I can't believe how much butter and oil

dbab, Mar 20, 4:17am
were being used in the Masterchef Master Class on Friday night. Ray commented on how much oil was floating around on top of his tomato sauce, but said not to worry about it. They have their food almost ready, and then add another huge dollop of butter to bring out the flavour.
I couldn't understand Ray using that much salt to cook his pasta either.
We now use very little salt and really notice when there's a lot added.

bedazzledjewels, Mar 20, 4:18am
It's for flavour.

dbab, Mar 20, 4:19am
I know that, but not that much!!

bedazzledjewels, Mar 20, 4:23am
Why not? They're the professional chefs!

kinna54, Mar 20, 4:48am
Hmm I did notice as well, but how many times have you eaten pasta that is bland, or gloopy. It certainly did look yummy, and I guess as you wouldn't eat it every day it would be okay. All things in moderation......... and yes, they are the professionals.
You would probably order that in a restaurant and never know.

davidt4, Mar 20, 5:53am
Exactly.And the salt in the pasta water is also there to raise the temperature of the water.Nothing wrong with butter, olive oil and salt, and much better for you than convenience foods full of sugar, MSG and trans fats.

karlymouse, Mar 20, 10:39am
The salt in pasta is for the buoyancy in the water for the pasta to float.

dbab, Mar 21, 4:17am
were being used in the Masterchef Master Class on Friday night. Ray commented on how much oil was floating around on top of his tomato sauce, but said not to worry about it. They have their food almost ready, and then add another huge dollop of butter to bring out the flavour.
I couldn't understand Ray using that much salt to cook his pasta either.
We now use very little salt and really notice when there's a lot added.

bedazzledjewels, Mar 21, 4:18am
It's for flavour.

dbab, Mar 21, 4:19am
I know that, but not that much!

bedazzledjewels, Mar 21, 4:23am
Why not! They're the professional chefs!

kinna54, Mar 21, 4:48am
Hmm I did notice as well, but how many times have you eaten pasta that is bland, or gloopy. It certainly did look yummy, and I guess as you wouldn't eat it every day it would be okay. All things in moderation. and yes, they are the professionals.
You would probably order that in a restaurant and never know.