Best pikelet recipe

roys351, Nov 13, 6:34am
the one I have just doesn't make them fluffy

nauru, Nov 13, 7:18am
I have an american pancake recipe that I use. It makes lovely pikelets, although I know them as scotch pancakes. I will post it if you want.

mooshiesmum, Nov 13, 7:19am
I use Edmonds basic one!

http://justamumnz.com/2014/02/22/weekend-brunch-pikelets-recipe/

Not sure if that makes them fluffy enough for you? They are not as fluffy and light as the ones from supermarket!

elsielaurie1, Nov 13, 8:05am
Whichever recipe you choose - don't stir once the mixture has been mixed. Drop one spoonful of the mix at a time onto a hot surface, preferably off the tip of a dessert spoon. Don't be tempted to mix again in between spoonfuls. Leave till bubbles start appearing, then flip onto uncooked side. Serve with whipped cream and raspberry jam. yummy!

korbo, Nov 13, 6:19pm
My mum-in-law makes lovely fluffy piklets.
she uses self raising flour, and adds 1 tespn BP, and when all is mixed, folds in 2 teaspn vinegar. brown or white. 'try that an see how they turn out.

petal1955, Nov 13, 7:40pm
Paraparaumu Pikelets

1 cup flour
1 tbsp sugar
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cream of tartar
½ tsp baking soda
1 egg
Milk to mix to stiff paste
1 tsp melted butter
Put all dry ingredients in a bowl. Break in egg and mix in milk. Add last of all the melted butter. Mix well and let stand for ½ hour. Drop in spoonful lots on hot griddle.

Pikelets – Excellent

4 heaped tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 egg
1 tablespoon butter
2 heaped tablespoons sugar
Pinch salt
Milk to mix
Sift dry ingredients, add well beaten egg, and enough milk to make a nice batter. Add melted butter last. Leave if possible for an hour or so. Cook in a lightly greased frypan.

Pikelets

This wonderful recipe has been around since the 60's (or earlier) when my Mum used to make these. I remember her using the solid element on the stove top and using greaseproof paper and butter to grease the hotplate(can almost smell them now! )

Ingredients:

2 eggs
3 tbsp castor sugar
1 & 1/2 cups plain flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp of soda
1/2 teacup of milk (I use more as the mixture is quite thick)
salt
1 tbsp melted butter
Method:
Sift flour and cream of tartar. Beat eggs and sugar well, then work in flour, adding milk in which baking soda has been dissolved. Lastly, add melted butter. Mix till smooth. TIP: pour mixture off the end of your spoon to get nice round pikelets.

niffer13, Nov 13, 7:55pm
I have been using Pikelet mix from bin inn. Just mix with water. Very spongy & light. I wouldn't bother to start from scratch as I can make as many as I want - if I haven't made enough just more powder & water into a jug & whisk.

gennie, Nov 13, 8:09pm
I do a variation of the Edmonds (I think that was my starting point many years ago)

1 Cup flour
1.5 tea spoons of baking powder
1 egg
1 good pinch of salt
1/4 Cup sugar
milk

Then I mix in with a rotary beater enough milk to make a thick mixture. (The hard bit is describing the thickness - probably about half whipped cream thickness - it should be able to be poured of the spoon easily but still have thickness to it).

I think the secrets are getting the temperature right on the pan so they don't go too brown, putting in more than 1 t of bp to each cup of flour and the mixture not being too runny. Cook one side until the bubbles for on the other and when you flip them over the pikelet should rise up noticeably to double in thickness. If they don't, add a little bit more flour to thicken the mixture slightly

flower-child01, Nov 13, 8:43pm
Sharing the love - these are excellent :)

Pikelets

1 c flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t cream of tarter
1 egg
2 tbsp sugar
3/4 c milk approx
1 tbsp butter melted

Mix sifted dry ingredients and sugar together, add egg and half the milk. Mix, add more milk till a thick consistency, and lastly add the butter.
Heat a pan and use a little butter on a paper towel to grease
Drop spoonfuls of mixture into the pan. When the tops start to bubble, flip over and cook for a few minutes on the other side.
Keep warm under a tea towel.

rainrain1, Nov 13, 8:51pm
It's darn cold and I've got to go out, but I want to stay home and make pikelets, boo hoo

uli, Nov 13, 10:17pm
any "best" recipe thread cannot die - bump!

clareo, Nov 13, 11:13pm
Another vote for this one. My Mum used to make awesome pikelets using this recipe - she always said you should never add baking powder - always use baking soda and cream of tartar.

popeye333, Nov 13, 11:35pm
This is the best bit of advice. Never remix, it knocks the air out of the batter

jaybee6, Nov 14, 7:57am
If you leave lumps in the mixture you will get lovely fluffy piklets. Don't over mix the mixture is the answer.

flower-child01, Nov 14, 9:53am
I agree 100%. I also use baking soda and cream of tartar,for my scones along with high grade flour, they also turn out great every time.

wheelz, Jun 22, 10:55am
Try using buttermilk in stead of milk. yummm