Kitchen Aid Mixer - What do you do with yours???

diachris, Dec 22, 6:28pm
I am being very spoilt for xmas & Santas bringing my dream mixer.
But now that dream is getting close to a reality & I'm not sure what I'm actually going to do with it! (besides pretty ornament)
What things do you use with the different beaters?
Can you make bread with it?
What about scones?
Anything useful would be appreciated.

hazedaze, Dec 22, 7:21pm
It will possibly come with a few recipes in the instruction booklet! ?

magenta, Dec 22, 7:24pm
I use mine to make pavlova, ice cream and it is good at creaming butter and sugar for biscuits especially a double batch which can be hard to beat by hand.I have a couple of cake recipes which I got off here which involve chucking everything in a bowl and beating. You can make bread if it comes with a dough hook. I wouldnt make scones or muffins in it as beating makes them go tough.

shop-a-holic, Dec 22, 7:26pm
You lucky lucky lucky person! Welcome to the Club!!!!!!!!!!
Tell me....what colour will it be as that is the hardest choice in the world.

I recommend straight away, buying another bowl for your model on the likes of eBay.Two bowls has been invaluable, especially when recipes call for whipping up another ingredient to fold in to an already beaten mixture. You can also get on with something else using a spare bowl when the other is in the dishwasher.

I make my own bread (use the dough hook).
I make my own Pasta dough, then use the pasta attachments for kneading, rolling and cutting spaghetti, fettucini etc
I make my own ice cream using the Ice Cream Bowl attachment.
Have Mincer/Grinder attachment.
Shredder too.
Makes grating a block of cheese to bag and fridge, in the blink of an eye.

Sausage stuffer coming in my Xmas Stocking (fingers crossed).

The whisk attachment is sublime.
Paddle is heaven for creaming.

Enjoy your new KitchenAid slice of heaven.

maria121, Dec 22, 8:01pm
You will love it, they are fantastic!

I use mine for making bread, beating for cake mixes and frosting etc etc.

It's also very busy this time of the year making pavlovas.

cookessentials, Dec 22, 8:34pm
You will get a dvd with it and Jo will take you through all the attachments and what they are for, how to attach them and various recipes to make with them. You can do anything with a KitchenAid from mixing bread dough, to making pasta, ice cream, flaking grains, making sausages etc. It comes with the basic attachments such as the flat beater, wire whisk and the dough hook and you can then add various attachments as you want them.

moreorless, Dec 22, 9:41pm
Can anyone help...
I bake a lot, often double or triple batches cookie dough, do you think artisan would cope with that or should I be looking at the bigger model think its KSM150. Other alternative is bring in the 6quart from the States forget the model but much bigger bowl, do you think I would need this for what I am wanting it for. Shipping and landed cost is $1030.00 so artisan 300 watt or 500 watt and 6 quart for virtually the same price what do you think is the better choice.
I realise it has to have an adaptor and they do say motor will be slightly slower but not too noticeable. Slower on speed 5 & 6 but so I've been told you wouldnt often use those speeds.
Any thoughts would be great.
Kitchen aid looks great, I am wanting one too. Will have to save for one though.
Im glad this topic came up, have been wanting to ask someone about this for a while. To poster 1... enjoy your new shiney present, lucky girl :-)

moreorless, Dec 22, 9:46pm
Shop-a-holic, which Ebay - Australia for the extra bowls, or did you mean the USA.
I heard the States attachments are slightly different. I was told by Kitchenaid here that the USA icecream attachment will not work on NZ machines, as they are slightly different. Such a shame as their prices are so much better than here.

Shop-a-holic can you help out with my questions above, if you could that be great.
thanks

motgirl, Dec 23, 12:21am
I was lucky enough to get a Kitchen Aid this year- a gorgeous red one!The best attachment I have bought for it is a Beaterblade,
http://www.beaterblade.com/
This scraps the side of the bowl while you are beating so you don't have to stop all the time.

shop-a-holic, Dec 23, 1:53am
I did buy my icecream bowl, dasher and drive assembly from the US for $60NZ landed here. It's nearly $300NZ here. You are correct the dasher and drive assembly is different, but I only ordered the parts I needed. Part numbers are: Drive Assembly A9709419 and Dasher A9709415. They have to be ordered by an agent in NZ who sells them. eg: Milly's; Kirkcaldis and Staines; The Homestore etc. Cost $NZ109.

A new shipment of these additional parts is coming in Jan 2011 sometime. Phone on 0800 881 200 to order and liaise with a store near you.Kirks will probably deliver. Kitchen store manager: Ara on 04 472 5899.I know the Homestore send out couriers too.

I know alot of people are having problems with the dasher and drive assemblies. This is due to the capped ring on the Kitchenaid drive shaft fitted on UK, Euro, Singapore, Australia and NZ machines. This was due to the respected countries Health and Safety reasons. In the US....they do not have caps (just below your spring) on the shaft.

Hope this helps. Merry Xmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shop-a-holic, Dec 23, 2:00am
"Other alternative is bring in the 6quart from the States forget the model but much bigger bowl, do you think I would need this for what I am wanting it for. Shipping and landed cost is $1030.00 so artisan 300 watt or 500 watt and 6 quart for virtually the same price what do you think is the better choice.
I realise it has to have an adaptor and they do say motor will be slightly slower but not too noticeable. Slower on speed 5 & 6 but so I've been told you wouldnt often use those speeds.
Any thoughts would be great. "

This is just my opinion. I would personally buy your kitchenaid here in NZ. That way you are covered by the authorised agent selling it and be covered in Warranty.:-)

Artisan Models should have a 325w motor.

shop-a-holic, Dec 23, 2:06am
You doll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the heads up. Have sent it to hubby for my New Years Eve pressie list.

motgirl, Dec 23, 6:56am
Here is the website for the Australasian distributor.
http://www.fullybaked.com.au/

diachris, Dec 23, 7:16am
Thanks for all the great responces, I take it kitchen-aids are pretty popular!Yes choosing the colour was a dilema, candy apple red was my 1st choice but it was to expensive.So I've got a boysenberry one, its a purpley colour.I went to a demonstration months ago & laybyed one that day, as you got a free extra bowl with it.It came from little local shop, so they were happy for it to payed/picked up closer to Xmas.I hope there is a dvd in there, have to wait till Sat till I can open, ahh!
I'll want attachments asap no-doubt, for the price you should get more!But I got suckered in by all the pretty colours, haha.

moreorless, Dec 23, 8:08am
Thanks shop-a-holic, do you have the artisan or bigger one. I am not sure what a dasher and drive assembly is. I presume drive assembly is the actual machine sorry to sound duhh, please let me knpw but its interesting what you know, great information, I shall keep it on hand.

What machine do you have from the states, who did you order it through??$109 gave you exactly what... was that the whole cost, or was that the shipping cost, or product cost or all of the above.
I would love to know as I am going to order one, I really do think the 6 quart bowl is the way to go.
Shop-a-holic if you love to cook check out the blog Pioneer woman cooks, fabulous she often gives Kitchenaids away as prizes. Amazing woman.
Look forward to hearing back from you.
Im particularly interested in what model you have, what motor etc...
Such a great product isnt it.
Thanks for the heads up about the little problem they are having, I understand no warranty once it goes outside the US. But maybe with you ordering through a store it would be different.
I spoke to NZ agent Auckland and they were not interested in bringing anything in from the States for me. As I said 6 quart for the amount of baking I do - triple batch I think is going to work best.

Beater blade, I understand they took it off the market, a tip, the reason I'm told is people were putting them in the dishwasher and it was ruining the rubber so there were many complaints. It did look great though.
Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

shop-a-holic, Dec 23, 9:29am
NOT TRUE

The Aust and NewZ distributor is petermcinness.
http://www.petermcinnes.com.au

shop-a-holic, Dec 23, 9:35am
The Free extra bowl is worth every penny, every time...you either pick it up from the dish drawer; cupboard; sink or any other time, others wished they had an extra bowl.Go girl!

shop-a-holic, Dec 23, 9:41am
For moreor less: "I am not sure what a dasher and drive assembly is. I presume drive assembly is the actual machine sorry to sound duhh, please let me know, its interesting the info you shared, great information, I shall keep it on hand, thank you."

I was referring to your earlier post regarding the Ice Cream Maker bowl. The dasher is the paddle and the drive assembly is the part you mount onto the Drive Shaft. :-)

moreorless, Dec 23, 9:15pm
Thanks shop-a-holic, yes I think my heart is set your right, will keep the number and ring in the new year.
Many thanks for your reply, have a lovely Christmas.

seniorbones, Dec 24, 1:38am
one of these comes with it!

cookessentials, Dec 24, 3:50am
I would be very careful if this attachment is not a kitchenAid product as it may negate your warranty...might pay to check with the distributors in New Zealand before purchasing.

diachris, Dec 16, 1:06pm
I love my kitchen aid!All my reservations have disappeared.
(i think i had them because of cost)
Watched the dvd last night, which was very helpful.
And have just made a double batch size lemon yogurt cake, it was with 4 cups flour, which I think is it's full capasity for that bowl size.
I know it wasn't the best cake to test it with as there isn't any creaming or egg white whisking, but I'm making it for a birthday tomorrow & that was the cake they want.
Can't wait to try more things with it.