Secret to making a Pavlova with a chewy centre

mitzi502, Jul 13, 1:01am
.and crispy outer please. Thank you.

aasha, Jul 13, 1:59am
Personally I think it depends on the oven, it was the only sort I could make until I replaced the oven. no more chewy centre, instead I make the same recipe and end up with crispy shell and soft marshmallow type centre :-(

mitzi502, Jul 13, 2:14am
aasha, I think you've solved it. Oh for the good old stove I had years ago.Thank You.

kiwilion, Jul 13, 2:25am
I used to make the chewy one in our old gas oven many, many years ago! Now I make a superb and delicious crispy one with a soft marshmallow centre.
mmm now I want one! lol

arie25, Jul 13, 7:48am
I've experimented a little and I think if you turn it to 160c to begin with - for the first 30 minutes and then reduce it to 140c, you're more likely to get something chewy. However, I can't promise anything sorry. I've had mixed results.

lodgelocum, Jul 13, 8:07am
I only like marshmallow centre and crispy outside, yum yum.

fifie, Jul 13, 8:36am
Make 2 different kinds, soft marshmallow and a crispy one, both are different recipes crispy outer one with a slightly chewy centre is everything whipped up together other one is beat egg whites add sugar etc.

lodgelocum, Jul 13, 8:42am
x1
My marshmallow centre and crispy outside recipe is all ingredients added together and beaten for 15 minutes, can't really be bothered adding sugar etc etc.

janeyp, Nov 26, 7:04am
I'm looking for a recipe so it is similar to the ones u buy in the supermarket

harrislucinda, Nov 26, 7:34am
have you tried the crock pot pav / only way I will make 1 now Just clicked twice

fifie, Nov 26, 9:27am
Have got 2 recipes i use, One you mix everything together at once this turns out a crispy shell with chewy middle, the other one is marshmallow centre very soft like the supermarket ones both totally different
Can post recipes if you want them.

uli, Nov 26, 9:26pm
bump for Xmas

sherylt, Nov 26, 11:17pm
I would love the recipe for the chewy centred one please Fifie.

rocky92, Nov 27, 2:24am
MIL will only use older eggs, not fresh ones :-)

fifie, Nov 27, 4:51am
Crispy Chewy Pav. Old recipe so its a sugar hit lol.
Pre heat oven to 130c.
2 small cups sugar
2 egg whites at room temperature.
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 tablespoons boiling water
2 teaspoons vinegar
1 teaspoon cornflour.
Put egg whites vinegar sugar in a bowl, sit in sink with some hot water till sugar is melted. Add BOILING water and beat with electric mixer till stiff and glossy fold in B/powder, cornflour. Place on greaseproof paper on a tray Bake 130c 1 hour turn oven off leave to cool overnight door shut. Freezes well.

kernal1, Nov 27, 5:25am
I believe the secret is in the beating! Your mixture must be beaten until all sugar is dissolved! In short, taste/feel and nothing gritty! Pile high on the oven tray, cook for 5 approx. minutes, round 160 deg then turn oven down to round 100 and leave at least an hour. I have an old Kenwood, always gave it credit and now my son also has one he is making Pav's for family and friends with same great results!
Admit itching to try Annabel Langbeins with soft brown sugar replacing some of the caster sugar! Anyone tried?

sherylt, May 31, 3:19am
Thanks Fifie, I've saved your recipe to try.