How do I cook a 'whole beef eye fillet'

cookessentials, May 18, 4:08am
I did a whole scotch fillet roast on Saturday. I started with room temp meat and rubbed a little oil into the fat on the top and some freshly ground sea salt, rubbing it in well. Oven temp to 200C and roasted for 1 hour 15 mins ( this gave us a pinkish roast beef)
I let it rest for 10 mins before slicing thinly and i served it with horseradish cream... it was just beautiful.

cookessentials, May 18, 4:09am
Here is a link to Cuisine with a nice recipe
http://www.cuisine.co.nz/index. cfm? pageID=50940&r=4

cookessentials, May 18, 4:12am
http://www.beeflambnz.co.nz/downloads/Brochure_BeefCuts. pdf if you scroll to page two there are the instructions on cooking various cuts. The method i used was told to me by the local butcher i bought the meat from. If you are wanting to do roast vege with it, all I did was pre-cook the vege I was using ( microwaved pumpkin, potato pieces etc) and then popped them in with the fillet at the same time.

white_elephant, May 18, 4:14am
Thanks alot cookessentials, its not a cut I've bought before (I am no cook) but that all looks easy & tasty :)

cookessentials, May 18, 4:33am
You wont regret it. I was sick of doing topside roast that always seemed dry. I got a decent piece which cost me $27 but it was well worth it. The trick is starting with romm temp meat, having a good high heat and resting the meat before slicing. Not sure how pink you like yours, but ours was a light brown on the outer edge to pink in hte middle ( not raw) and it really was very tasty. Let us know how you get on and what you think.

whitehead., May 18, 4:47am
i always brown the out side first in a fry pan then roast till pink on the inside . topside must be under done to be worth eating its a steak and needs to be treated like one brown the out side dust with hurbs and hot english mustard then roast on a high heat for about 20 minutes a pound till pink in the middle it must not be over cooked

chez23, May 18, 5:04am
For that special occ I have made a large beef wellington... ... roll pastry, spread with pate, smooth peanut butter, sliced mushrooms,
ham, grated cheese. Place beef on this and roll, brush with egg wash, slow cook untill pastry is browned and clear fluids run about 1 1/2 hrs. My family love this. Can work out a bit expensive but is well worth it.

cookessentials, May 18, 5:04am
Have not ever over cooked the topside, but it is still not overly moist - I much prefer the fillet, that's for sure!

white_elephant, May 18, 6:41am
Well cookessentials, I did what you said except I put a sprig of rosemary on top of it, pinched that idea from the 2nd recipe you suggested. When the cooked meat was 'sitting' I sliced a piece off the end to test it, it was so tender & beautiful that after 3 slices I had to stop myself as it wasn't a large piece to start with. My fussy son loved it, I've found something I can't ruin, (I'll be careful not to over cook, ) so thankyou very much.

cookessentials, May 18, 10:12am
You are very welcome. I would far rather spend more money and buy an excellent cut of meat and really enjoy it that a cheaper cut and not enjoy it at all, so it will be fillet of beef for roasts from now on for us.

cookessentials, May 22, 10:49am
ROAST BEEF FILLET WITH GARLIC AND ROSEMARY

1. 25kg-piece beef eye fillet or
2 (600g each) beef fillets, trimmed
1/2 small bunch fresh rosemary
60ml (1/4 cup) light olive oil
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp light olive oil, extra
Creamed honey mustardto serve

Preheat oven to 240°C. Tie the beef at regular intervals with unwaxed white kitchen string to secure. Reserve 3 whole sprigs of rosemary. Coarsely chop 1 tbs of the remaining rosemary. Combine the chopped rosemary, oil and garlic in a small bowl. Rub the rosemary mixture over the beef. Thread the reserved rosemary sprigs under the string on the beef. Season with salt and pepper.

Heat the extra oil in a roasting pan over high heat. Add the beef and cook, turning occasionally, for 6 minutes or until brown all over. Roast in oven, basting regularly with pan juices, for 15-20 minutes for medium-rare or until cooked to your liking.

Remove beef from baking pan and transfer to a plate. Cover with foil and set aside for 10-15 minutes to rest.

Remove string and rosemary sprigs from the beef. Carve the beef across the grain into thick slices. Place on a serving platter and serve immediately with creamed honey mustard.

CREAMED HONEY MUSTARD
1 x 125g jar wholegrain mustard
1 1/2 tbs honey
1 tbs good-quality whole-egg mayonnaise
Use a fork to whisk together the mustard, honey and mayonnaise in a small bowl until well combined and creamy.