OK Tomatoes tomatoes

janzjanz, Jan 27, 7:59am
Am attempting to make my very first tomato sauce, and fresh tomato sauce for pasta (to freeze).Please help me with a fail safe recipe.But tasty, and with zing.I have oven dried some tomatoes with garlic, olive oil, salt and balsamic.They are still moist, can I store them in olive oil in the fridge or do they go off ??Much appreciated.

jessie981, Jan 27, 8:04am
Tomato recipies - over to the l/h message board. Key in what you want. Then change 24 hours to anytime. Will be info there.

jag5, Jan 27, 8:48pm
I do my tomatoes in my dehydrator, but then I store them in zip lock bags in the freezer.That way I now they are safe.If you make them up in the oil, they will go off.I make them up in the oil with garlic etc when I need them.

jag5, Jan 27, 8:50pm
I did my puree by roasting this year.Slice tomatoes in half, lay cut side up in baking dish, slice up purple onions (sweeter), peel garlic cloves and pop in whole, sprinkle with salt and pepper, some brown sugar, balsamic vinegar and olive oil.Roast 30-40 minutes then blitz.Skin will come off when done if you want to remove it.

janzjanz, Jan 28, 8:39am
Yum jag5.Sounds nice.Raining tomorrow so a lovely time for my project.Thanks for the tip on the oil.How long will they keep in the freezer as dry roasted / sun dried ??

jag5, Jan 30, 1:43am
Ages.....years perhaps.Mine never last that long LOL

The puree once done, I put into small lidded containers and freeze too.

nzbadger, Jan 31, 2:31am
Tomato Sauce (Annabel Langbein )
This incredibly useful sauce is great tossed through pasta, as a base for soup, added to casseroles and pan sauces, and spread onto bread with cheese for a simple lunch snack.
Makesabout 3 cups
1.5kg tomatoes, cored and cut into wedges
2 red capsicums, deseeded and cut into eighths
1 large onion, cut into thin wedges
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1 tsp chopped rosemary leaves
Optional: 1 small chilli, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
Black Pepper
Preheat your oven to 160C.
Prepare all the vegetables and place in a large roasting dish or two lined with baking paper. The vegetables need to be in a single layer so they roast and caramelise rather than stew.
Add the garlic, rosemary leaves and chilli, if using. In a small bowl mix together the tomato paste, sugar, olive oil, salt and black pepper. Spoon this mixture over the sliced vegetables and stir through to coat evenly.
Bake for about 2 hours or until the vegetables are starting to caramelise and shrivel a little.
Allow the sauce to cool and purée in a food processor or blender. The sauce will keep in the fridge for up to a week or can be frozen. Alternatively, bring the puréed sauce to a boil and while very hot pour into sterilised jars. Cover with pop top lids and leave to cool then seal. Sealed jars will keep for months in the pantry.

coolkiwibird, Feb 15, 5:13am
I have scored a harvest maid dehydator.With no instructions. sigh. How long and what temp should tomatoes be on? i thought I would dehydrate some and make sauce with some. and and.... Good crop this year.

fogs, Feb 15, 8:23am
Instructions with my sunbeam dehydrator
Food type Setting/drying time
Tomatoes, regular, cut into 2cm-thick wedges (dried)
6 hours
Tomatoes, Roma (egg) cut in half semi-dried
8 hours
Tomato, Roma (egg)cut in half dried
10-12 hours

coolkiwibird, Feb 15, 9:24pm
Thanks. It took 12 hours. I adjusted the temp a few times.On the whole I am pleased.Will do some more again I think and maybe play with other fruits too.