Recipes for super food intolerant child's snacks

wendalls, Feb 20, 4:28am
My friends boy who has multiple allergies is also excluding a few more foods at the moment(not sure why ?new allergy)
Can anyone suggest recipes or websites with recipes that exclude the following: sugar, gluten, dairy, egg, ALL GRAINS, rice, potato, peanuts. Other nuts are ok.
A tough one huh?
I seem to remember seeing a highly recommended book by a woman who made her own stuff that excluded some of these products somewhere, either facebook or here. Any ideas?

buzzy110, Feb 20, 5:02am
Kale crisps - wash leaves, pull off the inedible centre stem, cut to size, use hands to toss in a little bit of EV olive, avocado or macadamia nut oil and salt to taste then bake for about 15-20mins at 180dC. Yumble

At this time of the year my daughter makes her children scarlett runner beans (cooked whole till just tender), baby tomatoes and chunks of cucumber.

Chunks of cold meat - i.e. free range chicken can be used for dipping in homemade guacamole or hummus.

buzzy110, Feb 20, 5:17am
I have a pkt of Cathedral Cove Naturals Raw Activated Super Cereal here. I will be blending it up with coconut butter (Coconut meat blended till it is smooth. The coconut oil separates out and has to be mixed back in), coconut oil and a bit of honey) and making the paste into balls. Absolutely delicious. Could also press it into a baking tin and cut into slices. The ingredients are of the mix are:

Activated - buckwheat (not a grain), sunflower seeds, coconut, pumpkin seeds, millet, amaranth, and not activated currants, unhulled sesame seeds, cacao nibs, chia seeds and freeze-dried raspberries.

It would be simply a matter of buying a selection of similar, if any of the ingredients in the mix don't suit, or same ingredients and making your own mix.

davidt4, Feb 20, 5:27am
Not really. The child can eat meat, fish and most vegetables, fruit, nuts (peanuts are a legume, not a nut), olive oil. Check if other legumes are forbidden and if not then there are chick peas, lentils and other beans to add to the repertoire. Just make normal from meals from scratch with real ingredients and avoid processed sauces.

buzzy110, Feb 20, 5:36am
And if using the legumes for snacks then scooping out tomatoes and filling with pastes made from the legumes would be nice as well. Can also use chicken live pate - i.e. homemade has no eggs, flour, sugar, gluten, potato or anything else on the forbidden list.

Have you looked at introducing fermented foods, such as sauerkraut, bone broths , probiotics and prebiotics into his diet in order to help with the allergies?

A good book to read on this subject would be Dr Natasha Campbell-McBrides book on the GAPS Diet. One poster I know of in here has had a lot of success in the area of allergies. She has gone on to study about resistant starch as well, which helps carry probiotics through the harsh stomach into the intestines where they can do the most good.

frances1266, Feb 20, 7:30am
Go to the OneGreenPlanet site and try their vegan cheese recipes, most made from nuts, usually cashew but they are really delicious. You can make crackers
from ground almonds that are really nice. Dips from hummus, cannellini beans with veg sticks are nice also. Heaps of recipes on vegan blogs.

donnabeth, Feb 20, 10:22am
It's scary trying to provide a 'normal' meal for a friend without making them feel like they are a burden to you. Needing to plan ahead takes away some of the spontaneity that friends share over food.

What I found unusual with my friend and his children, is that they can eat some foods alone, but combine two 'safe' foods at the same meal, and they have an anaphalaxic reaction. I can get by with bread, rice and some fruits, but always plan ahead and check with them first.

mjhdeal, Feb 10, 5:17pm
Would that be the Petite Kitchen cookbooks? http://www.petite-kitchen.com/