TUESDAY 28 JULY 2015 FOOD DIARY

Page 1 / 2
wasala, Jul 28, 10:08am
Given the wide variety of beliefs about nutrition here I thought it might be fun to know just exactly what each other is eating (and drinking) in one day!

If you want to contribute actual recipes on top of your basic list, then go right ahead.

Starting midnight - officially!

amiri1, Jul 28, 12:23pm
I'm nosey and wouldn't mind seeing how I compare with others. Didn't feel hungry most of the day so I just ate what I felt like!
Started with a coffee (2 1/2 heaped tsps moconna rich (no one else is allowed to touch because it's my expensive little treat), milk and a dash of cream) this morning and had another one early afternoon. Half a dozen plain roasted cashews for late afternoon snack.
Then a chicken breast (garlic powder, chilli seasoning, cayenne pepper, onion salt, powdered parmesaen and ground almonds) with buttercrunch lettuce and lemon juice for dinner about 9.30ish. And 1 piece of whittakers dark ghana just before I brushed my teeth!
Possibly about a litre of water sipped throughout the day as well. Not great but could've been worse! :)

buzzy110, Jul 29, 1:32am
How boring. Reading what others ate today. Why don't you start the ball rolling? Tell all those interested people what you ate today. Should be riveting.

eljayv, Jul 29, 4:32am
Quite.

vmax2, Jul 29, 4:49am
Leftover soup for breakfast. Lunch was bacon, 2 eggs, sauerkraut, onions, mushrooms, brussel sprouts and tomato fried in a pan. Fruit with kids for afternoon tea but often don't have anything. Dinner is mutton chops with a heaping plate of veges, undecided which or how I'll do them yet. Might finish dinner off with a small bowl of blueberries with some coconut cream added.

wasala, Jul 29, 5:02am
Oh Buzzy, Buzzy, Buzzy, you just can't help yourself, can you?

davidt4, Jul 29, 5:09am
Breakfast was poached eggs on left over Indian spiced cabbage with potato, onion, garlic, turmeric, ginger and coconut. Coffee with cream.

Lunch was plain full fat yoghurt with cream, banana, apple, blackberries and dried fig.

Dinner will be Rogan Josh (a lamb curry), spiced pumpkin and cabbage with coconut milk, curry leaves and pandanus, plain boiled rice.

wasala, Jul 29, 5:17am
Well, I started the thread so I'd better contribute but please don't let us keep you if you've got more riveting things to do, Buzzy!

So far today I've had two bowls of Delmaine pumpkin soup with gorgeous thick coconut cream stirred through it and fresh coriander. I've just eaten 2 slices of gravlax from Farro, (but I must start making my own, it's easy enough), followed by some yummy very soft, smelly French cheese. Dinner is set to be cauliflower and blue cheese soup and I'll add extra cream to that too. Pudding will be PURE brand salted caramel ice-cream - my worst vice!
There. Is that boring enough?

wasala, Jul 29, 5:23am
My son would love that dinner. He is crazy about Rogan Josh. My lot are getting Nachos. I use lean mince, finely chopped leek, a tin of tomatoes, one of red kidney beans and a good dollop of chilli sauce to add flavour then simmer it away in the electric frying pan for a while. They have it over corn chips with mashed avocado (with lime juice and another small amount of sweet chilli sauce), sour cream, grated cheese and chopped fresh coriander. Is this healthy? I have no idea but it always goes down well!

vmax2, Jul 29, 5:26am
It's nice to get inspiration from what other people are eating wasala. It helps us to stretch our ideas.

I also had a cup of yummy home made chicken stock for afternoon tea, straight from the crockpot.

wasala, Jul 29, 5:43am
That's exactly what I thought. Rather than boasting and saying that our own diet is the best, it's more interesting to simply share. I eat low carb, high fat because I have to and I'm certainly very fit and well but I would never claim that my diet is right for everyone because it probably isn't!
And I forgot to mention the sneaky can of Coke Zero I had this afternoon but again, the occasional vice isn't going to matter much in the long run. It has to be better than brazenly smoking dope at a bus stop in central Auckland today which is what a well-dressed young man next to me was doing!. I couldn't believe it, and everybody in the queue was sniffing and commenting!

cgvl, Jul 29, 6:25am
well mine is totally boring: Rice bubbles, full fat milk, 100mls orange juice and yoghurt for breakfast, lunch was a couple of roast beef and pickle sandwiches and 2 small home made plain biscuits. Dinner was left over roast beef thinly sliced with potato salad and a mixed green salad (mesculen, carrot, cheese and apple) followed by a small bar of chocolate (my treat for the week). and a small finger sized banana. To drink have had water only for most of the day and 1 glass of lime juice. We are going out tonight to a meeting so will have a cup of herbal tea.

wasala, Jul 29, 7:12am
Nothing wrong with that!

wasala, Jul 29, 8:05am
You are so lucky down there. The cost of meat and veges at your local New World is incredibly low - and you can buy my all-time favourite veg, swede, by the side of the road for next to nothing! Please do that then mash and mix it with loads of butter in my honour!

lythande1, Jul 29, 6:48pm
Egg and toast for breakfast. Leftover bacon and everything pie for lunch (Leeks, cheese, tomato, bacon and minimal egg).
Dinner was steak and kidney stew, parsnip mash and mini silverbeet. Veges from the garden, bread made by me.
Made some lemon muffins last night too, not eaten yet. husband will eat them. lemons off the tree.

vmax2, Jul 29, 10:18pm
I wouldn't know as I've never lived further north than Dunedin. But I try to grow our veges (big salad from our garden last night) and we have our own homekill meat. I like to do things like buying chicken frames or dog bones for just a few dollars when we don't have our own bones. That certainly saves a lot of money.

Swede. Yes very cheap and quite large down here. Actually been making swede chips. Have one child who doesn't like swede. I cut them into strips, sprinkle pepper and salt and sometimes nutmeg onto them, dripping, coconut oil or butter and into oven. He goes back for seconds with them like that.

wasala, Jul 29, 11:02pm
Grrr, I forgot I had my business account open! The swede chips sound great. I must try them!

mvo, Jul 29, 11:14pm
Would you mind posting the recipe for the spiced pumpkin and cabbage. I never know what to serve with Indian curries, so usually it is just Basmati rice!

davidt4, Jul 29, 11:29pm
This isn't exact because I made it up as I went along, but it was really delicious.

2 tab coconut oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
6cm piece of ginger, peeled and julienned or grated
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
2 tsp coriander seeds
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 stick cinnamon
1 heaped tsp turmeric powder
10 curry leaves
6 pandanus leaves (tied in a knot)
1 tsp chilli flakes
500 - 600 ml coconut milk
1 tsp salt
500g pumpkin, skin on, in 2 cm chunks
1/4 large cabbage finely sliced

Heat the oil in a large pan, fry onion, ginger and garlic over medium heat about 10 minutes until soft and starting to brown. Add spices and curry leaves and stir a few minutes until the spices are fragrant. Add pandanus, chilli, coconut milk, salt and pumpkin, combine well, cover and simmer about 20 minutes until the pumpkin is tender. Add cabbage and cover, cook about 10 minutes until the cabbage is tender. Check salt, serve hot.

mvo, Jul 30, 1:52am
Thank you very much davidt4 - that looks just great :)

uli, Jul 30, 5:46am
davidt4 - I always wanted to ask you about those curry leaves. My 2 trees are now big enough to pinch leaves - is a "leaf" the whole (not sure what you would call it in English - raceme maybe?) or is it just one "leaf" of that raceme which could have 20 or 30 on it?

Thanks!

davidt4, Jul 30, 9:18am
A leaf is one leaf, not a raceme. Our curry tree is hitting its stride now and some of the racemes have twenty leaves!

wendalls, Jul 30, 1:03pm
And is your rogan josh recipe easy to post Davidt4? I have some diced lamb to do something with.
I haven't heard of pandanus either. Could I leave that out of the cabbage and pumpkin dish?

davidt4, Jul 30, 8:12pm
I am away from my computer all day so will post the Rogan Joshnrecipe for you tomorrow.

Leave the pandanus out if you have to, there is no substitute.

davidt4, Jul 31, 5:04am
Here you are:

Rogan Josh

8 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
6cm piece of ginger, grated
2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp chilli flakes (or more)
2 tsp paprika (not smoked paprika)
2 tsp coriander powder
1 kg lamb leg meat in 3cm pieces (or mutton or goat)

Mix well together and leave 2 hrs - overnight

5 tab butter or ghee
1 onion finely chopped
6 green cardamom pods
6 cloves
2 bay leaves
8cm cinnamon stick
6 curry leaves
200 ml plain yoghurt
1/2 tsp saffron strands
2 tab milk
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp salt

In large lidded pan heat oil over moderate heat. Add cardamom, cloves, bay leaves, curry leaves & cinnamon, fry 1 min. Increase heat and add meat and onion. Fry 5 min, stirring often. Reduce heat to low, cover & cook 15 min.

Uncover & cook 5 - 10 min until meat is dry. Add 100 ml water & cook until dry and oil starting to separate out. Fry 5 min, add 250 ml water, cover, cook gently 60 - 90 min until almost tender. Check liquid occasionally. Should end up with very little liquid. Add salt.

Meanwhile heat milk and add saffron; leave to infuse at least 30 min.

Add yoghurt to meat & stir over heat until very hot. Add milk & saffron, stir in gently. Add garam masala, mix carefully. Take off heat and stand 10 - 30 min.

Serve with a plainish green vege dish (e.g. broccoli & potatoes with tumeric, ginger & tomato), and rice or chapattis.