New kitchen help... (asked in parenting too!)

Page 1 / 2
djv, Feb 26, 3:37am
Has anyone recently put in a new kitchen! We are building and went to meet with kitchen place yesterday who just totally confused me. Does anyone have any ideas or photos of what they have done! Thinking about negative detail handles, waterfall ends and stone tops, but felt like kitchen place tried to talk me around to what she liked and what I didn't. I would love any ideas of what you love or don't! Thanks

djv, Feb 26, 3:37am
Has anyone recently put in a new kitchen? We are building and went to meet with kitchen place yesterday who just totally confused me. Does anyone have any ideas or photos of what they have done? Thinking about negative detail handles, waterfall ends and stone tops, but felt like kitchen place tried to talk me around to what she liked and what I didn't. I would love any ideas of what you love or don't? Thanks

maysept, Feb 26, 3:46am
If you cook a lot, always have more storage and power pointsthan you think you'll need. The best thing we did was have an extra set of cupboards with a benchtop. I keep my breadmaker, slow cooker and Kenwood on top,( I have 3 double plug outlets along the bench top)and my other appliances in the cupboards underneath. That way I'm not having to take heavy appliances in and out of cupboards all the time because I need the bench space. Also an over the sink chopping board and the 'turn around' corner cupboard shelves (can't think what they're called!) are great too!

maysept, Feb 26, 3:46am
If you cook a lot, always have more storage and power pointsthan you think you'll need. The best thing we did was have an extra set of cupboards with a benchtop. I keep my breadmaker, slow cooker and Kenwood on top,( I have 3 double plug outlets along the bench top)and my other appliances in the cupboards underneath. That way I'm not having to take heavy appliances in and out of cupboards all the time because I need the bench space. Also an over the sink chopping board and the 'turn around' corner cupboard shelves (can't think what they're called!) are great too!

chooky, Feb 26, 4:23am
I got talked into a double oven (by my sister) so we went ahead and got one, wow I pleased I did, big oven is excellent for baking or cooking big meals, but I must admit I use my small oven all the time, scones in the weekend, potatoe bake. Anything that is only one item gets cooked in the small oven.Plus I wanted a rubbish bin cupboard, open the door and two rubbish bin come out, I use one for rubbish and one for burnables. Saves having a rubbish binsitting in the corner somewhere.I have all my crockery in draws, which I love. We only have a very small kitchen in an old villa, so have made use of every inch. End of bench we have a opening where the toaster and jug sit. Cupboards I can excess from kitchen or dinnimg room side. I even have the orginal safe which I use to store all my pet food.I love my new kitchen and Im sure you will love yours. Just keep in mind its yours, and its alot of money if you dont like it.

duckmoon, Feb 26, 6:56am
work out what you are planning to put in what cupboard/draw.

you should store things in either (a) the first place they are going to be used or (b) the last place they will be used.

example: dinner plates next to the table (first place they are used) or dinner tables next to the dishwash (last place they are used [moved], and then put away)

duckmoon, Feb 26, 6:56am
work out what you are planning to put in what cupboard/draw...

you should store things in either (a) the first place they are going to be used or (b) the last place they will be used...

example: dinner plates next to the table (first place they are used) or dinner tables next to the dishwash (last place they are used [moved], and then put away)

djv, Feb 26, 7:00am
thanks, I have (or I should say had) firm idea of what I wanted and liked and felt like everything I said the kitchen lady said "oh no you don't wan't that.!" Going to meet with a new kitchen place next week, see what they say. Like someone said it is a lot of money and I don't want to be pressured into something I don't want or like. Its bloody hard this building business!

djv, Feb 26, 7:00am
thanks, I have (or I should say had) firm idea of what I wanted and liked and felt like everything I said the kitchen lady said "oh no you don't wan't that....!" Going to meet with a new kitchen place next week, see what they say. Like someone said it is a lot of money and I don't want to be pressured into something I don't want or like. Its bloody hard this building business!

beaker59, Feb 26, 7:22am
Shop around heaps that way you get ideas and form an idea of what you need or is possible. Took me many agonising months until I found a woman in our local placemakers who just read me and the available space and put it all together I wanted a big pantry and just couldn't fit it in anywhere that worked it was her idea to forget the big one and go for 4 small ones which moulded around the area that caused the issue giving me twice what I origonally hoped for. Only have 1 thing want to change which is minor. Go for gas hob for sure, mine is on a 9Kg bottle and is fantastic.

beaker59, Feb 26, 7:22am
Shop around heaps that way you get ideas and form an idea of what you need or is possible. Took me many agonising months until I found a woman in our local placemakers who just read me and the available space and put it all together I wanted a big pantry and just couldn't fit it in anywhere that worked it was her idea to forget the big one and go for 4 small ones which moulded around the area that caused the issue giving me twice what I origonally hoped for. Only have 1 thing want to change which is minor. Go for gas hob for sure, mine is on a 9Kg bottle and is fantastic.

elliehen, Feb 26, 7:56am
The best pantry I've used is one (could have more) tall narrow pull-out door with attached stainless steel basket racks.You can see everything from both sides, instantly able to reach for cans, packets, jars etc from top to bottom - great light, no dust and not even a shelf to wipe :)

elliehen, Feb 26, 7:56am
The best pantry I've used is one (could have more) tall narrow pull-out door with attached stainless steel basket racks.You can see everything from both sides, instantly able to reach for cans, packets, jars etc from top to bottom - great light, no dust and not even a shelf to wipe :)

pickles7, Feb 26, 10:02am
My next kitchen is going to have a front loader washing machine, I will do away with the laundry and put that space into a room for extra pantry goods and all of my equipment would be out on open shelves. I am well done with looking for gadgets. We have an outside tub in the garden if need be. I have not used either tub for 6 years,the drier is in the garage.

nfh1, Feb 26, 10:09am
I know how you feel, there are so many alternatives.The one thing I would not be without is my double oven - it is mounted high so no bending down to get hot heavy items out.You can peep in through the glass door - it is fantastic!Gives you a separate grill as I hate those ovens with a grill in the top - so dangerous with a great big door open.

Definitely put in twice as many power points as you think you will need.Do not rush and see a couple of different planners.Have fun.

kiwibubbles, Feb 26, 7:27pm
we went through this last year - be firm with what you want - if you like something then tell them. Don't let them push you into doing something you don't want.

kiwibubbles, Feb 26, 7:27pm
we went through this last year - be firm with what you want - if you like something then tell them. Don't let them push you into doing something you don't want.

kiwibubbles, Feb 26, 7:28pm
do a google for kitchens online - kitchen pictures and see if there is anything you like then make a note of it.

bedazzledjewels, Feb 26, 7:46pm
You can never have too many drawers!

carter19, Feb 27, 12:00am
I have 2 huge pantries, 1 small one, a fridge, oven, microwaveand 2 overhead cupboards on one wall. a bench with 12 big draws on another and a cental island for sink, cutlery and a cocuiple of cupboards and the bins.I love my draws soooooo much. They save so much bending and rooting around.

bisloy, Feb 27, 8:25pm
I got rid of the inside laundry in my house plans and turned it into a big walk-in pantry with big deep benches and power points and lots of shelving. I also pu on a sliding door - with a hight lock to keep the kids out. This seems to be the envy of many and I love it. The only thing I would have done different is to have draws for my crockery and glasses. The cupboards are nice and deep, but hard to reach into the back of. Think hard about how you cook and use your kitchen - where does everyone dump stuff! Can you stop them doing it through the design or do you have to allow for that too! Where does everyone make breakfast/their snacks and does it get in your way when you are trying to cook! Good luck, it's exciting being able to start from scratch.

bisloy, Feb 27, 8:25pm
I got rid of the inside laundry in my house plans and turned it into a big walk-in pantry with big deep benches and power points and lots of shelving. I also pu on a sliding door - with a hight lock to keep the kids out. This seems to be the envy of many and I love it. The only thing I would have done different is to have draws for my crockery and glasses. The cupboards are nice and deep, but hard to reach into the back of. Think hard about how you cook and use your kitchen - where does everyone dump stuff? Can you stop them doing it through the design or do you have to allow for that too? Where does everyone make breakfast/their snacks and does it get in your way when you are trying to cook? Good luck, it's exciting being able to start from scratch.

cgvl, Feb 27, 8:30pm
dont let them talk yopu into putting your microwave under the bench.
1) if you have young children or grandies its too easily accessable, and kiddies love to play with the buttons.
2) it requires you to bend and you cant easily see into it unless you are a midget. Its just not practical.
The oven if you can afford a wall oven go for a double one, especially if youlove cooking, so much more versitile.
Dont go for the under bench one as the require again a lot of bending, hard on back, easy for the kiddies to toch when is on etc.
The wall oven is generally at the right height so not having to lift heavy hot dishes up to bench height, wish we had got one when I had to replace our old oven.
Draws and power point lots of them, thinnk of a number for the power points the add at least 2 extra double ones. we have besides the 2 on the stove 3 other doubles and I could do with at least another 1-2.

macandrosie, Mar 3, 9:36am
Maybe you need to start with the kitchen you've got & decide what you do & don't like about it. There'll be some things that you would find handy & other features that are annoying, Sometimes going on a home renovators tour can give you some good ideas. Ask friends or family who have put in a new kitchen. Think of the needs of your family, who will use the kitchen, what you always wish you had & so on! I finally got my new kitchen after 30 years of having an oldaltered farm kitchen, & you know the annoying thing is there's still things I'd do differently! The biggest problem is there is so much choice out there! You could have hundreds of designs that would fit your kithcen space! That's the frustrating thing! I decided I wanted big pull out drawers for my crockery & pots & baking dishes. I would have loved a big pantry cupboard but we didn't have the wall space. Because we all have so many large appliances today, you can never have enough cupboards, don't skimp there! Good luck!

samiamnz, Mar 3, 11:13pm
Hiyawe did our last year it was part of a reno so it meant that our kitchen when from being a ccorner L shape to a galley (down both sides).So I suppose start with the shape of your space and write down a wish list.Think about a style you would like eg retro/modern/classic etc.We have a bungalow, with the kitchen being quite visable from lounge and dinning.I wanted something that would not date to quickly so went for a white kitchen with textured stainless steel benchtops.The cupboards to have a insert detail, and I have stainless steel handles and appliances.Think about what sort of cook you are, the one mistake I made was only getting a....