Cooking mushrooms

Page 2 / 2
brucerae, Oct 30, 9:51am
I welcome and appreciate the beautiful ideas and suggestions in this thread . does anyone else have any more ideas or inspirational thoughts about how to get the best out of mushrooms?

uli, Oct 30, 10:01pm
can't lose this thread either.

eastie3, Oct 31, 12:58am
My favourite mushroom dish is to pan fry them with butter/avocado oil over a high heat, keep them moving in the pan. I add chopped thyme, season well and use a good splash of sherry vinegar.

Serve on grilled or toasted sourdough bread.

lythande1, Oct 31, 1:30am
Yes, it does come out of the mushrooms. If they had no water at all, they'd be dried mushrooms. LOL.
Cornflour is fine.
Cornflour is also weird. try an experiment - mix it up into a thick paste. Then leave it.
It will alternately go rock hard, sludgey etc.
It has odd properties.

Just give the leftover a stir then reheat, the consistency will correct itself.

rainrain1, Oct 31, 3:44am
Balsamic Mushrooms

350 grm large flat mushrooms sliced
50 grm butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic crushed
1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons white wine
Salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter and oil, add garlic and mushrooms. Cook, stirring until almost done. Add the wine and vinegar, cook for a further 2 minutes. Check for seasoning, serve and enjoy.

brucerae, Nov 1, 5:42am
What exactly is this? vodka? tequila? whiskey? water?

echoriath, Nov 1, 5:51am
Whatever wets your whistle, but I prefer single malt whisky. A bit of gin or a splash of aged tequila could be interesting, the latter particularly if making a Mexican meal.

socram, Nov 1, 6:00am
Try a splash of sherry/marsala or similar sweetish red wine, then add sour cream and a small dollop of sweet chilli sauce. I use the same for fish, steak, and chicken for a lightning fast sauce!

Also try sour cream and five spice, or smoked paprika.

b_k_mcdonald, Nov 1, 6:41am
Woohoo! This opens up new possibilities! - Hmmm . tequila – maybe I should experiment and explore this, other kinds of mushrooms and various wild fungi - thanks Echoriath. I will look into this, and report back to you.

dianavan, Nov 1, 7:17am
That's why I leave them in the fridge till they start to shrivel, so much more taste as the water is beginning to leave before I cook them,the really old ones are great in stews as the flavor really intensifys.

samanya, Nov 1, 7:29am
I'd rather drink the single malt!
I just use a capfull of the 'quaffing' whisky (never the Laphroaig) . although a thimble full of Laphroaig, might add a wonderful peaty taste!

gettinggrey, Nov 1, 7:34am
I usually just eat them raw. That's a fresh one that I picked as I walked across the paddock. Give a wee look under the cap in case of a wriggly critter or two though. Store bought, yeah I cook them.
Nice sliced in a salad, or with bacon.
Did I mention the bacon?
Don't forget the bacon.

brucerae, Nov 1, 8:38am
Any other good suggestions?

angelwoman, Nov 1, 9:13am
Don't wash them. The hot cooking kills any bacteria ect. Hot toss them in butter oil mix and turn heat down before they burn. they should be perfecto'

brucerae, Nov 1, 9:27am
Hey, that's good advice - thank you! I will try that .

echoriath, Nov 1, 10:12am
Exactly!

sarahb5, Nov 1, 9:13pm
Add a splash of balsamic vinegar when the pan is really hot so that the liquid cooks off but you're left with the flavour

uli, Nov 1, 11:15pm
I love them plump, heavy and fresh and I will cook them in my trusty steel fry pan on maximum heat - olive oil gets hot in 1 second - then throw in sliced or quartered mushrooms, bacon and onions and shift around as fast as possible. They will even gain a brown colour if you do that, not leak any water - as it all steams off - and they are excellent within 3 minutes flat. Add chopped parsley in the last second.

Warning: Do not try this at home . if you have a non-stick coated frypan! You will be eating the non-stick together with the mushrooms!

retired, Nov 2, 12:35am
Well I really cheat and my Grandaugter asked me for the recipe! I peel mushrooms but only because I do not want to get them wet and they have had a lot of handling! Using a little oil and some finely chopped onion fry, then when almost cooked add a packet of Mushroom Cup of Soup, any brand, with half recommended water. Lovely mushrooms in thick sauce. I also, sometimes, part with a glug of my red wine!

samanya, Nov 2, 7:43am
I wouldn't call that cheating. If you like it, that's what it's all about. It sounds nice.

nauru, Jul 29, 5:47pm
I do something similar adding some crushed garlic, a splash of soy sauce and some chopped chives or parsley. Great on wholegrain toast or with fresh pull apart bread.