What do you put in your scones?

Page 2 / 2
ironthrone990, Aug 16, 11:57pm
Just made these with dates I soaked in instant coffee overnite. truly delicious as I sit here munching on one and drinking the leftover lemonade. excuse me, now I'm off for another. Thanks

buzzy110, Aug 17, 4:02am
RFLMAO. That is so funny. Not sure your in-laws remember the incident fondly though.

My mother tried hard to teach me how to make the lightest, fluffiest scones. I know every trick, including the 'barely handle the dough' one, but they still never worked for me. One day I'm going to try cvgl's suggestion, if I am having guests. But I'll make a Tropezienne as a back up. I'm better at Tropezienne than I am scones.

daarhn, Aug 17, 8:54pm
I use a food prossessor to make to fluffiest scones. 5mins including prep and theyre ready to go into oven.

Adding a tin of baked beans and extra cheese makes and taste fab orange red saucy cheesey goodness piping hot with lashings of real butter.

Different mashed veggies work a treat. Try butternut pumpkin for sweet, orange kumera, mashy peas, potatoes, roasted parsnips.

Adjust ingredients and experiment.

issymae, Aug 17, 10:00pm
lavender scones; brought lavender back from Tasmania, their recipe sheet - 3 1/2 cps SR Flour, 200mls lemonade, 300 mls cream 2 tsp lavender; used can of reduced cream ,nice topped with Raspberry jam

kristafin, Sep 11, 2:08am
just started making these but want to start getting some more variety.

cookessentials, Sep 11, 2:13am
We have a brilliant scone thread. I usually make the buttermilk ones which are lovely with jam and cream. I also love the pumpkin ones but do a variety depending on the mood

lx4000, Sep 11, 3:31am
dates, cheese and onion, tomato, or herbs (rosemary or thyme) and cheese.

oopie, Sep 11, 3:53am
I do love a good cheese scone.

wheelz, Sep 11, 5:42am
Spread with Apricot jam and passionfruit pulp, rolled up pinwheel style.
Chutney, cheese, fine diced onion, capsicum and chopped ham. pinwheel style.
Coffee and chocolate chunks, date and orange,
Lemon curd and raspberry. pinwheel style.
The list is only as limited as your imagination.

rainrain1, Sep 11, 5:43am
I'm with the dates and lemon rind, so delish

nauru, Sep 11, 6:56am
These are some of the ones that we like:
Apple & lemon rind
Fig and orange rind
Date & crystalised ginger
Date and walnut
Apricot and almond
Spinach and fetta
Cheese and spring onion
Curry & pumpkin
Mixed grated veges with a little cheese
Sundried tomato and basil

cookessentials, Sep 11, 7:15am
I do that but use orange juice instead and ciiamon and sugar on top.

jenniferanne, Sep 12, 8:28am
Years ago I worked in a resthome in Karori and the cook there a Samoan lady made themost delicious, huge, light banana scones. would love to know how she did it

huia991, Sep 12, 8:50am
Cheese and Ground deli's Pounamu Dukkah yummmmm

katalin2, Sep 12, 11:42am
Date and orange scones are a wonderful çombiation. A cafe at Little River , on the way to Akaroa, used to make them, they were to die for, have been trying to make one as good ever since without success. I also soften them in freshly squeezed orange juice, add finely grated orange zest to thè scone mixture. If I hadn't tasted the cafe ones I would think mine were quite ok.

motorbo, Sep 12, 1:57pm
gosh i used to love scones as a kid, always liked butter on them hot out of the oven with jam on top, fave is date scones, im not really a cheese scone lover, u tend to enjoy a savory muffin more

hugie was on tv today cooking and he made a scone really tin and i was thinking what are you doing. he then placed a tiny bit of jam on one side and flolded and closed up like a dumpling. and then baked them. not sure how they would work as i felt like he handled the dough too much

spongeypud, Sep 12, 9:33pm
Cheese and thyme with paprika yummmm.

village.green, Sep 14, 10:52am
Hubby made a batch today with dates, raisins and chopped almonds and they were very nice.
I like a good cheese scone.
But - my absolute fav is date.

mabelle2, Sep 14, 11:02am
the best scone i ever had was at a cafe that used to soak the dates overnight in the leftover coffee.

weha, Sep 14, 2:49pm
Hmmm. will try this variation. I usually do the date, orange, cinamon thing like cookessentials . what would work in this one.

teddy147, Sep 15, 10:24am
the favourite's in our house are, cheese,bacon,onion and tomatoe scones and date and orange.

onclemick, Jul 30, 6:04pm
bump great ideas on here