Where to buy Porcini Mushrooms in Whangarei

stells3, Nov 10, 2:11am
Does anyone know where I can get some porcini mushrooms for the rissotto I plan on cooking tonight?

uli, Nov 10, 9:34pm
Nope - can't buy them here in Whangarei. Some delis have them dried and imported from Italy.

But in autumn you go hunting their close cousins in the pine plantations here and dry your own - I still have about 6 huge jars from a few years back - just make sure you know when they doused the lot with poison last (if it is not you own pines) ...

stells3, Nov 11, 4:38am
I meant the dried variety.I know I've seen them somewhere but can't remember where.I've tried Bin Inn and NW but couldn't see them there.Must be some sort of deli that stocks them.

princess4, Nov 13, 11:30pm
Hi. Have a look a few shops past sports hunting and fishing heading towards the public library, there use to be an asian food shop tucked in a small shop last year, I got some dried goods for backpacking there.It may still be there, worth checking to see.Otherwise ask some asain sop owners were to buy the mushrooms from. Pak in save only has dried Shitakke mushrooms.Wich I use.Cheers Heather

davidt4, Nov 14, 12:07am
I doubt that you will find porcini in an Asian food shop - I've never seen them and I shop in Asian food markets all the time.If you buy Asian dried mushrooms they will taste quite different and won't work in Italian recipes that require porcini.

You might have to get them by mail order from somewhere like Sabato.

princess4, Nov 14, 2:30am
Hi.Porcini Mushrooms are available online at www.sabato co.nz.20 gram $10.90, lager packs available.I buy asain sauces ectra at www.asainfoodwharehouse.co.nz.They have Whole dried Shitake Dali mushrooms.I buy most of my sauces here as they cost only $3 to $6 a bottle compared to the supermarket prices.Usually just $4 for courier.Cheers Heather

dreamers, Aug 3, 7:02pm
I buy them in NW from a jar in the deli department