To many tomatoes what can I do with them help????

judz46, Jan 22, 2:59am
can anyone help out with the Edmond's tomato relish please!

lythande1, Jan 22, 3:01am
Just freeze them, make whatever later.
I'm going puree - then make stuff later, and I'll do a bit of relish too.

kob, Jan 22, 3:54am
you could alwasy stew a few with a little sugar, just dice quite small and add enough sugar to just tsate a little sweet but not to much, and then either bottle in sterilized jars or freeze in small marg containers it is lovely to have for breakfast with bacon and eggs and so cheap to make

gardie, Jan 22, 4:15am
Last year, I chopped them up and put them into bags - they were much easier to use from frozen that way - straight into bolognese etc.

picxie, Jan 22, 4:20am
Yep, I'm another who freezes. That way you can use them for whatever you like later on. Curries, stews, soup . yum. Can't wait till mine start producing! They have little green babies at the moment.

jessie981, Jan 22, 6:38am
Edmonds Relish
12 lge peeled tomatoes
4 lge onions
25gr salt
500gr br sugar
vinegar
1TBSP mustard & curry powder
2TBSPs flour
3 chillies
Cut tomatoes & onions into pieces. Sprinkle with salt & leave overnight. Next day pour liquid off, put tomato & onions into a perserving pan with sugar & chillies. Add enough vinegar to cover. Bring to boil. Simmer 90 mins. Mix flour, curry powder & mustard to a smooth paste with a little cold vinegar. Add to mixture & boil 5 mins. Pour into sterlized jars & cover when cold.
Tomato Chutney
2.2kg green tomatoes
6 lge onons
1.3kg apples
1lte vinegar
100gr salt
1tsp white pepper
2tsps cloves
2 chillies
1kg br sugar
500gr seedless raisins
225gr sliced lemon peel
Cut up tomatoes & apples, add remainder of ingredients. Boil 3 hrs or longer.
bottle & cover when cold.

jessie981, Jan 22, 6:45am
Green Tomato Jam (Aunt Daisy)
3lb tomatoes
3lb sugar
3 lemons
Slice tomatoes & mince lemons (keep juice). Put into a buttered pan with sufficient water to prevent sticking. Boil 10 mins.
Stir in warmed sugar, stir till dissolved.
Boil till jam sets when tested.

sunshinebay, Feb 4, 3:49am
I have way to many tomatoes any ideas what to do with them.

mas45, Feb 4, 5:04am
Tomatoe relish from the Edmonds cook book or for something different I just made a batch of raspberry jam using tomatoes.

fifie, Feb 4, 5:34am
Cut in half roast them with a splash of olive oil, balsamic vinegar S/Pepper, few herbs and some cloves ofpeeled garlic, bits of peeled onions, about 1 hour till soft then put through a moulli to make a sauce and freeze in snaplock bags for using in pasta, with meatballs, spaghetti bol, etc in winter.

rotorbladz, Feb 4, 5:35am
Pasta sauce:I've just posted what I do with toms in the Beetroot thread.

jag5, Feb 4, 6:24am
Freeze them, then when weather cooler make sauce and soup.Too hot to do now...always freeze, they use later.

babytears, Feb 4, 6:50am
I made Ketchup just recently from the River Cottage book, it was also on his programme where he sold it at a farmers market... pretty good stuff - especially because my family are T-sauce freaks

sunshinebay, Feb 4, 6:54am
do you have the recipe please my look are suce freaks as well