Whole Eye Fillet

otterhound, Dec 7, 11:46pm
What's the best, simplest way to cook this please!I'm guessing oven, but should it be browned first, and should I wrap in in foil!TIA=)

firemansgirl, Dec 7, 11:52pm
Ideally it should be seared on the outside before being placed in the oven. You can do this in a large frying pan but I prefer to use the BBQ. Once the fillet is seared on all sides it can be left to roast at 180°C for 30-40 minutes in the oven. Tying the eye fillet isn't necessary but does help the beef to cook more evenly. I don't cover it with foil until it is out of the oven and resting, and then only over the top, not totally encased.

lythande1, Dec 8, 2:34am
I have a recipe, you cut thick slices - not all the way through. You then thin slice peppers, beans etc and place in the cuts. Wrap and bake.

otterhound, Dec 8, 3:18am
Oh lythande that sounds promising!Can you elaborate a little for me please!=)
Firemansgirl - does the fillet not dry out in the oven!do you add any fat of any kind (since the fillet has none whatsoever)!.

firemansgirl, Dec 8, 4:34am
Mine never dried out. I did use a 2kg piece of fillet though. It cooked medium- to rare.

otterhound, Dec 8, 4:39am
Cheers=)Mine's only 750 g so will reduce cooking time considerably.

marblicious, Dec 8, 4:51am
I'd bring it up to room temperature, season it with salt and pepper, sear it in a frying pan and then blast it in the oven for 5-7 minutes at 220c. Don't forget to rest it.

carlosjackal, Dec 8, 5:26am
I would suggest making Beef Wellington:

http://www.masterchef.com.au/recipes/beef-wellington.htm

I've made this a few times over the years and more recently made it using this Masterchef recipe. It's too long to copy and paste so decided to just post the link.

I've edited this post to say that this recipe is by no means difficult - there's quite a bit to do.but definitelyN O Tdifficult!

otterhound, Dec 8, 7:53am
We've eaten most of it=)Did as firemansgirl suggested - seared it in a cast iron frying pan, put into an oven dish (with a lid) and in the oven at 180 degrees.Took about 20 minutes to be perfectly cooked - and between the 2 of us we've eaten 3/4 of a 750 gm fillet.Easy and delicious.We get a lot of eye fillet which I usually slice and freeze, but had 3 yesterday so thought we'd try one whole.The dog had the top and tail of the fillet for tea . and loved it=)

motorbo, Dec 8, 10:21am
jesus feeding the dog eye fillet.do you get it free! last time i was in nz it cost the earth

otterhound, Dec 9, 2:14am
I've used eye fillet to make a stew when I'vebeen short of cooking time!Chickens usually get the top and tail (finely chopped).We get more than our fair share of it, for free - to the point that I get sick of eating it and long for a decent scotch fillet.
Whenever we have a beast given to us for hounds, if it's in good nick, we take out the eye fillets.We get through a couple of beasts a week!