Mom getting her son to eat healthy food .

Page 1 / 2
uli, Jul 28, 6:21am
Toddlers are famously picky eaters, but this Australian mom has no trouble getting her son, Jacob, to eat healthy food.
Every day, Lelah Mohmedi makes Jacob nutritious breakfasts, lunches and snacks — in the shapes of his favorite cartoon characters. And she documents it all on the Instagram account @jacobs_food_diaries.
Best of all, they're personalized. Mohmedi often includes a set of fruit letters spelling out Jacob's name. Our personal favorites are the apple letters.

Someone get this woman an award, preferably a trophy made from watermelon.

http://www.itechsum.com/mashable/item/197817-mom-makes-adorable-cartoon-shaped-snacks-for-her-toddler more pics here: http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/essenskunst-gesunde-comic-helden-fotostrecke-128670.html

REALLY?
This is how he is trained up to eat food?
I wonder how he will behave when he gets older?

rainrain1, Jul 28, 6:50am
Uli you are showing your age, you have forgotten what picky eaters some little ones can be. Anything that gets the food down the hatch< I don't think they will want to eat like that forever!

melford, Jul 28, 7:17am
perhaps her son is autistic many of these children severely restrict their food intake so anything is worth a go. Well done Mum I wish I was as clever !

samanya, Jul 28, 7:28am
Great . is this how you got your chlldren to eat healthy food?

geldof, Jul 28, 7:57am
lol, At least he should be able to spell his name.

nauru, Jul 28, 8:13am
Yes melford, I agree. I would and do try anything to get them to eat a decent meal at any time.

uli, Jul 28, 9:44pm
I do admire you ladies!
Wonder how it will work when Baby number 2 arrives.

pickles7, Jul 28, 10:37pm
Child number 1 would have probably choked on a tooth pick by then . uli.

rainrain1, Jul 28, 11:38pm
The idea could come in useful for cocktails when they're older, they are definitely tasty looking.

lythande1, Jul 29, 1:03am
Simple.
If they don't eat, they're not hungry. Like cats.

buzzy110, Jul 29, 1:22am
I wonder what is used to make the black hair.

Children usually eat fruit without all that palavar. Maybe she was just trying to think of a good angle for showing off her fruit characters and artistic skills and also getting herself some publicity.

Now I'd like to see what she does with cauliflower, cabbage, eggplant, broccoli, bok choy, etc. Will she be as creative and will the foods be presented before they are cooked to death so that there is no nutrition.

To other posters. Did the article specifically say the child was autistic. I know it takes a bit to get autistic children to eat.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jul/19/lunchtime-revolution-school-children-autism

This man has done wonders in that area. No cartoon characters from him though.

vmax2, Jul 29, 1:35am
I pandered to my first born. Bad mistake. He's still fussy. No. 2 and 3 eat just about anything. If they don't like it they go hungry. The food above does look gorgeous and I appreciate the artistry. But for me now real food in all its wonderful rainbow of colours really excites me.

karlymouse, Jul 29, 3:15am
Looks like a person who has plenty of time on their hands to indulge and play. nice for the child I guess.

uli, Jul 29, 5:36am
Haha! I would say at a rough guess he will have problems changing from mum to wife :) or any partner that would "cut up" to his ideas.

But never mind - that is not what this thread was about.

I started it to say "why would you go to this extreme to raise a kid?"

And we had interesting results.
The first posting people were the ones who thought I am mad - then later we got some different posts - from people that might not be online all day and night - who thought maybe that extreme is not such a good idea.

Background:
When I was a kid I ate what was on the table, knowing there was nothing else. I did not HAVE to eat it - no-one ever made me eat a salad or veges only to be able to have dessert. To this day I am not very interested in dessert, but in real food. And while it took about 14 years to get interested in green beans for example - I now love them. Kids know what is good for them (same with spinach).

What is this kid going to do if the ingredients are all of a sudden (because of a new baby or mother getting ill or losing interest) just in a salad or a bowl before it - without all the fuss? Will he still eat "his healthy food".

We can only think and guess about it - maybe we need to ask the reporter in 10 years time for another interview?

Shall I bump this thread until then :)

hezwez, Jul 29, 5:40am
Are the kids you have experience of, goat or human uli?

melford, Jul 29, 6:48am
Thats a myth -read up on autistic children

beaker59, Jul 29, 7:00am
We had trouble with our youngest, who is mildly Aspergic, we as most parents in that situation had to get creative because every child like that has different triggers. For us it was consistency so we made 14 identical dinners once a fortnight and froze them in identical containers. Each pack contained the same basics exactly (otherwise he would refuse to eat) to which was added a little of one new thing. He had to eat the one new thing first then he could have the dinner he was used to thus slowly his palate of foods he could eat gradually grew until now as a teen he eats pretty much anything.

stefanie, Jul 29, 7:05am
I don't have children, but it looks a hell of a lot of food for a toddler! It could also be that the mother likes the recognition/fame on the social media and the toddler might not be fussy at all. it seems a little ridiculous (unless it's a birthday).

samanya, Jul 29, 7:06am
Yep. Beautiful presentations . but for a working mum with 3 kids, say?
As someone said if kids don't eat 'ordinary' 'healthy' food, are they really hungry?
I don't know.

nauru, Jul 29, 8:00am
Quite melford, sometimes it can be quite a battle trying to get them to eat anything at all. Anything out of the ordinary is a definite no no as far as my Grandson is concerned and different foods can't touch each other on the plate either. Managed to get banana milk (not the bottled shop bought stuff) into him during the holidays with some other goodies whizzed in it, which was a major triumph. From then on banana milk is an everyday drink.

kids4ever, Jul 29, 8:17am
ok, so you aren't a mother, DON'T comment until you have children or not, you will never understand unless you are a mum, and every child is different, and i think the mother of this child is very artistic and should open a shop or website. well done to her

sampa, Jul 29, 8:30am
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2766312/Stop-playing-food-Mother-two-creates-astonishing-cartoon-artwork-sons-packed-lunches.html

Exhausting. Once, many years ago, my then young son wanted to make a montage type thing (something he'd seen on telly or in a book. can't remember) using fresh veg. It was all Cauli and Broccoli 'trees' and Carrot 'bridges' celery, cucumber etc so I agreed. But. I had just one proviso. we make it, you try everything that goes into it.

We made it (looked fab) and he did - try everything - and it opened his eyes to fresh, raw veg. Still prefers any of his veg raw even to this day. :)

rainrain1, Jul 29, 8:35pm
My kids were never picky with their food, they would have had to go hungry. They used to enjoy ploughing the top of the mashed potato with a fork while making tractor noises though, that was the nearest thing to kiddie designer food.

uli, Jul 30, 4:48am
What? They never built ponds for the gravy with the mash? Then carefully breach the wall so it hits the meat or veges outside?

rainrain1, Jul 30, 5:27am
No, but I bet you still do Uli