scotch fillet

braithy, Apr 1, 7:27am
Has anyone any good ideason how to cook this and keep it soft and palatable not hard and chewy. Not having much luck in this department.

ajay12, Apr 1, 7:37am
We cook ours three minutes each side on very high heat and it is unbelieveably perfect!

martine5, Apr 1, 7:44am
If you want meat that isn't chewy you need to take it off the heat for about 5 or 6 minutes before you serve it, I keep it covered and warm. This allows the meat to "relax" and it tends to be more tender. If you are already doing this maybe change butchers.

aphra1, Apr 1, 7:45am
Only turn once and make sure you rest on the plate for a good 3 minutes ( or you could rest the steak on the plate if you didn't fit).

natalie9, Apr 1, 7:51am
lol took me a minute to get that!

glendeb, Apr 1, 8:03am
How thick is the piece you are cooking. I find if its too thick it takes too long to cook and can go tough and chewy. About 1-1. 5cm thick is perfect.

braithy, Apr 1, 8:13am
This is from a home kill.

jag5, Apr 1, 8:33am
Needs to be hot... . to seal the outside, and keep the juices in. Cook fast and hot, turning only once, then let it rest ona plate for 2-3 minutes to relax again. This should be done will all meat. If meat is tough, it generally hasn't been rested long enough. During cooking all the muscle contracts, if not rested to relax again, will be tough.

Some say if you clench your fist, poke the area between thumb and index finger... . . that is basically how your steak should feel when done. Whatever you do, do not overcook. Pink in the middle is perfect. Enjoy

ajay12, Apr 1, 8:43am
Jag5 couldn't have said it better. Nothing better than home kill meat (as ours is) yum yum!

1buzemum, Apr 1, 8:57am
I can't understand how you could cook scotch fillet wrong it is one of the better cuts of meat. fillet and ribeye are the 2 cuts I don't stew so it must be a good steak

sorry I am not trying to put you down just wondering if it really is scotch fillet or is a butcher ripping you off.

biker_69, Apr 1, 12:04pm
For those thin cut ones, high heat and brief.

For thicker cuts (1" plus) age it in the fridge for 3-4 days, use a heavy pan with a high initial heat to sear, turned down immediately to med-low heat.

Be sure to rest on a pre-heated plate after cooking too.

zorrodog, Apr 2, 2:31am
just sear both sides in a ovenproof pan and pop it into a medium oven to finish. Perfect. Just keep an eye on it, don't overcook it. You may need a couple of meals to get it right. And rest it like the others say.

superdave0_13, Apr 2, 6:12am
You have just about answered your own question there LOL.
Always cook your steak from room temperature as it will require less cooking.

martine5, Apr 2, 6:48am
Then I would imagine you haven't hung it long enough. when did you kill it and how long have you hung it?

twindizzy, Apr 2, 6:55am
room temp
olive oil and sea salt
hot pan then rest
serve

biker_69, Apr 2, 2:02pm
This one I forgot. Never cook it straight from the fridge.

uli, Dec 26, 5:45pm
Maybe you cook it too long and slow?
Or from frozen?
Or with too much liquid attached so it cooks rather than fries?

As said above high heat, and not too long, turn once and then let rest. I just put a lid on the fry pan.