Kale Chips

muffin2, Oct 15, 1:42am
We've just picked some kale from the garden and would like to make 'kale chips'. is it as easy as cutting the stems / stalks off, trossing them in olive oil salt n pepper and roasting for 10 mins?

we've never tried kale before, but a quick taste from one of the leaves yesterday proved it was very bitter and it was not nice - any other recipe ideas would be welcome

samanya, Oct 15, 2:27am
That's pretty much how I do them. I have only used Cavolo Nero kale though. I sometimes use just Roast vegetable seasoning with olive oil & I find sometimes I need to turn them part way through if i have a load in the oven.
I don't care for Kale cooked as a vege, but I can scoff chips readily (if I beat my small relations to them)

village.green, Oct 15, 2:47am
Just make sure after washing you dry thoroughly otherwise they will be soggy and you only need very little oil and massage in a bit with your hands. You want them crispy ideally.

rainrain1, Oct 15, 4:00am
Moo

uli, Oct 15, 8:05pm
Usually kale is quite sweet if it grows fast.
If it has not enough nutrients or it is too dry it can get bitter.
Just give it a good dose of compost or fertilizer and a few good waterings to get it growing vigorously again and discard the older leaves if they are bitter. The younger ones should be fine.

uli, Oct 15, 8:26pm
I make kale sometimes as a side dish loosely following this recipe:

2 large bunches kale (or more)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
salt and pepper
12 Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
1-2 roasted red peppers (or buy a glass ready made)
2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar

Wash and cut the kale into bite-size pieces, removing any tough stems.
Add the kale to a large pot, add a bit of water and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Most of the liquid should have evaporated before you add the other ingredients.

Add the salt, pepper, olives, and peppers.

Spoon into a serving dish and add olive oil, garlic, balsamic vinegar.
Check the seasoning and add some more vinegar or salt or pepper if needed.

Serve warm or at room temperature.

You can do the same dish with silverbeet (include the stems).

uli, Aug 29, 8:47am
Or try sauteed Kale and White Beans.
This is an old Italian recipe (again can also be made with silverbeet).

Start with chopped bacon and onions browned in a big pot. Add chopped kale, a bit of chicken broth and cook until nearly tender. Add a tin of white beans, or butter beans (the big ones), and stir together. Once the greens are tender serve with crusty bread.

For a full meal add some chorizo sausages to the mix, or place sausages on top of the greens and beans to warm and then serve with small steamed potatoes and butter.