I just brought a new mixer

Page 1 / 2
cybertech, Feb 15, 6:36am
its a Breville Scraper mixer bm410 and I can't wait to try it out, but I will wait til tomorrow. I guess the first thing I should try is a cake. any ideas on an easy cake mix. choc or coffee or! have the basics like flour sugar b.powder cocoa eggs etc.any suggestions greatly appreciated.

ange164, Feb 15, 7:12am
ALBERT SQUARE - recipe from my pre-metric Edmond's book so the metric conversion is mine based on 1oz = 28.4g - this is the recipe I have always very successfully used. I use a NZ standard 250ml measuring cup and standard measuring spoons (1 tbsp = 15ml, 1 dssp = 10ml, 1 tsp = 5ml).

115g (¼lb) butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
essence to flavour - I always use lemon essence
1 dssp golden syrup
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
1 cup currants
milk to mix - I measured the amount used and found it to be 12 tbsp (approximately ¾ cup)

Cream the butter and sugar, then add the eggs, one at a time. Beat well, then add all other ingredients. Pour the mixture into a sponge roll tin.
Bake at 180°C for 30-40 minutes.
Ice with a plain white icing and sprinkle with desiccated coconut. :-)) from 245sam

lilyfield, Feb 15, 7:38am
bought

uli, Feb 15, 7:50am
I am glad someone brought it to you - or did you bry it yourself!

cybertech, Feb 15, 8:20am
Actually my hubby BOUGHT it for me. happy now.lol

cybertech, Feb 16, 7:51am
anyone else got any easy recipes!

uli, Feb 16, 8:16am
Maybe give us an idea what that "mixer" does - is it a cake "mixer" or a food processor or a juicer mixer!

And also what recipes would you like! Cakes, salads, mince or what!

ange164, Feb 16, 8:37am
Ginger Biscuits.

This rolls out well if you dust surface with flour as necessary during the rolling out process.
Ideally have a cake mixer to do this as it helps to get the mixture to bind together. (My arm muscles seldom have that much omph when it comes to beating cookie dough.)
125 g butter.
1 egg
2 rounded teaspoons ginger
1/2 T golden syrup
1 cup sugar
2 and 1/2 cupsflour
1 rounded teaspoon baking powder.
1. Cream the butter and sugar and syrup.
2. Beat in the egg.
3. Add the dry ingredients and mix until the mixture balls up around the beater.
(It should be a play dough texture. If too sticky add a bit more flour 1 Tablespoon at a time.)
4.Roll out to 5-8 mm thick and cut your shapes. These will grow a little, so give them space and if you like them crunchy - 5mm thick, softer = roll thicker.
5. Alternatively, roll tablespoons full into balls and flatten with your hand or a fork.
6. Bake @ 175 Celsius till golden [about 10-12 mins.] 155 Celsius if your oven is on fan bake.

This is halfthe original recipe to make small family size batch. (approx 30 cookies).It came from an "old girls college" recipe collection type of book from the 1940's where it used half a lb of butter, 4 rounded cups flour,and made a huge batch.

cookessentials, Feb 16, 8:54am
Fabulous.can see it is a cake mixer by reading your post, sure does not sound like a juicer mixer LOL. We did have a great "Cakes" thread with some brilliant recipes. What about making a nice sponge! fill it with freshly whipped cream, strawberry jam and freshly sliced strawberries or apricot jam and cream.

cookessentials, Feb 16, 8:56am
Courtesy of the lovely Kinna

Classic “Fielders” Sponge Cake

3 eggs
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup Fielders maize cornflour
1 dsp flour
1 tsp baking powder
Separate eggs.
Beat the egg whites with salt until stiff.
Add sugar gradually whilst continuing beating, and beat until stiff and sugar has dissolved.
Add egg yolks and beat in until blended.
Sift together cornflour, flour and baking powder and fold into mixture.
Pour the mixture into 2 20cm greased and lined sandwich tins. *(sides lined as well.)*
Bake at 190deg for 15-20mins.

When removing from the oven hold the tins evenly at about calf height and drop them onto the floor.
(yes! This releases air and makes the sponge rise.)
When cold sandwich the 2 sponge halves together with raspberry jam and cream or jelly and cream.
Dust the top with sifted icing sugar.

Enjoy

kinna54 (215 )8:44 pm, Fri 27 Apr #6

cybertech, Feb 16, 9:36am
Now you're making me hungry.LOL

jcdm, Feb 16, 9:49am
Where did you bring it from!

olwen, Feb 16, 10:00am
Now, now stop teasing.She bought it from the shop and brought it home.

cybertech, Feb 16, 9:31pm
I came in here to look for advice and help. well I didnt know it was in the rules to make sure my spelling and comprehension were perfect.!

cookessentials, Feb 16, 9:34pm
take no notice, the poster that pulled you up more than once is one of the well known stirrers on the mb, although her own grammar and comprehension is sorely lacking. Just ignore it. Have you made the sponge yet!

cybertech, Feb 16, 10:34pm
Thanks cookingessentials, I have pulled the mixer out.LOL that's as far as it's got so far.sponge sounds good or I thought I might try a choccy cake or something.will let you know how it goes.

cookessentials, Feb 16, 10:39pm
Brilliant. The cakes thread we had was a goodie, but not sure how to find it now.

cookessentials, Feb 17, 12:18am
Try this one from the chocolate thread
MOIST CHOCOLATE CAKE

2 cups caster sugar
3 cups SR flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup cocoa
3 eggs separated
2 cups milk
2 tbsp malt vinegar
2 tbsp golden syrup
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups Canola oil
1 egg

Combine all dry ingredients. In a large bowl. Beat the 3 egg whites until stiff. In a separate bowl, combine milk and vinegar, then add the rest of the wet ingredients together, including the whole egg and 3 egg yolks, and beat. Mix wet and dry ingredients together, then fold in the beaten egg whites. Pour into two well greased or baking paper- lined tins about 20- 23 cm in diameter. Bake for 25-30 minutes in a moderate oven 180C. Cool on a wire rack. To serve, pile whipped cream on one cake, place the other cake on top and frost top with chocolate icing. Or you could fill with a nice creamy chocolate filling.
Chocolate Icing
25g butter
3 tablespoons cocoa
few drops vanilla essence
2 cups of icing sugar
milk to mix
Melt butter, stir in cocoa & essence. Add icing sugar and stir in enough milk to make spreading consistency. Beat well until smooth.

cybertech, Feb 17, 9:38am
Well I made a choccy cake today in my new mixer, only had it on speed 2 hate to think what speed number 6 is like, think it would take off.LOLI dont have a sweet tooth but hubby and son (19) seem to like it.might try a little piece tomorrow sometime.

just4jess, Feb 17, 7:40pm
I BOUGHT the same mixer a few weeks ago and love it already.I find especially biscuits come out really good, probably because the butter and sugar creams so well and you end of up with a lovely workable mixture.OP, like you, I often think that some posters here are more concerned with spelling and grammar than the actual post.Good luck with your mixer.

cookessentials, Feb 17, 8:45pm
Thats the problem with a belt driven machine. Glad the cake turned out though!

cookessentials, Feb 17, 8:46pm
Lucky you got the spelling right, you might have been jumped on by the spelling police LOL

liamjosh, Feb 17, 10:07pm
Will be interested to see what you think of the mixer.I am currently tossing up between the breville and the kenwood.Am going to use my fly buys.

sit1, Feb 18, 1:48am
Getting a new stand mixer is exciting. I recently got a kitchenaid mixer which I love. I think the Breville mixer is kind of based on the Kitchenaid. there are some good recipes over on http://www.kitchenaid.com.auin the recipes section. They explain which attachment and which speed to use which is handy when you are getting used to a new machine, You should also try making meringues or a pavlova using the whisk - then you can use that high speed setting - you will be amazed at how well the egg whites whisk on speed 10!

sit1, Feb 18, 1:49am
My sister recently got the Kenwood, I'm waiting to hear what she thinks of it!