Cooking with one hand

Page 2 / 2
jbsouthland, Jan 25, 7:22pm
When you fracture a limb . who cares about cooking every night . nothing wrong with toast and toppings some nights , soups etc .
Yes it’s hot but so be it , only for a short time and you adapt .
Lovely that you have three adult children to help .
Salads and cold meats would be ideal and easy peasy .

jan2242, Jan 25, 9:02pm
Had my lower right arm out of action for 6 months. Managed fine. I remember using my elbow to rest on veg so I could peel them, or used one of the steel prong things (used in flower decorating) to hold them. Used teeth to help put washing out etc. Had no help, just managed.
At the time of my accident my son was 3 so was too young to do a lot. BUT by age 8 my son could cook a basic meal - mince stew and veg, and even could bake cakes etc. I didn't want him growing up to be useless and have a future wife blame me.

amasser, Jan 26, 12:05am
Do 2 sons want to eat? Do you want them to ever leave home with survival skills?
Salad in wraps - actually anything can go in wraps.

lythande1, Jan 26, 1:17am

lcscott, Jan 26, 2:54am
i just had my right wrist in plaster also and i managed just. I managed to chop vegs (tho rather roughly) and made use of the microwave more. Im sure if I can manage most should be able and I live on my own no one here to help

smallwoods, Jan 26, 6:49am
If you think you can or think you can't.

You are right.

huntlygirl, Jan 26, 7:52am
I have had my right arm out of action since August after tearing my rotator cuff. My son made a board with nails sticking thru to hold food for peeling or chopping works great.

uli, Jan 30, 5:27am
Nowadays you do not need to chop anything. Salad greens come in blown up bags washed and ready to eat, as does kale, spinach etc. Just open bag and cook. Lots of pre-chopped salad mixes right up to Caesar with even sauce sachets included and many different stir-fry mixes in the fresh department and frozen too. Even the meat is sold chopped for stir fries - chicken, beef and pork in our local Pak'n'Save.

nauru, Jan 30, 7:27am
My right arm was in plaster and out of action for a couple of months or more and I managed fine, even ironing and cooking, it took longer but I got there eventually. At the time, my kids were just little so not much help there and hubby was working away from home so I just had to get on with it. It's surprising what and how much you can do with only one hand when you have to. The only thing I found rather difficult was writing (pre computers) legibly with my left hand.

zeta7, Jan 30, 11:58am
my son had his hand cut off and reattached he wanted to cook tea put potatoes etc under his armpit didn't want to eat it so went out shed got board put nails on end he would put vegs meat any thing he whated to cut on it under his arm I could eat what ever he had without feeling sick

daarhn, Jan 31, 10:15am
Food processors have gadgets for cutting, grating slicing etc.

A great time to be adventurous in your menu and a challenge in your prep. Plus delegations skills.

Humans are resilient and will try to find the easiest ways of doing things.

or

Uber-eats

Heal well and enjoy the quality time you have together as a family.

uli, Oct 28, 12:42am
So after two weeks - how are you faring sarahb5 ?
Are the boys still cooking?

Why not start a thread with all the recipes you can do with one hand? I am sure it will be bumped for decades as we all get into some sort of strife in our lives!

And of course answer the difficulties in post 21 - we are all waiting for that. While I can do one of those, I am not sure about the bra thing.