Bottling Cheery tomatoes...

rodcindy, Mar 28, 12:38am
Does anyone have a recipe please ?? PS My oven is not working so I need another method !!Thanks in advance

rodcindy, Mar 28, 12:39am
OOPS ... CHERRY TOMATOES lol

elliehen, Mar 28, 1:02am
Old-fashioned 'overflow' method works for tomatoes.Boil up on top of the stove and fill sterilised jars to overflowing, cap with seals and screwtops and wait for the seal to pop down.

Edited to add...unless you're trying to keep them looking like pretty red marbles, of course.Boiling on top will mush them.

rodcindy, Mar 28, 2:23am
I wanted them to saty whole preferrably :-) .. and do you add anything else ?

suzanna, Mar 28, 1:01pm
I free-flow mine in the freezer. Just freeze on a tray and then tip into a bag. Worked for me and it was good to have them through the winter. As a bonus I do not ever want to clean up a pantry floor laden with my preserves ever again having done it after both earthquakes! I think I'd rather run the risk of losing power as at least we would have food and be able to give some away. Easier if you're pushed for time too. Cheers.

seaturtle, Mar 28, 7:00pm
Hi try this
pack your jars with raw tomatoes
pour over your prepared water with salt /citric acid ect
then sit the jars a few at a time in a large preserving pan with water three quarters up the side of the jars place the lids on the jars and place the screw bands on loosly then heat the water to a slow boil this will take a while but the seals will suck down when the tomatos are cooked
lift them out carefully and tighten the screw bands and leave to cool
the tomatoes should look cooked ( a slightly darker red) but this way keeps them whole in the jars

rodcindy, Mar 29, 12:38am
Does anyone have a recipe please ! PS My oven is not working so I need another method !Thanks in advance

rodcindy, Mar 29, 12:39am
OOPS . CHERRY TOMATOES lol

elliehen, Mar 29, 1:02am
Old-fashioned 'overflow' method works for tomatoes.Boil up on top of the stove and fill sterilised jars to overflowing, cap with seals and screwtops and wait for the seal to pop down.

Edited to add.unless you're trying to keep them looking like pretty red marbles, of course.Boiling on top will mush them.

rodcindy, Mar 29, 2:23am
I wanted them to saty whole preferrably :-) . and do you add anything else !

suzanna, Mar 29, 1:01pm
I free-flow mine in the freezer. Just freeze on a tray and then tip into a bag. Worked for me and it was good to have them through the winter. As a bonus I do not ever want to clean up a pantry floor laden with my preserves ever again having done it after both earthquakes! I think I'd rather run the risk of losing power as at least we would have food and be able to give some away. Easier if you're pushed for time too. Cheers.