Are you fussy about olive oil?

Page 2 / 2
cgvl, Mar 4, 10:58pm
Village Press Franitoto is the one I prefer, find Barnea and Manzanillo taste different and are slightly stronger in flavour. Only use in dressings or for dip with dukkha.

paora-tm, Mar 4, 11:06pm
During my google searching I came across sites with warnings about some oils being less healthy than others and the benefits of dark bottles for storage. Have you seen and do you believe any of that? Surely if dark bottles were better, everyone would use them.

twindizzy, Mar 4, 11:44pm
They cloud up in lighter bottles. Pretty easy to spot on the shelves.

davidt4, Mar 5, 12:57am

gaspodetwd, Mar 5, 7:22am
Village press here too. I don't like manzanillo but I live the other varieties. We always use Frantoio for vinaigrettes and salads. It's clean and fresh and fruity.

paora-tm, Mar 5, 7:32am
Oh really, please tell me more. Where when etc.

paora-tm, Mar 5, 7:44am
I chose that one because it said 'Dressings' on the label. Anyway I made a Balsamic Vinaigrette tonight and all is good . wonderful, in fact. I'm kicking myself because I've never dared to use the Balsamic vinegar which has been sitting in the pantry for a long long long time - OMG, the delight I have been missing out on! I shall never consume a commercial salad dressing ever again.

gaspodetwd, Mar 5, 7:47am
If you think that's good, try raspberry vinegar to make a dressing.

Sublime!

drommy, Mar 5, 9:54am
Balsamic is AMAZING. my go-to salad dressing is a drizzle of balsamic, a drizzle of olive oil - usually the cheap stuff! - salt and pepper.

Love balsamic vinegar.

Edited to correct spell-age.

paora-tm, Mar 6, 3:17am
Well, I bought the Village Press Frantoio today and can't say I notice too much difference to the Manzanillo apart from being quite peppery. Nevermind, I only really notice the bitterness when tasting it on its own. My doctor will no doubt be pleased that I'm using olive oil more and other fats less.

paora-tm, Mar 6, 5:12am
I should have asked before I went shopping. Who sells it?

denzie, Mar 6, 8:27am
Yes. I love Lusatori olive oils and Seresin's olive oils. Both from Marlborough.

paora-tm, Mar 6, 10:02am
Cripes, at $35 a bottle you would need to love it after paying for it!

buzzy110, Mar 6, 11:23pm
I've been to Farmer's markets up and down the country. Check out your local one. Any reputable olive grower who is selling their own oil will provide tastings.

bev00, Mar 7, 11:29am
interesting.

dreamers, Mar 7, 7:37pm
This makes for an interesting read.I see some are in our supermarkets.
http://cdn.eatlocalgrown.com/10-fake-olive-oil.html

terraalba, Mar 7, 9:27pm
Fresh is best I was told so I always check the dates on the bottle of the extra virgin oil. Village Press is the brand in the cupboard at the moment.

davidt4, Mar 7, 10:01pm
Fascinating! More good reason to buy NZ olive oil. I noticed in the supermarket the other day that Village Press is now marketing a cheaper olive oil made from a blend of NZ and Australian oils. It might we worth checking out for anyone who is on a budget.

sarahb5, Mar 7, 10:57pm
They all cloud up when they're cold - you just can't see it in a dark bottle

eaglefan, Mar 7, 11:23pm
Haven't bought any olive oil for 5+ years. Priced itself off our shopping list.

valentino, Mar 7, 11:38pm
Tried a real freshly made olive oil recently. felt that I was in the middle of a freshly mown green grass paddock, simply lovely. Quality is always defined with prices and a lot of cheaper ones can be nasty, even thrown out one lot. Also be wary at supermarkets, e.g. says they are the cheapest yet sell two brands that are very cheap in quality and should had been binnned, couple of others are okay and make a good regular buys. Unsure on other Supermarkets though. I have about 3 or 4 various ones regularly using them accordingly as I want them for.

buzzy110, Mar 8, 12:41am
Of course they that is because a good olive oil solidifies when cold. They melt again when brought to room temperature.

sarahb5, Jan 11, 9:46am
I know .