What alcohol is best for a trifle?

Page 2 / 2
battgirl, Dec 12, 8:19pm
I use brandy.

ljayl, Dec 12, 9:07pm
A good red wine is nice tooespeciallyif you have raspberry jam on the sponge .

lilyfield, Dec 12, 10:24pm
Actually the challenge is off, can,t afford the Kirsch at over 50 bucks a bottle. Sherry it will have to be.

buddynz1, Dec 12, 10:40pm
my late Mother put too much Sherry in one year and it was horrible :-) and my son who was about 9 or 10 has never eaten trifle since ( and he is 37 )

rarogal, Dec 14, 3:11am
Sherry is the traditional alcohol to use, but I make a chocolate trifle and use kahlua.

jynx66, Dec 14, 3:19am
I'm one of those who doesn't like sherry (or any other alcohol) in her trifle; I prefer to make a jelly with half the normal amount of water and pour that over the sponge and allow it to set before continuing.
I do like alcohol in other things though. Right now I'm enjoying a Butterscotch Latte with a little toffee schnapps added. One or two more of those this pm and I won't be cooking dinner!

gordonh69, Dec 14, 5:19am
Cheap sherry. The cheaper the better and remember to use lots of it. yum yum

sarahb5, Dec 14, 7:52am
No its not - Harveys Bristol Cream or even Pykes - as long as it's produced in Spain it is good but needs to be cream sherry IMHO

sarahb5, Dec 14, 7:54am
I don't have a recipe for trifle but I still put sherry in mine!

nauru, Dec 14, 8:11am
If you use sherry, make it a cream sherry, that's my preference anyway.

cgvl, Dec 14, 8:36am
sherry mixed with the juice from a can of peaches and ginger ale. The amounts are up to you but this is what my mother and gmother used. Straight sherry is too strong it really needs watering down a tad especially if the kids are eating the trifle as well.

sarahb5, Dec 14, 8:47am
No watering down here but I only put a splash in not a bucketful and keeps the kids quiet for the afternoon too!

gilligee, Dec 14, 9:25am
Use whatever you have in the cupboard.

cookessentials, Dec 14, 9:28am
yes, for the traditional English trifle, absolutely.

dbab, Dec 15, 1:33am
Cherry or apricot brandy is really nice.

rozke, Dec 15, 2:40am
sherry l like it in trifle. Hell l like it anywhere . Have bought 3 bottles so far to make a Christmas pudding No pudding just MT bottles

calista, Dec 15, 3:06am
Rozke I do that with some of the dried fruit and especially the nuts for the Christmas cakes.

sarahb5, Dec 15, 3:09am
Ha ha - I thought my friend and I were a dying breed of sherry drinkers! It just tastes like Christmas to me

toffeey, Jun 12, 11:07am
I love Marsala in trifle. Can't wait to make this year's Xmas trifle. Yum yum