11 hours of slow cooking?

missmalice, May 10, 1:48am
Most recipes say 8 hours but between the time i leave for work and get home it's 11 hours - would it matter slow cooking for that amount of time? :)

pam.delilah, May 10, 1:51am
you could buy a timer that you plug in to the socket and plug the slow cooker on that and set the time to start later or finish eariler.

cookessentials, May 10, 1:57am
No, but set it to low instead of high. or start it on high and turn to low when you leave the house.

missmalice, May 10, 2:05am
Oh are you meant to cook on high?
So far i've used it twice, Shanks and last night was Pork Chops...
8 Hours on low... was good but torturous seeing it cooking all day - would rather use it while i'm not there to drool! haha

duckmoon, May 10, 2:07am
I agree

fisher, May 10, 2:37am
Most new Crockpots have 3 settings. .
Auto = when switched to this position, it will be High for 1 hour and then reduce temp to low for balance of cooking time. .
High = Stays on high for all of cooking time. .
Low = Stays on low for all of cooking time...

veejay13, May 10, 2:49am
fisher's dead right - although I've heard somewhere that chicken should always be cooked on high, so I don't think I'd be going off to work and leaving a chicken in there for 11 hours LOL

missmalice, May 10, 3:38am
Aww thanks! ! :D

fisher, May 10, 4:17am
veejay13. . you are correct with regards to the chicken, but this was more so for the older Crockpots like the colourful Ralta's etc...
Chicken needs to get up to temperature quickly for the bacteria to be killed when cooking (hence why not advisable from frozen) and the new crock pots take this into account whereas the older ones worked at one "lower" temperatures and most fell below the desired 70C...
The setting on the newer machines of "auto" lets the crockpot cook the food "sooner" at high which is 150c for the first hour and then dropping down to low which is 100c and way above the required 70C. .

Temperatures are averages, relative to brands but you get the general idea...
An approximation is that one hour on HIGH is equal to two hours on LOW...
I wish folks would learn that crockpots work on heat and steam within the cooking chamber. . thats why we dont lift the lid when under way... wrapping food in foil or placing them in oven bags completely defeats the purpose of the way they work. .
There is no "ROASTING" in a crockpot. . that's left for the dry heat environment of an oven. :]

veejay13, Apr 18, 10:50pm
Thanks, fisher - just read your post from yesterday. I love reading your posts and find them most informative. I look forward to seeing more.