Pickled Mushrooms

brosph, Feb 13, 1:55am
Any of you lovley people out there have a recipe for pickling mushrooms. Would so love to preserve several jars.
Cheers

cookessentials, Feb 13, 2:06am
somewhere, I have the original recipe from Parkvale Mushrooms here in the Wairarapa for their beautiful pickled button mushrooms. I shall see if i can find it for you.

cookessentials, Feb 13, 2:09am
Ingredients:
1 kg small Parkvale Gourmet Brown La Button mushrooms + water to cover
Simmer the Parkvale La Button mushrooms in the water until just tender – approximately 3 minutes. Strain.

300 mils wine vinegar
2 large cloves garlic
2 bay leaves
1 onion – diced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon pickling spice
4 dessertspoons brown sugar – more or less, depending on personal taste.
Dice the onion, crush the garlic, and lightly sauté them in the oil. Add all other ingredients. Stir to dissolve the brown sugar. Pour over the mushrooms and leave for several hours in the refrigerator before eating.
These are excellent served with a selection of cheeses, cold meats, crackers; whatever takes your fancy. Especially good with Feta cheese and olives . Lovely tossed through a salad also.
Pickled Parkvale La Buttons need to be eaten within 2 – 3 weeks, but are so delicious they will be gone within one week! !

brosph, Feb 13, 3:40am
x1
cookessentials
You are wonderful. Thank you soooo much.

cookessentials, Feb 13, 5:27am
No worries. The used to make them for sale here, but were not cost effective. We used to buy them in sealed tubs and then once opened, we kept them in the fridge - make sure you use the smallest buttons you can find.

vinee, Aug 7, 7:04pm
Yum yum yum yum.
Love 'shrooms.