Green tomatoes,not ripe

1_blondie, Dec 13, 8:01am
ive got too many tomatoes growing for my needs,is it a wifetale you can make something with green tomatoes

lilyfield, Dec 13, 8:07am
yes- yummy chutney

1_blondie, Dec 13, 8:23am
so green as tomatoes ok with this,ill google green tomatoe chutney

smoocher, Dec 13, 8:28am
You could try Fried Green Tomatoes.
I found this recipe and it seems to have rave reviews.
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/best-fried-green-tomatoes/Detail.aspx

kuaka, Dec 13, 8:29am
or if you just leave the green tomatoes in a cardboard box in a dark place, they will eventually ripen.We used to take a "tomato" box full of green tomatoes away with us on our yacht every summer, put them in the bow of the boat just above the waterline, and they would ripen slowly over the next 3 to 6 weeks.And yes, green tomato chutney is easy to make and yummy!

donald6, Dec 13, 10:27am
My mum used to make green tomato jam, it was delicious but I don't have a recipe now. Someone else might know of it.

cgvl, Dec 13, 8:03pm
donald6. I make Green Tomatoe and Ginger Jam, its yummy.
Recipe:
6lb (3kg) Green tomatoes
6lb (3kg) Sugar
6 lemons
4oz (112gm) preserved Ginger or thereabouts.

Slice 3 of the lemons,
juice the other 3,
chop tomatoes,
chop ginger into smaller pieces.
combine in a large preserving pan and leave to stand overnight.

Next day bring to boil, cook until soft and add sugar. Boil until at setting stage. Bottle.

cgvl, Dec 13, 8:04pm
oh you can make in smaller quantities. I also use more ginger than recipe states but only because I love ginger.

michelle313, Dec 13, 11:24pm
green tomato salsa!I so miss that!Delish!Mom used to make it up and can it every summer.We would eat it with everything.

maryteatowel1, Dec 14, 12:37am
...the only thing my grandmother cooked that was any good was green tomato jam...i love it!!!...the ginger makes it!!!

1_blondie, Dec 14, 6:57am
is that sweet or savoury?

cgvl, Dec 14, 7:15am
its sweet, a jam. really yummy on toast.
I've never used it as a savoury dish, was my grannies recipe and would have been made as a sweet jam like strawberry etc.

donald6, Dec 14, 11:33am
Made a lovely jam tart too, one of my fav memories. thanks cgvl

cgvl, Oct 28, 5:51pm
no problems donald. I have a few favourites which I am happy to share from time to time. That is one.
I have a marmalade one which is popular too, has ginger in it as well.
Usually buy 2 packets of ginger, 1 to eat while chopping the other packet for jams etc lol