and slide the skins off with your fingers.
Slice and placed into a bowl or a suitable container. Dissolve the sugar in boiling water, add the vinegar then salt and pepper to taste.
Pour over the slice beetroot and serve cold or store in fridge being ready to eat anytime.

I have got one of those good size Containers that has a screwed lid and also has a special lifter within that lifts the beetroot up for easier serving.
These are great when doing double or triple batches.

Cheers

nauru, Dec 10, 9:18am
I add a little balsamic vinegar to my beetroot when pickling it.

dairymaid, Dec 10, 9:35pm
Accroul My mum use to do Beetroot all the time as we loved it hot in the winter just thicken with cornflour. Her recipe is cook as much beetroot as you require in their skins keep some of water it has been cooked in ; When cooked in another pot put 3 cups vinegar Malt or white 4 cups of the water the beetroot was cooked it 3 desp common salt , 4 tsp allspice , 1 tsp whole cloves , 1 cup sugar bring to the boil add cooked sliced beetroot bring back to the boil bottle in clean sterile jars . Have done it with pickling spice instead of the cloves and allspice makes it taste a little different but still nice

harrislucinda, Dec 10, 9:37pm
is that 1/4 cup vinegar

valentino, Dec 10, 10:18pm
Yes, sorry my typo.

fifie, Nov 23, 5:01pm
x1
If you have a lot of beetroot to do this is nice diced for salads with feta.
Bottled Pickled Beetroot
5-6 beetroot, 1 cup brown malt vinegar. 1/2 cup water. 1/2 cup sugar. 1/4 tsp cinnamon. 2 whole cloves. 4 peppercorns. 1 ~ 2 bay leaves
Cook beetroot in salted water until just knife tender.
Simmer mixture for 15 mins. Pack sliced beetroot or (1.5cm dices) into hot sterilized jars and pour sieved vinegar over. Seal.