Stuffed mushrooms etc and vegetarian ideas

edlin, Nov 20, 6:42pm
I am having a barbecue with a vegetarian attending. I am looking for all sorts of ideas for this person as I want more than just a lettuce salad for her to pick at. So far,I have asparagus with home made aioli,courgette fritters,eggplant parmiagana,waldorf salad,mixed roast veges,tomatoes with basil pesto and mozzarella,garlic bread. I thought mushrooms with some sort of cheesy breadcrumb topping might be okay but I am not a mushroom eater so need help please. Any other ideas welcome too

sampa, Nov 20, 8:17pm
It might be a good idea to ring her and have a chat about food - foods she does and doesn't like. She might even be in the habit of bringing something that she knows she can eat and will enjoy along with her to BBQ's. Sometimes with vegetarians less is more and offering a lot of what we might see as being new and exciting options can be a bit overwhelming. Also be careful re the cheese. she may or may not be strict about only consuming vegetarian cheese products.

On the other hand you could invite me and (although not a vegetarian) I would happily 'sample' my way through all the above. :)

PS - simple veggie kebabs just like their meat containing equivalent but minus the meat obviously might be a good start. Make a few extra if you do though, it's surprising how appealing a nice hot colourful veggie kebab can be to the carnivores among us.

lythande1, Nov 21, 12:27am
How about mushroom in bread cases? With a sauce and tomato or something in it too.
And vege souffle. Mash a swede, mix in a bit of sauted onion, 3 egg yolks and - if not Vegan - 1/2 cup grated cheese.
Beat egg whites till stuff and fold in with salt and pepper. Bake until golden and fluffy.
Can use kumara too.

Actually if vegan I guess don't make it all - I just thought of the eggs.

Hell, if vegan give up and settle on the lettuce.

motorbo, Nov 21, 12:44am
since when does a vegan eat cheese. and why oh why does someone that is not a vegan think they should advise what a vegan might like to eat LOL funny as

edlin, Nov 21, 1:02am
I do not think she is a vegan but will have to ask someone related to her, some more questions so I have it right on the night. Don't want to make a big deal about it. Just want her to think that was what I always turn on. Cannot do kebabs on the barbecue as she will not eat from that as meat gets cooked on it. She is going to be visiting from overseas so want her to feel welcome. Just starting to realise what carnivores my family are!

buzzy110, Nov 21, 1:15am
I take it that your omnivore guests, and family will be eating all the vegetable dishes on offer as well as the protein that will be cooked on the BBQ. Your vegetarian guest would probably appreciate a protein as well. By all means serve up all the wonderful vegetable dishes if you want to but do some sort of pulse or soy dish.

If it was me I'd probably do something like lentil patties that can be eaten in a bun or bread and cooked on the BBQ (separately from all the meat of course), felafal or something baked using a pulse. Spicy tempeh is yumble.

buzzy110, Nov 21, 1:18am
SWEET/SOUR SPICY TEMPEH

Marinate Tempeh in:
Lemmon Juice
Tomato Paste
Tamari
Oil Cayenne Pepper
Honey
Garlic

Bake @ 280dC in the marinade 20-30mins
Serve with tomato sauce (not ketchup)

buzzy110, Nov 21, 1:24am
SOUTHERN STYLE TEMPEH SAUSAGES
Serves 4. Makes 8-10 Patties

Combine in a big bowl:
8oz Tempeh - steamed 20 mins, cooled and grated
2 T Oil
2 T Tamari or 2½ T Soya Sauce
½ t Sage
¼ t each Marjoram, Thyme, Black Peper and Paprika
½ t Cayenne or to taste
2 T Flour - White or Wholemeal

Method:
1. Stir till well blended and mixture can be shaped into a roll
2. Wrap roll in gladwrap and refrigerate
3. Slice and fry in oil when needed or form into 2½" patties by pressing mix firmly together and fry
4. Drain on absorbent paper and serve hot

Note: Can be used to make burgers

buzzy110, Nov 21, 1:26am
Peanut sauce goes well with Tempeh:

PEANUT SAUCE:
2T Peanut Butter
1 T Tomato (ketchup) sauce
1 T Soya Sauce
1 Clove crushed garlic
1 Cup Water
Tabasco to taste

Mix and heat

frances1266, Nov 21, 1:57am
Not sure that I would do tempeh as many vegetarians/vegans dont seem to like it.
Tofu is more palatable in my opinion. Either marinated or fried in a little oil until golden and crispy on top and serve with satay sauce or any other nice sauce.
Cut tofu into cubes and fry on all sides and make into kebabs.
Felafel mix from supermarket, flatten into patties and fry then use as a burger.
Nice and easy.
I will bump up the vegetarian thread for you, heaps of ideas there.

sampa, Nov 21, 6:20am
Perhaps that person spends a great deal of time and research cooking for a vegan or a vegetarian even if they don't choose that particular path for themselves.

motorbo, Nov 21, 6:50am
i doubt it they just like to wind folks up

tempeh ive heard is better for you and your digestion, I for one wouldn't eat tofu - A I don't like the taste/texture and B ive heard so many bad things about it I don't even drink soy milk anymore

sampa, Nov 21, 7:16am
Ahh. okay, got it now, thought maybe you were meaning me and wanted to make a point about how much research and thought and effort goes into cooking for a non meat eating person when you undertake that particular journey.

frances1266, Nov 21, 7:31am
Motorbo - I have heard that soy is a problem but there is a lot of research out now that actually shows the opposite. There are research studies out that show soy is a cancer preventative. I think the PCRM site has some studies. Soy is so delicious and especially tofu it is a shame that it has an undeserved reputation.
Bryanna Clark Grogan's site also has information on soy. My understanding is that soy contains estrogen but it is a weak form that attaches itself to cells which means that the stronger estrogen cancer causing cells have nowhere to go and end up being removed from the body.

nzwhisky, Nov 30, 10:06am
There are quite a lot of different options such as veg patties, sausages etc at supermarket. Or a tub of falfael mix and make your own. Hubby is a veg, so have tried various different things. New world has quite a good range. Also agree that people will want to try the veg stuff, so make lots. The few times people cater for him, that stuff is the first to be scoffed by everyone else.

lilyfield, Nov 30, 7:25pm
I am a vegetarien and always bring my own, eating some ready mix concoction from a supermarket is out of the question.

ruby2shoes, Nov 30, 10:58pm
Alison and Simon Holst have some great vegetarian recipes. Carrot and mushroom loaf is easy. Providing, of course, she likes mushrooms, lol

uli, Dec 1, 3:10am
bump for vegetarian xmas guests

bev00, May 18, 3:04am
and again.