Healthy meals to help hubby lose weight

binnie100, Apr 21, 10:11pm
Can I please have some healthy meal ideas that are fairly quick to put together - breakfast, lunch & dinner. Hubby needs to lose about 20kgs, and I know I need to have meals prepared, otherwise he won't eat anything for breakfast, sometimes no lunch,then he grabs something quick on the road. I should be meal planning, but haven't got that far yet. Thanks in advance :)
Oh, and Happy Easter everyone!

jody23, Apr 21, 10:17pm
Hi, you can find some good recipes on here.
http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/recipes

knowsley, Apr 21, 10:18pm
Maybe if you gave some idea of what he is currently eating - the meals themselves may be fine, it might just be a matter or portion size or minor tweaking...

pickles7, Apr 21, 10:27pm
http://www.diet-weight-lose.com/food-combining-diet/food-combining-meal-plan.php
See if that plan could work for your house hold. I have done very well. I find it is just so easy myself

fee1965, Apr 21, 10:38pm
make sure he gets lots of protein at every meal then he won;t feel hungry.
Breakfast - beans and egg on toast, ham and egg toasties, muesli with fruit/yoghurt and a hard boiled egg, mince on toast
Lunch ; ham n salad vogels and a hard boiled egg, pita pocket pizza with bacon and ham on, quesadillas with ham, cheese, peppers, mushrooms in, left over chilli in a tortilla....so many more ideas

bedazzledjewels, Apr 21, 10:59pm
Poster #1 - yes, you will need to be organised if he wants you to prepare his food.
Aim for real food (veges, eggs, meat, fish, poultry - mostly unprocessed) and foods that will satisfy his appetite so he doesn't feel hungry 2 hours after eating.
As Fee says, protein is important - and good fats (animal not porcessed vege oils). Good luck - it's not easy. He needs to focus on getting healthier then the weight will come off without obsessing about it.

binnie100, Apr 21, 11:12pm
Thanks for replies. He pretty much only eats breakfast or lunch if I've prepared it - not always easy while chasing after 2 kids and running office side of business!! He is really busy with work (we live upstairs) Breakfast might be eggs on toast, or Hubbards muesli, or sometimes chopped up fruit with yoghurt on top. Lunches are pretty hit and miss - I'm not that organised: sometimes I'll make a salad (ham, eggs, tomatos, cheese cubes, cucumber, carrot), or it will be toasted sandwiches or mini pizzas (pita bread, spaghetti, ham, cheese), or I might have made a quiche if I have time (courgettes, flour, oil, eggs, bacon, onion). Dinner might be sweet & sour chicken on rice, roast with veges, or a sort of stew in the crockpot. Both really busy and sometimes dinner time arrives, and we've still got no idea what we're having. Really need to meal plan

davidt4, Apr 21, 11:42pm
Here is a recipe for a fantastic stand-by for breakfast or lunch (or dinner for that matter).It keeps well in the fridge for two or three days, is very portableand can be frozen.

http://www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=213:breakfast-slab-bacon-a-eggs-on-the-go&catid=66:breakfast&Itemid=67

binnie100, Apr 22, 10:11pm
Can I please have some healthy meal ideas that are fairly quick to put together - breakfast, lunch & dinner. Hubby needs to lose about 20kgs, and I know I need to have meals prepared, otherwise he won't eat anything for breakfast, sometimes no lunch,then he grabs something quick on the road. I should be meal planning, but haven't got that far yet. Thanks in advance :)
Oh, and Happy Easter everyone!

knowsley, Apr 22, 10:18pm
Maybe if you gave some idea of what he is currently eating - the meals themselves may be fine, it might just be a matter or portion size or minor tweaking.

fee1965, Apr 22, 10:38pm
make sure he gets lots of protein at every meal then he won;t feel hungry.
Breakfast - beans and egg on toast, ham and egg toasties, muesli with fruit/yoghurt and a hard boiled egg, mince on toast
Lunch ; ham n salad vogels and a hard boiled egg, pita pocket pizza with bacon and ham on, quesadillas with ham, cheese, peppers, mushrooms in, left over chilli in a tortilla.so many more ideas

bedazzledjewels, Apr 22, 10:59pm
Poster #1 - yes, you will need to be organised if he wants you to prepare his food.
Aim for real food (veges, eggs, meat, fish, poultry - mostly unprocessed) and foods that will satisfy his appetite so he doesn't feel hungry 2 hours after eating.
The Paleo approach appeals to many guys - here's a short amusing video -
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=uCFZoqmKf5M

As Fee says, protein is important - and good fats (animal not processed seed oils). Good luck - it's not easy. He needs to focus on getting healthier then the weight will come off without obsessing about it.

binnie100, Apr 22, 11:12pm
Thanks for replies. He pretty much only eats breakfast or lunch if I've prepared it - not always easy while chasing after 2 kids and running office side of business! He is really busy with work (we live upstairs) Breakfast might be eggs on toast, or Hubbards muesli, or sometimes chopped up fruit with yoghurt on top. Lunches are pretty hit and miss - I'm not that organised: sometimes I'll make a salad (ham, eggs, tomatos, cheese cubes, cucumber, carrot), or it will be toasted sandwiches or mini pizzas (pita bread, spaghetti, ham, cheese), or I might have made a quiche if I have time (courgettes, flour, oil, eggs, bacon, onion). Dinner might be sweet & sour chicken on rice, roast with veges, or a sort of stew in the crockpot. Both really busy and sometimes dinner time arrives, and we've still got no idea what we're having. Really need to meal plan

davidt4, Apr 22, 11:42pm
Here is a recipe for a fantastic stand-by for breakfast or lunch (or dinner for that matter).It keeps well in the fridge for two or three days, is very portableand can be frozen.

http://www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz/index.php!option=com_content&view=article&id=213:breakfast-slab-bacon-a-eggs-on-the-go&catid=66:breakfast&Itemid=67