Can I use this on my BBQ?

meoldchina, Dec 28, 11:20pm
I have an old aluminium (I think) flat plate, similar to a pizza dish, and am wondering if I can use it as a hotplate on my gas BBQ to fry eggs, mushrooms, onions, etc. It's exactly like this one:

valentino, Dec 28, 11:24pm
You can but be weary how hot it will get, control the flame level for ideal heat range. Can even sit on top of existing BBQ Grate type plates.

Cheers

lythande1, Dec 29, 1:01am
Wary = cautious. (weary = tired)
I wouldn't. use a shallow roasting dish or something if you need a flat thing for the BBQ, will work better.

buzzy110, Dec 29, 1:22am
I cannot see why you cannot use it on your bbq if it has a thick base. The one you linked to looks like the sides and bottom are quite thick enough to use as a frying pan. As valentino says - it will get very hot fast, because that is the nature of aluminium so naturally care should be taken to reduce heat once it is at cooking temperature, but that is the same with anything, including cast iron. Using it on top of the existing grates is also what I would do. It would be a bit like using a frying pan that way which is basically what the grill plate is.

I like it because it doesn't have draining holes, which bbq grill plates tend to do. That drives me crazy because fried food needs some fat or oil to cook properly imo. I don't like eggs, sausages or bacon cooked without some fat present.

petal1955, Dec 29, 6:44pm
We had one of these came with the Fridgaire stove it used to sit snugly into the large fron hobs and excellent for making pikelets on.

smallwoods, Dec 29, 7:14pm
Eggs yes. The others are getting broiled (stewing) in the fat. If frying them, do it in a pan.
Try the bacon on a ridged griddle plate in the BBQ.
If the sausages are good quality(with around 15-20% fat included), they too should be on a griddle plate or on the grill.
Fat is flavour and heat will drain the fat, but not the flavour.
Worst burger I ever have had was at a top end restaurant that used lean meat. Was like eating cardboard. Only had two bites, worked out at $11/bite.

meoldchina, Dec 29, 7:17pm
Thanks. I still can’t decide whether to use it on the barbecue or list it on here. As the last one sold for only $5, I think maybe the former. What have I got to lose? It’s cheaper than buying a Weber hotplate!

blueviking, Dec 29, 7:27pm
Can't you just get an old cast iron frypan? Or just get an old cast plate if your bbq only has a grille. I thought webers were the bees knees of bbq's and you could do anything on/in them?

meoldchina, Dec 29, 10:20pm
Yes, BlueViking, I could get a cast iron frying pan or even the Weber plate, but this Frigidaire plate was "free" and I like to recycle and up-cycle whenever possible. And yes, Webers are the bees knees - it has even managed to make a chef out of my hubby, but they are over-priced IMO and I am reluctant to give them any more of my hard-earned money.

marcs, Dec 30, 1:30am
It is a skillet so why not but the eggs may stick to it. You can just use a frying pan on the bbq but use low heat.

buzzy110, Nov 9, 6:09pm
You'd also have to ensure that the handle wouldn't melt or burn so it would have to be metal. I think the implement the OP wants to use is just fine - it has no handles and will retain a cooking medium like fat or oil.