Cooking Utensils that should NOT go in dishwasher?

Page 2 / 2
socram, Oct 22, 7:01am
Our knives stay sharp and rarely need re-sharpening so this really intrigues me.

For butchers or chefs, I understand them mollycoddling the tools of their trade, in the same way a painter or artist looks after their brushes, a mechanic places the spanners in trays or on shadow boards. But the average home users?

cookessentials, Oct 22, 7:05am
Yes, ask any good knife manufacturer.

cookessentials, Oct 22, 7:09am
Well, if you think you know better, go for it!

sarahb5, Oct 22, 7:11am
Would be very poor quality metal to be damaged by boiling water - I can understand the pressure issue would loosen rivets and other non-solid knives' construction though but really doubt the edge would be blunted by boiling water - I am more inclined to go with socram's theory really. Its a bit like hand washing your lingerie rather than putting it in the machine really to my way of thinking.

sarahb5, Oct 22, 7:13am
Perhaps we're too average to appreciate the difference!

sarahb5, Oct 22, 7:21am
Interestingly google provides another take on this - its actually the detergent that can corrode the blade and any softer metal such as aluminium used in the construction, thus causing bluntness as well as the possibility of damage to the non-steel parts. Sebatier for example coat the metal inner handle with aluminium before encasing it in the handle proper.

Also there is the risk of knives being bashed against other items in the dishwasher and the knives damaging the plastic coating of the wire shelves in the dishwasher.

imn, Oct 22, 8:14am
I've always put my knives in the dishwasher. Sharp ones, ones with wooden handles.They're still fine.I just sharpen the chopping ones before I use them.

alaine4, Oct 22, 9:23am
I wonder how can you prove an old wives tale?

Cooks knives should be purchased with synthetic handles. (Such as Victorinox) This is basic kitchen hygiene. Knives that have been used for cold food preparation and/or raw chicken need to be able to go through the dishwashers next wash cycle so they are cleaned and sterilised. (even lettuce and carrots can be dangerous) If you go into a commercial bakehouse or kitchen you will notice that everything goes through the dishwasher.

tomleitch, Oct 22, 10:03am
bakers hold no value on knives, in the bakeries i have worked the blade might as well have been serrated they were so chipped and abused, chefs now thats a different story you would likely get it thrown at you if you were caught putting the chefs knives in the dishwasher.

socram, Oct 22, 8:48pm
+1 LOL
I understand aluminium and soft metals possibly being affected by the detergents, but have you ever tried to drill through even a thin piece of stainless steel? Or are we now using cheap Chinese steel which appears to be of a much poorer quality - especially in tools - than what we used to get?

My old British Marples wood chisels rarely need sharpening, but the newer Chinese ones are dreadful and virtually need sharpening every time they are used. Ditto the old Record smoothing planes keep their edge for ages.

beaker59, Oct 22, 9:21pm
I have to agree there is no reason why a good knife can't be washed in the dishwasher apart from the safety angle I lay my large knives on the top rack but you have to be careful when getting them out, It has affected the handles though the black synthetic handles looks a bit mottled in colour after several years of that but I can't see any issue with sharpness. I don't worry about colour its a utilitarian item after all.

nzdoug, Oct 22, 9:39pm
If I can't find anything, its in the dish washer.
When you have one bread knife, one carving knife etc why put them in the dish washer if its only used for washing once a day?
Its such a pain to load and unload.
With 2 people I think using it is an inconvenience.
I can cook and eat on the bbq with a knife only.
No doily required.
Theres a lot to be said for efficiency /\.

rainrain1, Oct 23, 3:23am
Now how do you know who's kitchen is average, and who's isn't?

socram, Oct 23, 4:11am
Fuss pots, keen amateurs and professionals at one end, balanced against those who haven't a clue and never cook, would probably put the rest of us in the middle somewhere!

sarahb5, Oct 23, 5:02am
My guess is anyone who puts their "good" knives in the dishwasher is average - below average would be those who don't have good knives and above average would be those who lovingly handwash every kitchen item in lukewarm water and Lux flakes then dry them diligently using a clean, ironed teatowel every time.

rainrain1, Oct 23, 6:05am
Where does that leave you chook?

sarahb5, Oct 23, 6:20am
Absolutely, positively, proudly average in the kitchen - I cook so we can eat, have no pretensions whatsoever about my cooking ability - I'm not cooking to impress anyone, if everyone here eats what I cook that's all that matters.

rainrain1, Oct 23, 9:06am
You see, what you read on here is not always the way it seems, I would have thought you were just the absolute very tops at everything you do, but there you go, I'm wrong

sarahb5, Oct 23, 9:40am
And cynical - my cooking skills are fine, I just don't think they're anything special and I'm certainly not precious about what goes into or comes out of the kitchen so just proves you can't believe everything you read

rainrain1, Oct 23, 5:41pm
lovely

gaspodetwd, Oct 23, 6:13pm
I didn't put my good knives or wooden handled utensils in. Nor the tin opener or wooden spoons. My cast iron pans didn't go through, nor bone china nor the nonstick frying pan. I don't like glasses going through the dishwasher as they feel strange afterwards and I prfer to scrub chopping boards as I don't think dishwashers to a very good job of them. BBQ utensils never went though. Nor my crystal glasses.

That is why we no longer have a dishwasher - when it died we just didn't think it was worth replacing!

rainrain1, Oct 23, 9:01pm
Someone made us a beautiful knife, with a deer antler handle, I wouldn't put it near hot water for any length of time. It would ruin the handle, which is why I don't put good knives in, then of course they last longer, it makes good sense to me. Average cook here too, and have never pretended to be anything but.

kay141, Aug 16, 10:03am
Interesting thread and confirms why a dishwasher is not on my priority list. I've never had one and nothing I've read has changed my mind. This kitchen is too small for one anyway, I would rather have more storage. Maybe the next house will have one installed, I'll use it and really endorse them. Until then, I'll continue the old-fashioned way.