Page 1 / 2
janny3, Aug 13, 12:50pm
Scones - Makes 12
* 4 cups (500g) of Self Raising flour
* 300ml Cream
* 250ml Lemonade/sprite

purely optional: dates, raisins, pumpkin or cheese for savoury scones

(Light cream and diet lemonade works.)

Heat the oven to 220C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Sift flour into a bowl, make a well in the centre, and pour in the cream and lemonade. Mix to make a dough, careful not to over beat. Roll the dough out and cut with a cold knife or scone cutter. Arrange closely together on the baking tray and bake until golden brown, about 12 minutes.

Optional: swap the lemonade for soda water, mineral water, ginger ale, even creaming soda for a different taste. Try ginger ale and dates.

Do not overwork the dough, it will make the scones rock hard, if need be you can brush the tops with a bit of milk for a nice golden finish but you really don't need to, they are perfect just the way they are.

Tip: Swap the lemonade for Soda Water and add a little tasty cheese & finely diced chives. Finish on the top with a little parmesan.

Serving suggestion: With a little butter or jam and cream. You can also go for clotted cream and golden syrup.

How much pumpkin to ratio of scone dough please?

petal1955, Aug 13, 8:23pm
I do a pumpkin and date scone and for 3 cups of SR flour I use a 1 & 1/2 cups of mashed pumpkin. also use buttermilk which make a nice light soft scone.

cookessentials, Aug 13, 9:27pm
Golden Pumpkin Scones
60 g butter
55g caster sugar
1 egg
2 tbsp golden syrup
1 cup cooked, mashed pumpkin
400g self raising flour
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
80ml milk approx.

Beat butter and sugar in a small bowl with electric beater until combined. Gradually beat in egg and golden syrup, transfer to a large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and half the sifted dry ingredients, then remaining dry ingredients with enough milk to mix to a soft, sticky dough. Turn dough onto floured surface and knead until smooth. Press dough out to 2cm thickness, cut into 5.5cm rounds. Place onto lightly greased baking sheet or into a 23cm round sponge sandwich cake tin and bake in a very hot oven for about 20 minutes. ( very hot is about 230-250C)

cookessentials (1216 1216 positive feedback) 2:28 pm, Mon 15 Jul #3

buzzy110, Aug 14, 2:25am
You clever, clever people. I'd just like to be able to make scones that don't have the characteristics of rocks. It doesn't help that I despise the taste of self-raising flour.

cgvl, Aug 14, 2:34am
buzzy mine were rocks until I started using the food processor.
I use 2 cups plain flour and 2 heaped tsps baking powder. ¼ cup milk powder, butter (don't measure it so about 2Tbsp). Add pinch salt and 2tsps sugar for fruit scones or leave out butter and sugar and add grated cheese.
Whizz in food prcessor all dry ingredients along with the butter and I put dates in at this point.
Slowly add enough water to bring mix to a dough. Tip onto floured surface and bring together, knead very very lightly. Use a rolling pin to roll out fairly thick and then cut into shapes. I use a glass and get up to 12 scones out of the mix.
Into a very hot oven 220C and put them up on either the top rung or the one below. They need 7 to 10 mins max.

rainrain1, Aug 14, 2:45am
Mother-in-law always only ever used crème of tarter and baking soda in her scones, they were always soft and not rocks like mine are after half a day

buzzy110, Aug 14, 2:55am
Thanks cgvl. I'll save your advice in my recipe folder for future reference. On thinking about it I can see how a food processor would be magic.

buzzy110, Aug 14, 2:57am
Yours last ½ a day. Cool. Mine turn to rocks in the oven. My DH warned me that he'd be very upset if I left them out for the birds. He reckoned that birds have the right to fly around 'unmolested' by my scones.

angelwoman, Aug 14, 3:17am
To refreshen scones I sprinkle them all over with water and reheat in the oven they are just like freshly baked.

arielbooks, Aug 14, 3:55am
I always add a pinch of cayenne pepper to my cheese scones, it brings out the cheeseyness. A trick that Michel Roux taught a chef friend of mine. It is amazing how much better the taste is.

lodgelocum, Aug 14, 4:05am
Cheese scones are my favourite then next would be date and lemon, then sultana.

rainrain1, Aug 14, 4:12am
I get teased about mine too, but they still eat them.

rainrain1, Aug 14, 4:15am
That little trick is very old, my Mother always did that and she's been long gone

nisty, Aug 14, 4:46am
Soo jealous. Scones & pancakes are the bain of my existence. Mine always come out hard on the outside gooey on the inside. After reading this thread I'm now craving scones, dammit!

pony_girl, Aug 14, 4:53am
Cheese, bacon and Pesto are my favourite scones . or maybe just my Mum's plain cheese ones - I can't be sure. If I am making date scones, I simmer my dates in orange juice with some chopped dried apricots, it gives the dates a much nicer flavour (in my opinion of course).

arielbooks, Aug 14, 5:57am
Sometimes I do roast veggies with thyme, sun dried tomatoes, fried onions, bacon if I have it, and cubed brie. Very tasty.

baalamb, Aug 14, 6:09am
Sadly, Im like you! I have tried using Alison Holsts baking mix, which I was assured made 'foolproof scones' - they may be foolproof, but they certainly arent baalamb-proof! Have done the cream/lemonade ones, no luck at all! Have given up trying.

wildflower, Aug 14, 6:52am
I've seen and made once date and tasty cheese together. Were quite good if I recall.

arielbooks, Aug 14, 11:47pm
You might be over handling. I freeze my butter, then grate it, stir in with wet ingredients, tip onto floured baking tray and flatten out with fingers, cut with a knife, separate slightly and bake.

As you can see I hardly touch the mixture so the gluten strands don't stretch and over toughen.

kay141, Aug 15, 12:22am
I haven't made any for a while but I did much the same. Never separated them though, copied that from my mother. Middle ones were delicious, soft sides and crisp tops. Also have never used self-raising flour for anything. I've never bought it. Maybe because when I was learning to cook, it wasn't around so it was plain flour and rising agents.

cookessentials, Aug 15, 1:57am
Make the buttermilk ones in the scones thread. You wont look back!

cookessentials, Aug 15, 2:01am
Buttermilk Scones.
Ingredients:
2 cups self raising flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp caster sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
60g butter
2/3 - 3/4 cup buttermilk
Method:
Sift all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, rub in butter until mix resembles breadcrumbs. Add enough buttermilk to make a fairly soft dough. Turn onto a floured board and knead lightly. Pat or roll dough to about 1cm thickness. Cut into rounds with a 5cm (2 inch) cutter. Place on un-greased baking trays and bake in a preheated very hot oven (230C/450F) for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden. These are lovely ones to do with jam and whipped cream for afternoon tea.

Edited by cookessentials at 1:52 pm, Mon 15 Jul

cookessentials (1216 1216 positive feedback) 1:52 pm, Mon 15 Jul #2

joplin2, Aug 16, 2:19am
I put my TEETH into scones !

baalamb, Aug 16, 9:29pm
Thanks for that, I will give one more attempt at some stage. If they dont work out this time I'll accept Im just not "scone-friendly".

baalamb, Aug 16, 9:37pm
My worst ever scones went down in my (now ex) in-laws family history as the day of the exploding scones! Made a batch under my sister-in-laws watchful eye, when I went to get them out of the oven the cloth was damp, so I practically threw the tray onto the top of the oven. nek minute . BANG! , and a couple of scones flew across the kitchen. Turned out they had one of the-then new- self turning off kettles. The hot tray had burned through the cord, blowing the fuse on the kettle, taking a piece out of the tray and launching my, still hard lumpy, scones across the room. Brother-in-law likewise refused to let them be inflicted on the local birds.