Leftover ideas for cold Corned Beef please?

mgc54, Jun 23, 11:56pm
Anyone got any recipe ideas for cold Corned Beef?
I am thinking something like a cottage pie with mashed potato top?
Thank You for any ideas you may have.

jan2242, Jun 24, 12:07am
Bubble and squeak, pie as you said, added to a stir fry (the beef gives the flavour).

245sam, Jun 24, 12:08am
mgc54, here's an option if you can get nice slices of the corned beef.
SWEET & SOUR MEAT IN BATTER.
Make a smooth batter with 1 cup flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1 egg, approximately 3/4 cup milk. Leave the batter to stand whilst preparing the Sauce: 2 tbsp oil, 1 onion (chopped), 1 carrot (grated), 1 green capsicum (chopped), 2 tbsp each of sugar & tomato sauce, 1 tbsp each of soy sauce & vinegar, 1/2 tsp chopped root ginger, 1 small can pineapple (drained & the juice reserved), cornflour. Heat the oil, then add the onion, carrot & capsicum. Cook for 1 minute. Add the remaining ingredients, except the reserved juice & cornflour. Bring to the boil, then thicken the sauce with cornflour blended with the reserved juice. Cut leftover meat into 6mm (1/4") thick slices & dip the slices in the batter, then fry them in hot oil. Pour the sauce over the meat to serve. :-))

245sam, Jun 24, 12:09am
From the former Trade Me Cooks.
"Left Over Corned Beef
Ground up corned beef makes a really tasty shepherds pie! Never enough left over here for us to do it though!
posted by mamabiff

I always put my old left over corned beef/brisket into a blender with mustard sauce and make a sandwich spread out of it.
posted by kermitnz1

mmmm rissoles with mustard-cheesey sauce
posted by dacaveman

I put mine into blender to break it down then add it to creamy mashed potatoes in shallow dish and top with cheese, bake then grill and serve mmm
posted by purplegoanna

I break my leftover up and I boil potatoes mash them as u do then add the corn beef sum cheese onion and tomato put in a dish sprinkle with cheese and breadcrumbs and bake
posted by misstrouble1

Mr CharlieB (the pom) misses corned beef hash from home, so the other night, in my own way, tried to make something up that was similar. He raved about it. Corned beef chopped into cubes. fry chopped onion. add beef cubes. I then took that out and added some cubed up cooked potato. cooked till golden. added meat back in and chucked in a tin of baked beans! He loved it and can't wait for me to make it again. go figure!
posted by charlieb2

This is the best
Cut thick slices with a slice through middle so you can make a sandwhich (like when you only cut a breadroll a wee way though). In the middle put cheese (mozzeralla is best but any will be nice, and some relish or mustard) close with a toothpick then dip in egg and breadcrumbs. Shallow fry - I love it and intentionally buy extra corned beef so we can have this.
posted by helen59

Corned Beef hash.
Dice corned beef. fry chopped onion, diced celery, cooked carrot diced, cooked potatoes diced, whatever other veges you like.S&P. Add corned beef and a little mustard sauce or gravy, bake in oven 30 min.
posted by dreamer371

"The Dish"
Chop up the silverside, onions cooked to golden, hard boiled eggs, and any other vegies you might have left over. Make a cheese sauce, up to two cups depending on the amount of solids you have to put in. Put the chopped ingredients into a casserole dish. pour the cheese sauce over it, add grated cheese on top and bake, 30 minutes in moderate oven. Bon appetit.
posted by pussytux" :-))

245sam, Jun 24, 12:11am
more from the former Trade me Cooks.
"Corn beef hash
Ingredients: 1-1/2 cups finely ground corned beef 3 cups finely chopped potatoes, pre-boiled and cooled 1 small onion, minced 1/3 cup beef stock salt and pepper to taste In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together. Make 6 patties and place them in a large, well-oiled skillet. Add a little butter and cook until the bottoms are crisp and brown. Lower the heat to medium and flip the patties. Cook slowly until crisp and brown on both sides. Serve hot, topped with a poached egg. Variation: Substitute roast beef for corned beef.
Cornbeef Patties
INGREDIENTS 1kg potatoes, peeled, chopped coarsely 400g left-over corned beef, shredded 2 tbl finely chopped parsley 1 tbl chopped chives 4 green onions, chopped finely 1 tbl wholegrain mustard (optional) Salt & black pepper 2 tbl Dijon mustard 1/3 cup mayonnaise 1 lemon, cut into wedges METHOD Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Cook potatoes in large pan of boiling salted water until tender; drain and mash thoroughly. Combine in large bowl with beef, parsley, chives, onions, mustard and salt & pepper. Shape potato mixture into 12 patties. Place on baking paper lined baking trays and bake in preheated oven 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve immediately with combined mustard and mayonnaise and lemon wedges.
both posted by firecentaurr

mine is corn beef pie
cook and mash veg potato carrot parsnip pumpkin etc snall onion chopped fine 2 cups white sauce grated cheese layer meat veg and sauce in greased proof dish finish with sauce sprinkle with cheese bake 20 to 30 mins
another 1 is corn beef puffs
1cup cold mashed potato 1cup flour 1 tsp bp 1 small onion 1 cup minced beef mix beef onion s& p now mix the potato into flour BP to form a dough roll out half inch thick cut into 5in rounds place meat mixture in middle pinch edges together then fry in deep oil until golden brown
above 2 posted by harrislucinda

Margaret Hilton's recipe for Posh Corned Beef Hash.
Cut up 2 onions and fry with butter and garlic. Take a tin of corned beef chop it up and mix in tomato ketchup, Soy sauce and a tbl of brown sugar. Put all ingredients on a ovenproof dish, then add some cooked and halved new potatoes on top, finish off with grated cheddar cheese cook in the oven 200C
posted by kiwitrish

Left Over Corned Beef
I make this with left over corned beef rather than tinned - but can be made with both. Mince the left over meat, adding plenty of garlic,put itno casserole dish mix together 2 Tbsp tomato sauce, cup cold black tea Pout this over the meat and stir through. Cover with mashed potatoes and sprinkle with cheese Heat in oven and at end of cooking grill cheese. So simple yet tastes devine. Enjoy
posted by nallim

Silverside salad
In Switzerland we make a salad out of cold silverside. Sorry if my English is not up to scratch: Cut the silverside in small pieces, if you wish you can add cheese cut into small sticks, add 2 gherkins cut into slices and two tomatoes cut into small cubes. Chopp an onion and add.---- Sauce: 2 teaspoons mustard, pepper to taste, herbsalt to taste, 3 tablespoons vinegar, 4 tablespoons oil, mix and pour over the meat and leave to stand for half an hour or so. As decoration sprinkle with chopped boiled egg if desired.
posted by ivyplus

This is yummy
1 onion, 2 cloves garlic, 1 Tbsp oil, 2 potatoes cooked and cubed, 1 cup chopped cooked silverbeet, 1 can Hellaby's Corned Beef flaked, 3 eggs, 1 cup trim milk, 1/2 cup SR flour, freshly ground pepper. Peel & chop the onion & garlic. Saute in the oil. Add to the potato, silverbeet & corned beef in a large bowl. Beat the eggs, milk & flour and add to the rest. Use an ovenproof dish approx 20 cm square. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 400deg. Lovely hot, warm or cold.
posted by lulu239" :-))

245sam, Jun 24, 12:13am
also from the former Trade Me Cooks.

"Corned Beef Melt
Ingredients Caramelised onions * 50g butter + 50ml oil * 1kg onions, thinly sliced * 1½ tsp crushed garlic * 4 tsp balsamic vinegar * Salt and pepper to taste Roasted garlic and mustard mayo * 80g mayonnaise * 20g roasted garlic * 20g wholegrain mustard * 8 soft flour tortillas, or Lebanese pita bread * 360g corned beef, shaved * 320g grated cheddar cheese
posted by sam924

Red Flannel Hash
Equal quantities of diced corned beef, cooked potato, cooked beetroot (not pickled), thinly sliced onion, salt and pepper, lots of chopped parsley or marjoram. Fry in butter or oil over medium heat, turning occasionally, for about 30 min or until it is brown in patches. Add a good sprinkling of Worcestorshire sauce, more parsley on top. Extra good served with a poached or fried egg on top. posted by davidt4

This always disappears fast (especailly with boys)
Thinly slice the corned beef and layer it in a suitably sized casserole dish, make mashed potatoes with lots of butter, you can also cook carrots with the potatoes and mash them together and sometimes I 3/4 cook cabbage and mix this through as well, add a good pinch of mustard and spread over the corned beef, top with grated cheese and bake,until the cheese in brown on top
posted by karenz

Easy as and yum too
My mum taught me to use the leftovers with this simple idea: mince in the food processor, make a white sauce with 1t curry powder and put the minced corned beef in, yummo! Nice for breakfast on toast.
posted by strawwarehouse"

Hope that helps. :-))

mgc54, Jun 24, 4:35am
Thank You for your replies everyone. lots of good ideas there.

lythande1, Jun 24, 4:57am
Yuk. Whats wrong with just cold with some nice relish and salad? What we do.

245sam, Jun 24, 6:21am
Like most of us who are coping with very cold temperatures, IMO OP appears to be thinking of hot/warming food rather than the cold meat and salad meals that most of us really enjoy during considerably warmer weather. :-))

motorbo, Jun 24, 7:55am
the old edmonds cookbook had a mustard sauce recipe to go with hot corned beef. if you made patties with onions and chopped corned beef and mashed spuds the hot sauce would be awesome with them. im a bit like lythande1 when i used to eat it i loved it so much cold i never though of reheating it, but you can

fishplants, Jun 25, 11:27pm
Cook some cabbage or sauerkraut and lay cold slices of corned beef on top to warm, serve with steamed buttered potatoes and lots of mustard (or mustard sauce).

pricilla, Jun 26, 12:14am
Left over corned beef cut into cubes add a small amount to a can of Baked Beans & heat yummy on toast. Also nice in Macaroni & Cheese.

sampa, Jun 26, 12:32am
245sam what a fabulous collection of ideas! I'm gazing into my crystal crockpot ;-) and see corned beef on the menu for this weekend thanks.

karlymouse, Jun 26, 2:12am
I used to make this when we ate corned beef for the leftover.

Make a normal flour batter, add spring onions and cubed corned meat and seasonings. Fry as patties and apparently good with Tomatoe Sauce if you eat it.

didi37, Jun 26, 3:25am
Corned beef sandwiches for lunch. Yum !

harrislucinda, Apr 30, 10:04am
corn beef puffs
mince beef season finely chopped onion tomato sauce
make a dough with mashed spud and tsp baking powder and flour
roll out 1/2 inch thick about round as saucer then place spoon full meat in fold up corners to middle then fry until golden