Green tomatoes

rainrain1, May 22, 11:20pm
does anyone have a recipe for a hot chutney. tried and true thanks

hezwez, May 23, 8:32pm
rainrain this is presumably tried and true by the authors of the Otago University Pickles & Relishes
GREEN TOMATO CHUTNEY
2 kg (7-10) green tomatoes
3 green apples
2 & 1/2 cups diced onion or shallot
1 & 1/4 cups raisins
3 cups brown sugar
2 & 1/2 cups vinegar
3 teaspoons salt
8 red chillies
root ginger
OR 1/2 teaspoons chilli powder
2 teaspoons ground ginger

Dice vegetable. Cook in water* until tender, drain. Sieve. Tie chillies and root ginger in muslin bag. Combine all ingredients. Cook slowly until thick and smooth (1 & 1/2 - 2 hours). Stir frequently. Pour into sterilised jars and seal while hot.

Note: 1 teaspoon whole cloves and 1 teaspoon allspice berries may replace chillies for milder spicier flavour.

* no quantity of water mentioned in list of ingredients, presumably just to cover

rainrain1, May 23, 8:49pm
Thankyou very much hezwez, that's sounds good. No-one eats the usual green tomato relish so thought I'd try a bit of heat

rainrain1, May 23, 11:53pm
This recipe is more like a green sauce than a chutney, I left out the raisins, added about 5 red chilli (seeds in), and a 2 inch piece of ginger in with the vegetables, drained everything when cooked, then used a stick blender. Added the rest of ingredients, now its bubbling away on the stove. It has just the right heat that I'm after, and it rocks!

hezwez, Jul 15, 9:57am
That's amazing rainrain! I may even try it myself.