Best way to cook venison fillet

budley3, Aug 6, 3:40am
i have a venison fillet given to me what is best way to cook roast or fry

davidt4, Aug 6, 4:01am
Season well, brush with oil and sear in a heavy pan over high heat until well browned.Place in a moderate oven for about 10 minutes (for rare) or 15 min (medium rare).Remove from oven and rest 10 min on a board with foil tented over.Alternatively you can cut the fillet into thick steaks and cook exactly as you would cook beef fillet steaks - season and sear over high heat and continue over medium heat until cooked to your liking.Rest meat 5 minutes before serving.

It is important not to overcook venison as it is a very lean meat and dries out readily.

budley3, Aug 6, 4:18am
thanks david , helen have been told to soak in red wine overnight is that ok or not

davidt4, Aug 6, 5:27am
I wouldn't soak it in wine as I don't like the way wet marinades pickle the meat.If it is a fillet it will be very tender and won't need any tenderising.Venison fillet is such a treat that I would serve it quite plain, on the rare side of medium-rare, with a compound butter of some sort - maybe anchovy and garlic butter, or parsley and garlic butter.

cwnda, Aug 6, 6:08am
It will taste even better if you invite me for tea .

kj369, Aug 6, 6:18am
Marinate with soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar and honey, only needs 20/30 mins then fry on med/high heat, needs very little cooking, 10 mins, 15 at most.
Son-in- law is a hunter and we have venison back straps often

anne1955, Aug 6, 6:29am
cwda Has it I was going to say don't cook it send it to me I'll cook it.:)

nfh1, Aug 6, 7:41am
I just slice thickly, brush with oil and pan fry in a very hot pan.It is my very favourite thing for dinner and so quick and easy to cook.

beaker59, Aug 6, 12:09pm
Is it real fillet or Back steak I cook the same as Davidt4 suggested though if real fillet then I cook rarer than Backsteaks just out of pure respect for the far better cut. (you are inded very favoured to be given fillet, I certainly wouldn't give it away not that I get many) best piece of meat I have ever eaten was a Fillet from a fat Sika spika shot off Clements road mmmmmmmmmmm

budley3, Aug 7, 6:41am
thanks for ideas i pored red wine over fillets left for 1 hour seared on hot plate then roasted for 45 mins already had wild pork cooking for 2 hrs served with pork and venison gravy and vegs it was delicious now going to have ice cream and peaches yum yum yum