Cooking with one hand

Page 1 / 2
sarahb5, Jan 20, 3:01am
My right wrist is in a cast (suspected fracture) - any suggestions as to how I cook one handed? I have 2 sons living with me but neither of them really cooks although I can instruct thrm

uli, Jan 20, 3:18am
If you have 2 sons then they will do the chopping etc and you do the supervising and stirring (left-handed). They will benefit (if they want to be attentive) as to when one puts in the meat in a stew and when the veges and how to crack or even separate eggs and make lots of interesting dishes for when they leave your house and set up as young adults. Here is your opportunity to teach them without being overbearing as otherwise it will be spaghetti on toast for a month. (I hope that is not what they would like above all).

sarahb5, Jan 20, 3:48am
Um thanks but stew in this weather? I don’t eat stew even in winter. They will do whatever I ask them to do just need to keep it simple or give them a recipe. I can’t stir left handed - I tried but definitely a no .

buzzy110, Jan 20, 4:10am
I thought that you had told us that one of your sons did really well in cooking at school and had a job in the industry.

That aside you have my sincere sympathies. Damaged right wrists are quite an obstacle to surmount if you are right handed. Certainly chopping things up with your left hand would be fraught with danger.

I am very good at adapting and can think of things such as steak, eggs, lamb chops and roasted chicken things that are relatively easy to cook with just a left hand I think. Certainly my Easy Cook and oven bags could cope. Unchopped vegetables (carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce, etc) can be eaten raw. My downfall would be washing dishes. Now that, I would gladly offload onto the children. It doesn't take 2 hands to use a rice cooker.

Can you adapt your idea of what you think a meal presentation should look like to accommodate your current situation? It won't be what you are used to but so long as there are all the elements for good nutrition present it hardly matters.

I think that with practice, you'll get better at using your left hand. With perseverance, I gained good control over my left hand when I broke my right wrist and had it in plaster for 6 weeks.

uli, Jan 20, 5:04am
Well that is up to you of course. I eat soups and stews even when it is 30 degrees (as it it here now), but if would rather not .

Why not get the sons to make a Nizza salad - green beans cooked to perfection, salad greens, fresh tuna and some boiled eggs with some lovely French dressing (olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper) - served with fresh bread (a skill they will love later in life) or small fresh potatoes either just boiled or boiled, peeled and fried.

Can't go wrong with that.

If you cannot stir with your left hand then it is up to the family to cook aye? Enjoy the ride!

fifie, Jan 20, 5:21am
Put it to the boys to help you out, and you supervise, they will thank you for it when they go flatting, and its amazing what you can do if you have to with practice.

sarahb5, Jan 20, 5:24am
They are just going to have to step up and follow my instructions- they are perfectly capable but I’m too much of a control freak not to just let them loose in the kitchen- they won’t like it but nor will I

rainrain1, Jan 20, 5:44am
How old are these boys. making toppings for pizza bases should be easy, and cooking simple food like sausage, and eggs, spaghetti on toast etc. Where there's a will there's a way

sherrydog, Jan 21, 4:15am
An easy meat loaf - can be eaten hot or cold - good quality sausages. There is a range of prepared meals in any deli of your local supermarket. Get your sons to go with you when you purchase and make sure they do any preparation work. Good training for them in the future!

sarahb5, Jan 21, 4:30am
Mr 20 is roasting a chicken and some potatoes, mr 23 is in charge of the veg - peas, carrots, corn and broccoli - i figure if he can build a house he can cook broccoli. I am staying out of the way - I foresee arguments.

I am not going to live off junk food for a week - it’s bad enough not being able to exercise as it is without crap food adding to my woes. As my work colleague said if they can read they can follow a recipe - I’ve just let them get away with it because I’m fussy about what we eat and how it’s cooked.

rainrain1, Jan 21, 5:02am
Hope you can eat it with one hand! The lads might have to feed you.

sarahb5, Jan 21, 5:35am
The sling doubles as a bib .

petal1955, Jan 21, 5:46am
Get your lazy arsed sons to help

norse_westie, Jan 21, 6:49am
Think back to when you had a baby or toddler on your hip and yet manage. Dont allow a simply injury to reduce to pathetic helplessness. Get your sons do help, do it as a team or delegate one to do a meal per day.

norse_westie, Jan 21, 6:50am
1) then you have done them no favours by not teaching them to cook (to your standards or their own) and
2) presumably there is some other issue that prevents you excercising because a broken wrist sure as hell does not.

valentino, Jan 21, 7:00am
LOL, I've had Carpal Tunnel Surgery in both hands/wrists and got by and is a lot harder on the male than females, (won't go into details).

If others do not help then that is their problem, not yours.
You will get around all problems eventually.

Cheers.

uli, Jan 21, 7:20am
post 7 and 10 sums it up:

7 . they are perfectly capable but I’m too much of a control freak not to just let them loose in the kitchen.

10 . Mr 20 is roasting a chicken and some potatoes, mr 23 is in charge of the veg - peas, carrots, corn and broccoli - i figure if he can build a house he can cook broccoli. As my work colleague said if they can read they can follow a recipe - I’ve just let them get away with it because I’m fussy about what we eat and how it’s cooked.

Amazing really - first that they live at home at this age and second that there is a problem to cook a simple meal.

twinkley1, Jan 21, 7:29am
I guess now is the time for a speedy education. You are living with two other adults , let them be adults and do their share. You will all learn quickly how to co habitat effectively.

sarahb5, Jan 21, 8:20am
I know I’m a control freak about the quality of cooking.

I can’t swim with a cast on and walking is also a mission because I can’t do up my shoes so my forms of exercise aren’t possible

sarahb5, Jan 21, 8:25am
They cooked under my direction, their sister came over and ironed my clothes for work and Mr 23’s girlfriend washed up

sarahb5, Jan 21, 8:28am
They had a father at home who kept them out of the kitchen - it’s not helplessness - can you wipe your a*se or put your bra on without using your dominant hand?

sarahb5, Jan 21, 8:29am
I’m sure your halo shines so much more brightly than mine ever will .

rainrain1, Jan 21, 6:46pm
So who does that for you?

valentino, Jan 21, 6:56pm
It is a matter of being positive ! and move on.

punkinthefirst, Jan 25, 11:36am
You're just going to have to leave your bra done up and struggle into it. As for the other end. it might just take longer with the other hand.
Your sons may surprise and delight you with their cooking skills, and if their dishing up is a bit below par, then what's stopping your family from serving themselves at the table? If the cooking is awful, then it isn't the end of the world and will be over in a short time.