What can I do with cherry tomatoes?

christin, Jan 31, 10:48pm
Have a big salad bowl full. Not a lot to make a pile of jars of sauce but too much to eat as not a huge fan.

Normally my friend/flatmate would demolish the lot, but seems a shame to waste them.

Any brilliant ideas for a small batch, ideally something that wouldn't have to be used up in one go.

Thanks

thedevil1, Jan 31, 10:58pm
wash them and freeze them. theyre great added to a stew or blend them up with some fresh basil, parsley and some finely chopped red onion. add a little seasoning and olive oil or cooking oil. makes a great topping with garlic bread sticks

christin, Feb 1, 3:24am
Thanks. Unfortunately have the most pathetically small freezer so that would take up valuable space, will remember when I get a bigger one :-)

jobb, Feb 1, 3:42am
Roast them with a little garlic and oil, fill them with sour cream and chives, heat them up in a fry pan until they start to soften and then mix through pasta, make a salsa with red onion, chilli and capsicum, cook up and make a tomato sauce with garlic, onion vinegar and oil which can be used on pizza or through pasta or even in a casserole, freeze in small batches for easy re use.
Just a few ideas to get you going

lythande1, Feb 1, 4:27am
Then make a few jars.

nunesy, Feb 1, 5:17am
take them as a snack to your next gathering - on short kebab sticks put one tomato, one olive and one cube of cheese (any but I like firm camembert), or you can replace the olive with a chunk of salami. or tomato, basil leaf, cheese. Mmmmmmmm.

daarhn, Feb 1, 6:29am
On baking paper, roast them all in a pan, with sea salt, cracked pepper and good olive oil until the juices have evaporated and you're left with oily caramalized little gems. Pack them into a clean sterilized jar with remaining oil, gently heat up olive oil pour over then seal. I sometimes heat oil with garlic and or rosemary for additional flavour. Your very own roasted toms to use on antipastos, pasta dishes, muffins, tepenades, hummus, over salads.

christin, Feb 1, 4:50pm
What I meant was a lot of recipes made bulk

lythande1, Feb 1, 6:53pm
Yes. but no reason you can't adjust quantities. 1/4 it or such. I've done that.

bev00, Feb 19, 10:23am
Curried Ketchup:
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Pinch ground cloves
Put the tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, curry powder, salt, pepper and cloves into a saucepan and place over high heat. Bring to a boil, stir to dissolve the sugar and cook until the tomatoes have broken down and the mixture is slightly thick, about 10 minutes. Pour the mix into a food processor and pulse until smooth. Let cool to room temperature before refrigerating. Place in a decorative bowl to serve.

Yield: 1 cup

Quotetarshlove (500 ) 2:27 pm, Sat 19 Feb #2
Sauteed Chicken with Yellow Grape Tomatoes
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
* 1 cup yellow grape tomatoes or 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Heat olive oil in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper; add to skillet. Sauté chicken until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to 2 plates. Add tomatoes and garlic to skillet; sauté 1 minute. Add balsamic vinegar and 1 tablespoon basil; sauté 30 seconds. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon basil and serve.

Quotetarshlove (500 ) 2:28 pm, Sat 19 Feb #3
Tomato Onion Tart
Pâte Brisée (tart dough) for one 10-inch tart
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
1 and 1/2 Lb yellow onions, sliced
1 and 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp balsamic vinegar (optional)
6 oz gruyère, grated
1 Lb cherry tomatoes, halved

1. Roll out the dough 1/8 inch thick. Fit into tart pan, trim, and chill 30 minutes while preparing the onions and preheating the oven.
2. Preheat the oven to 425F with racks in the bottom third and upper third of the oven. If you have a pizza stone, place it on the bottom rack.
3. Set a large, heavy pot oven medium heat. Add oil and butter. When butter is melted, add onions and salt. Cook stirring occasionally until onions are tender, about 12 minutes. Turn down the heat to medium-low and cook stirring occasionally until onions are medium brown, about 45 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar (optional), and cook stirring occasionally until onions are dark nutty brown, about 15 minutes. Take off heat and set aside.
4. Place the tart pan on a cookie sheet. Line the tart shell with parchment paper or foil and dry beans (or some other weigh) and bake in the bottom third of the oven for 18 minutes. Remove parchment paper with beans, lightly poke dough with a fork at 1/4 inch intervals to prevent it from puffing up, and return to the bottom third of the oven for 5 more minutes.
5. Turn down the oven to 375F.
6. Fill the tart shell with caramelized onions. Sprinkle with a layer of gruyère. Arrange cherry tomatoes cut side down in concentric circles starting with the outer circle and working your way in towards the center of the tart. Bake tart on the bottom rack for 15 minutes. Move tart to the top rack and bake until tomatoes are just starting to brown, 15 more minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving.

Quotetarshlove (500 ) 2:30 pm, Sat 19 Feb #4
Just throw them into some snaplock bags and freeze. You can make something with them later or just take a handful out to put in casseroles etc during Winter.

Quotekaydee16 (760 ) 2:36 pm, Sat 19 Feb #5

bev00, Feb 19, 10:25am
made this soup the other day. The only thing I did differently was added some Tabasco sauce and sour scream when I used a cup full just for a bit of a creamy kick.

ALISON HOLST’S FRESH TOMATO SOUP
1-1.5 Kg ripe red tomatoes
1 slice white or brown bread or a bread crust
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
½ tsp each of dried basil and dried oregano
1-2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 onion, chopped onion
about 2 tsp wine vinegar
Optional: parsley, bay leaf, thyme

Put the tomatoes into a large microwave casserole, halving large ones. Break the bread into small pieces and add it to the tomatoes. Sprinkle with the salt, sugar, basil and oregano, replacing the dried herbs with fresh ones if you have them. Add the chopped garlic and onions, and small quantities of other herbs you have. Cover the microwave dish, and cook until tender and mushy. Cook at HIGH power for about 10 minutes, then lower the power to 50% if you think the mixture may boil over, and cook for 10 minutes longer - if there is no danger of overflow, leave it on high power. Break up the mixture with a potato masher, leave to stand for about 5 minutes, then shake and press through a coarse sieve (I use the food processor and don’t sieve it – depends how smooth you like it or if it’s to be served as juice). Add the vinegar, tasting after 1 spoonful is mixed in. Cover and chill in the refrigerator, adjust seasonings if necessary.
If serving as JUICE pour into glasses over ice. Add a dash of hot pepper sauce or Worcestershire sauce to each glass, and put a stirring stick of celery in each glass if you like.
If serving as a COLD SOUP, pour into individual bowls just before serving. Serve like this, or pass bowls containing crisp croutons, diced celery, diced peppers, cubed tomatoes, cubed avocado, chopped cucumbers, etc.
If serving as HOT SOUP, stir in parsley or chives if desired, or stir in as much cream, crème fraiche, or sour cream as you like, making cream of tomato soup. Serve with croutons, if desired.
Note: If cooking this soup on the stove-top add the bread once the tomatoes are cooked until tender.
This soup freezes well too. :-))
245sam (17 ) 11:45 am, Fri 11 Feb #2

I've frozen mine, then the skins come off easy when thawed, and i've just made puree for now and frozen it again.
Then I can make soups, stews, pasta sauces, relish and so on later.

Quotelythande1 (586 ) 7:47 am, Mon 20 Feb #13

bev00, Feb 19, 10:28am
Gazpacho Andaluz
Fill an 8-cup food processor bowl about ¾ full with tomatoes, then to the top line with other ingredients. It is more or less in the following quantities.
4 or 5 cups tomatoes, cut into large pieces
1 large red or green pepper (I prefer red), seeded and cut into chunks
1-1 ½ large peeled cucumber, seeded and cut into 1” slices
2 large cloves garlic, peeled
2 or 3 slices fresh, quality French or similar bread, torn into large pieces
4-5 T extra virgin olive oil
3-4 T wine vinegar (red, white, or balsamic)
¼ cup warm water
Salt

Blend everything in the food processor until completely pureed. Start with the lower amount of oil and vinegar; if you are using balsamic, use a light one and use the smaller amount. I often use white balsamic. Also, avoid the temptation to use more garlic; in this case, less is more. Taste and correct for seasoning, adding salt and more oil and/or vinegar as you like. Put a sieve over a large bowl and pour in the contents of the food processor. Strain, pressing down with a wooden spoon and scraping the sieve bottom frequently. The soup should have nice body, but be completely smooth. Cover and refrigerate, and serve cold. This soup is rarely served garnished, but you can chop a little additional cucumber and pepper for the top if you want. It will keep for several days, but the emulsion will begin to break down and begin to liquefy a bit. Whisk it well before serving.

Quotetarshlove (500 ) 2:40 pm, Sat 19 Feb #6

macandrosie, Feb 28, 7:41am
They are yummy baked in oven with a slosh of olive oil, rock salt, some fresh basil & minced garlic. Cook at 180C till they begin to burst, Nice with any meat you serve or over a roast vege salad,

carlosjackal, Feb 28, 9:51am
I have an almost endless supply of tomatoes - including cherry tomatoes and earlier this week I roasted a heap of them @ 180'C with olive oil, thinly sliced garlic, oregano, basil, a sprinkling of soft brown sugar, a drizzling of Balsamic vinegar, and some salt and cracked pepper - for approx.1 hr. They are now in my freezer to later use for Bruschetta, to have with Gnocchi, and add to a myriad of other dishes during the winter when tomatoes are hellishly dear! So versatile!

leelee79, Feb 28, 9:53am
I roast them with few garlic cloves(skins on the squeeze out garlic when use) red peppers, red onions with a little oil. When carmalized let cool a little, place in jug of stick blender (squeeze out garlic) add a few sweet basil leaves and blend, pour over any pasta, can add cooked hot chicken in after blending. Yum

holly-rocks, Mar 2, 2:42am
Awesome looking jar!

I have a glasshouse full at the mo so thanks all for the recipes (:

family007, Mar 5, 6:37am
Thanks for starting this thread. I have 3 cherry tomato plants with hundreds of tomatoes on them. Might try roasting them or doing the oil thing!
thanks.

amazing_grace, Mar 5, 9:09am
Prick each one several times with a skewer, pack into steralised jars push in a handful of fresh mint and some garlic cloves as you go. Pour over the following, once it has cooled. Cider vinegar about 2c, 4T brown sugar, peppercorns, 1t salt. Heat up just enough to dissolve the sugar. Then let cool, pour over cherry tomatoes. Ready to eat in about 6 weeks. Pix here: http://www.gardeninginamberley.blogspot.co.nz/2014/03/canning-our-autumn-produce-now.html (at the back)

dk33, Mar 18, 3:34am
Easy nibbles: put out a bowl of cherry tomatoes, a little bowl of vodka and a little bowl of salt. Dip a tomato into the vodka, then dip into the salt and eat! People can control the vodka-ness and saltiness of each mouthful.
You can also flavour the salt with garlic powder or pepper or a tiny bit of cayenne pepper.

irenew, Mar 19, 8:45am
Giving some away to friends is always a nice gesture, or you could swap produce with someone who has a glut of something else that you fancy.

bev00, Mar 19, 10:12am
yumohyumohyummy .

whqqsh, Dec 13, 12:59am
My wife makes pasta sauce, because cherry tomatoes are quite sweet it tastes great