Ohh Tomatoes

Page 1 / 2
vintagekitty, Jul 13, 6:07am
$18.99 kilo today at Countdown. Far out. How much are they in the nth island?

pickles7, Jul 13, 6:12am
yaaaa.... I picked up 2 kg's for $6.00. Over ripe but got five that will last for another three days. I cooked the rest. They taste real nice for this time of the year.
At P&S they were $13.00 a kg for the firm ones.

antoniab, Jul 13, 6:14am
I never buy tomatoes in Winter :( Makes Summer extra yummy though :)

punkinthefirst, Jul 13, 6:15am
It is WINTER. They are OUT OF SEASON. We've been lucky to be able to have imported Queensland tomatoes for the last few years, which has us used to being able to buy cheap tomatoes through the winter, but the floods in Queensland this year destroyed a large portion of their vegetable crop.
Eat foods that are in season, i.e., cabbage, carrots, leeks, parsnip, etc., etc.

mandi, Jul 13, 6:36am
Hate these winter prices.Looked at the price of capsicum today at Countdown $4.99 each - ouch! and they're not even a decent size.They're off the menu until they're back in season.

proffessor_plum, Jul 13, 6:43am
Think I might have to learn how to grow them.Miss my morning tomatoe on toast....

vintagekitty, Jul 13, 6:43am
Pickles thats a good buy. And yes I know its WINTER and THEY ARE OUT OF SEASON, but I have never seen them that expensive and why blame Queensland as these were NZ Tomatoes

vintagekitty, Jul 13, 6:44am
Im now craving a juicy home grown tom sandwich with heaps of butter and salt and pepper!

motorbo, Jul 13, 7:40am
thank u, im so over people moaning about the price, its winter ffs

klc1, Jul 13, 7:52am
That's right if you eat only whats in season you look forward to what each season brings.

kay141, Jul 13, 8:04am
The NZ ones are dearer because the Queensland ones were lost in the floods and had to be replanted. No Aussie ones means a shortgae so prices go up. Supply and demand.

vintagekitty, Jul 13, 8:06am
My point being I know they are out of season and im happy to pay the out of season price if I want them but $18.99 for nz tomatoes is just greedy. No way have they ever been this price ever before. Usually they would be no more than $12 a kilo.

vintagekitty, Jul 13, 8:08am
Thanks Kay, I get it, But why are they still selling them in Aus supermarkets for $4.99 a kilo

ucanchoose, Jul 13, 8:11am
Not that cheap here

And reefer freight isn't cheap for urgent goods.

rover48, Jul 13, 8:48am
Toms on toast with heaps of butter, nothing like it.. and we think nothing of paying $4-$5 for a coffee so buy them over winter even if they are expensive..

motorbo, Jul 13, 9:14am
toms on toast, get the budget tin, not fresh -cheaper and you drop butter in the pan toms fry and reduce a bit then add fresh parsley pile on toast delish, cheaper and good for u

elliehen, Jul 13, 9:49am
Don't worry about tomatoes...eat bananas.A week ago, bananas in Melbourne were $20.00 a kilo because Australia does not allow imports and the Qiueensland banana crop was almost wiped out in the floods.

ruby19, Jul 13, 8:25pm
Yes they are out of season, but I think tomatoes are what we all think of as more as a staple.I will not buy pale large tomatoes, and look around for the smaller redder ones that are pretty good for out of season items, and they are $4.99a pkt of 8.

kiwitrish, Jul 13, 9:25pm
I paid $18.99 a kilo this week.More expensive than meat. Shocking.

veejay13, Jul 13, 9:59pm
NZ Tomatoes out-of-season have to be grown in heated glass-houses. and I'm guessing that these days all glasshouses are heated by oil (years ago when we were in market gardening we heated with coal).

The price of oil these days for market gardeners must be almost prohibitive, hence the high prices for the product....NZ grown capsicums and cucumbers would also be grown under glass at the moment.

stella99990, Jul 13, 10:07pm
$13.99 to $15.99 pak n save and countdown in Auckland. Grrr. I eat them every day so what a pain. Take the GST off fruit and veg. How much are the supermarkets profit gouging anyway.

pickles7, Jul 13, 11:21pm
yes it was. Cooked tomatoes are far better for us too. We like them raw or cooked on toast for breakfast.

indy95, Jul 13, 11:47pm
Tomatoes were $13 a kilo at Pak'n'Save here today and they were the palest tomatoes I have seen for a very long time.

prawn_whiskas, Jul 13, 11:55pm
Most Tomatoes in NZ are grown in Climate controlled hot houses.. which makes them season-less, they can and are grown year round.. current prices are just price gouging for the sake of it... much like petrol prices.

grannypam, Jul 13, 11:59pm
our quick meal is..

some chopped onion fried in butter... add a tin of tomatoes.. if whole then chop up a bit.. add a teasp sugar, salt and pepper to taste and when bubbling ..thicken with cornflour paste..

yummy on toast and cheap.