The best thing you ever did with lentils.

Page 2 / 2
chchers, Jun 15, 10:15pm
If you are new to lentils the best way to start using them is to disguise them. Boil your green lentils and then freeze them in little bundles. Add a little bundle to soups, mince (eg lasagna mince or nacho mince), any Indian style dish. You will soon find out what way you enjoy them most, The red/orange lentils cook the fastest and turn into mush, so they are much more subtle in dishes.

roshu, Jun 16, 12:08am
I wonder if some people binned them because they were hard and inedible. If that is the case you need to know that if you are cooking them from scratch (dry lentils) do NOT add any salt until tender otherwise they will not tenderise ever. Once cooked, drain and add your other ingredients including salt or soy sauce.

hestia, Jun 16, 12:41am
Legumes are a good source of protein, more so than other fresh vegetables. It is a good addition to the diet for those of us who are wary of consuming too much meat.

motorbo, Jun 16, 2:48am
lentil burger patties are yum. and I love lentil salads

frances1266, Jun 16, 4:40am
Havent tried them myself but have heard Alison Holst's lentil burgers are very good.

samanya, Jun 16, 4:50am
Thanks hestia, I did know that, but I'm not a vegetarian although lean that way & have cut back on meat a heap . as a lot of us have these days.

buzzy110, Jun 16, 5:12am
Legumes really should be soaked till they just start to sprout and the soaking water tossed. This will get rid of anti-nutrients and enzyme inhibitors, both of which cause bloating and difficulty with digestion.

Lentils supposedly don't require soaking but I always used to anyway.

Remember that legumes should not have salt added to the cooking medium until they are fully softened, or they will stay hard, once again causing difficulties with digestion and bloating as well as palatability.

I used to pre-cook lentils and then use them in any dish that mince would be used - i.e. instead of the mince. You are limited only by your imagination. From past experience I do not think it a good idea to mix them with pasta, potatoes or rice as they definitely caused me extra painful bloating.

davidt4, Jun 16, 5:33am
Same here. I hardly ever eat dried legumes, but I do make hummus. I soak the chick peas for 24 hours or longer in a couple of changes of water, then cook them without salt until they are completely soft. I can eat the hummus without any digestive upsets.

I also make versions of hummus using beetroot, carrot or other root vege as a base instead of chick peas, and the flavours of tahini, garlic and lemon are even tastier than in the chick pea version.

hestia, Jun 16, 8:00am
You're welcome.

frances1266, Jun 16, 6:59pm
Yesterday I made the lentil recipe from 101 cookbooks, link at post 12 above. It is really delicious. I used olive oil instead of dairy.

jynx66, Jun 17, 2:54am
There are many lentil recipes on that page: which particular one are you referring to.

frances1266, Jun 17, 3:03am
Lentils with wine glazed vegetables, post no. 11 and 12.

vomo2, Jun 18, 8:58am
Buy a can of lentils. Drain , add half to mince and freeze the rest

jordon, Jun 19, 2:49am
we make lentil burger patties or use them in a lasagne instead of meat

bev00, Jun 19, 11:22am
for lentil lovers

deanna14, Jun 21, 7:43am
I made lentil rissoles and the recipe required Coriander, which I don't like so I used dried Cumin, they were awesome, hot or cold. Lost the recipe in the EQ, but I'm sure their all fairly similar.

deanna14, May 12, 12:58am
Today I was too rushed so I bought a Lisa's hummus, I don't remember which one it was as I had to take it to a lunch, but it came with a packet of toasted pumpkin seeds that you sprinkled on top, it was awesome. So when I make my hummus the toasted pumpkin seeds are going to be a must.