Green Tomatoes

hil53, May 3, 12:28am
I have lots of green tomatoes that need to be taken out of the garden. Got very cold last night, so don't want to waste them. Any recipes for relish/pickles please.

jag5, May 3, 1:48am
If you go to the left of the page, type in green tomato relish under keyword, Date Posted Anytime, plenty of recipes will come up. In same boat. But you can also freeze them to use up later on.

harrislucinda, May 3, 2:46am
ormakemy chocolatecakeusinggreentomato

cgvl, May 3, 2:49am
I have a green tomato and ginger jam recipe, its really nice.
the usual amount of fruit (in this case tomatoes) to sugar and add crystalised ginger to it. Basically a packet to every 1. 5kg of tomatoes.
watch carefully after adding sugar as it will set real quick lol

karenz, May 3, 3:31am
Did you ever see the movie FRIED GREEN TOMATOES AT THE WHISTLESTOP CAFE? Wonderful movie and apparently fried green tomatoes are a popular dish in the American South. If you google fried green tomatoes recipe there are variations. but basically cut thick rounds of tomatoes and dip in either egg flour and breadcrumbs or cornmeal and fry in either olive or any other vegetable oil or bacon fat. I suspect the cornmeal and bacon fat variation is the original.

hil53, May 3, 11:33am
Thank you guys. You are all great and very helpful, and yes I did see the movie, it was great.

cgvl, May 4, 4:52am
oops I forgot the lemons in the jam recipe its 1 finely sliced lemon and the juice of a 2nd lemon per 1kg of tomatoes.
Sorry about that I just remembered to check recipe.
I love the jam but don't get to make it often as we don't seem to get an over abundance of green tomatoes anymore.

indy95, May 5, 2:18am
I heard or read somewhere very recently that green tomatoes have a high pectin content which means they can be chopped up and added to jam mixtures which don't usually set very readily.

uli, May 5, 4:34am
The fried green tomatoes are actually just that - a green tomato. Not an unripe red tomato.

The green ones go from bright green to a yellowish green when ripe.

Unfortunately a lot of people who do not know much about heirloom tomatoes have no clue that these are ripe sweet lovely tomatoes and so try to "recycle" their unripe green ones LOL :)

Don't do it :)

Let them ripen in the house. Most of them will go red or even orange - by which time they can be used in salads or in cooking.

martine5, May 5, 5:08am
Gosh you learn something new each day. Thanks had no idea

uli, May 5, 7:29am
I thought it may be a new concept to some of you LOL- Happy growing and cooking :)

jag5, Apr 3, 1:07pm
Also, if tomatoes on the vine are still green, but vine dead, pull vine out, hang upside down in a warm airy place, and the tomatoes will continue to ripen. Amazing but true.