Mayo recipe..what oil to use?

matt_forall, Jun 21, 2:19am
gona try making mayo tonight, what type of oil do you use? Ive heard some use sunflower oil and others say Olive oil

pickles7, Jun 21, 2:29am
whole egg mayonnaise

1 whole egg
juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
150 mils of sunflower oil
150 mils of canola oil
You will need a stick blender and a tall beaker to make this mayonnaise.
Put the egg into the beaker first
Put the other ingredients carefully on top of the egg, so as not to disturb the egg.
Lower the stick blender in to the bottom without disturbing the ingredients.
Pulse the blender, until the ingredients start to emulsify, tilt the blender to allow the oil to be incorporated.

We prefer to use two diferent oils. Olive can be over powering.

beaker59, Jun 21, 2:35am
I use canola and make it very simply prefering to keep it plain then mix additives in for different uses.

2 eggs into blender thrn 1/tsp salt pulse stir while slowly adding oil til you get a nice mayo I don't measure the oil preferring to just go by feel.

matt_forall, Jun 21, 2:44am
is it best to make it in a blender or food processor?On youtube Gordan Ramsy makes it in a food processor...which isbest?

cloudberry, Jun 21, 3:15am
I use light olive oil rather than extra virgin because the evoo is too overpowering. Sometimes I add a little melted ghee at the end, just for the taste. I make it in a beaker with a stick blender, so quick and easy.

My recipe: Crack an egg into your blender container. Don’t even bother to separate the yolk. Add two teaspoons of dijon mustard, a tablespoon of lemon juice, (or more to taste) and salt to taste (a big pinch should do it.) Pour in 200ml of oil. I use light olive oil. Put stick blender to the very bottom of the container and blend until it thickens into mayonnaise. That's it! World's laziest mayonnaise.

beaker59, Jun 21, 3:53am
You are making an emulsion so speed is good though it can be made by hand with a whisk so anything will do I guess it depends on whats easiest in your kitchen. I use my blender as I find it easy to clean afterwards.

fenian1, Jun 21, 4:44am
I use the whisk attachment on my stick blender does great job

gardie, Jun 21, 5:07am
I like the food processor and I use rice bran oil.I used to use grapeseed but I found by comparison with rice bran, the grapeseed has an 'oilier' texture.I don't like the flavour of any oil, and find rice bran doesn't have a flavour.I can use mustards for flavourings (and a good white wine vinegar).Annabel Langbein has a fab mayo recipe that keeps well.

bedazzledjewels, Jun 21, 5:10am
Agree Cloudberry - I wouldn't touch canola and seed oils but that's a personal choice.

nauru, Jun 22, 5:41am
Would you share your recipe please?I too prefer to use rice bran oil.I use it with butter to make a spread too.

gardie, Jun 22, 7:31am
Honey Mustard Mayo(adapted from Annabel Langbein)
Put into blender:
1 tsp dijon mustard(I heap it)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
3 tbsp lemon juice
3 egg yolks (freeze the whiles for a pav later)
1 tbsp honey (or to taste).

Whiz altogether then slowly pour oil down the shute.
2 cups grapeseed/ricebran oil.

Put into a plastic jar, seal and refrigerate.I've kept this for 3 weeks easily.You can change the mustards - use wholeseed, replace the honey with some white sugar (it's not quite right without the sweetness IMO) or just adjust flavourings to suit.

Nauru - I'd love to hear your quantities for the butter.This sounds like a fab replacement for the dreaded margarine and make the butter go a little further too.

gardie, Jun 25, 6:09pm
bumping for advice from nauru on butter/ricebran oil spread.