Plum jam in slow cooker

gerry64, Feb 1, 1:25am
Any tips ? Tried the microwave but ended up with nothing in the bowl and a microwave full -what a mess -too hot over here to do it on the stove top

harrislucinda, Feb 1, 2:24am
jam needs a quick boil cant see how a slow cooker can do that even though jam in cooker has been asked before good luck

gerry64, Feb 1, 4:22am
Mine has a fast and slow cycle -also has a pressure cooker option but after my effort with the microwave will give that a miss

nauru, Feb 1, 6:41am
Gerry, have you got a breadmaker with jam option. I make my jam that way now, making smaller amounts which serves our needs, no watching required and makes great jam too. Just a thought.

chphilp, Feb 1, 7:06am
Why don't you just do it in a pot on the stovetop? Doesn't take long

fifie, Feb 1, 7:47am
From a s/cooker group i belong to, havent tried it.
Slow Cooker Plum Jam.
2.5kg blood plums
2kg sugar
Zest and juice of one lemon
1/2 cup water
1x 50g pack Jamsetta.

Cut plums into quarters and remove stones.
Add plums, sugar, lemon & zest and water to the slow cooker.
3hrs on high with the lid on, stirring occasionally; 1hr on low, lid off stirring occasionally.
Blend (I like it smooth and thick v’s chunky).
Jamsetta is optional, makes it set thicker. I got a cup, used half of the jamsetta pack & some of the puréed fruit to mix and added it in. then Bottled it up Cooking time could vary depending on how hot and fast your cooker is.

gerry64, Feb 1, 8:57am
Thank you all -can remember my Mum making jam and it boiling for hours with her stiring endlessly to stop it sticking on the stove top -it is so hot over here was hoping to avoid that -I do have a bread maker -that is another option -I could just freeze the plums and do small lots

fifie, Feb 1, 9:21am
Gerry if your interested and on facebook the group is Slow Cooker recipes 4 Families, its oz based just amazing what some are cooking in this heat in their s/c instead of turning the oven on.

bunny51, Feb 1, 9:27am
My daughter's class made jam in the crockpot. Cooked it on high for a long time. They made mixed berry jam and it tasted really nice.

gerry64, Feb 1, 10:00am
Thanks fifie will hop on facebook now -yep my oven has been replaced with an airfryer until this heat beggars off

gerry64, Feb 1, 11:03am
Fantastic facebook page -thanks for that fifie -

lofty010247, Feb 2, 1:41am
I tried the above slow cooker recipe earlier this week - took almost 2 hours to even come to the boil so left it on high for an extra our (4 in total) then an hour plus on low . just looked like stewed fruit so ended up finishing it off on the stove. Admittedly I didn't have the jamseta so whether that would make a difference. After all that tho, the jam turned out really nice - Mrs L

fifie, Apr 4, 10:41am
Be aware that nearly all recipes in that group are for the newer slow cookers, i have older crockpot as well and some either dont work or take a bit longer to cook as it dosent cook as hot as the new ones do. Each cooker is different from what i can make out the new breville searing one cooks really hot and a lot quicker, so maybe jam is better made in something like that.