What is your oldest working kitchen appliance?

Page 1 / 4
eastie3, May 11, 12:09am
I was talking about this with my SIL last night,she still has her mother's Kenwood mixer from the 60's.
Mine is my Panasonic Genius microwave which despite my kid's best efforts to destroy it over the years by cooking baked beans(in a pot) and repeatedly slamming the door is still going strong.The light went a few years ago and it's enormous compared to the present day models,but I love it.It has heaps of programmes although I don't really use most of them.Apart from the fact that it works perfectly,I get mocked for having such an antique sitting on top of the fridge.From memory I bought it about 30yrs ago.
I also have an original Crockpot,a 28yo electric frying pan - again hardly ever used nowadays,and two copper bottomed saucepans from a set bought around the same time.I imagine many of you could beat this list.Dad's beer fridge,Leonard brand,was bought new when they married in 1951 and lasted for 38yrs.

fifie, May 11, 1:40am
A ralta crockpot which is 30 yrs old still going strong, i bought a new slow cooker but its not a match on the old one. My kenwood mixer which was 45 years old with many hours of use has not long died, that would have to be the best appliance i have ever owned...

lilyfield, May 11, 1:45am
my chefs knife, given to me when I started my apprenticeship in 1954. Used daily since.

purplegoanna, May 11, 1:45am
IVE GOT MUMS ELECTRIC MIXER ITS A SUNBEAM MIXMASTER FROM WHEN SHE FIRST LEFT HOME...MOTHERINLAW WHOS IN HER 70'S HAS HER MUMS MESH PIE DISHES (IVE NEVER SEEN THEM ANYWHERE BEFORE OR CAN FIND THEM ON THE NET)

kay141, May 11, 1:47am
I had to replace my Panasonic Genius just last year as the old one died. I have utensils which were wedding presents over 50 years ago and some cutlery which was mine as a child. Other than that, the oldest thing working in my kitchen is me.

kuaka, May 11, 1:54am
me!Actually, it's my rolling pin, which my grandmother gave me when I was 10, and she told me it was hand blown (it's glass) by her great-great grandfather for his bride.

andrew499, May 11, 2:19am
Mine would have to be my Kenwood Chef from the late 70's or early 80's.Also have an ancient green enamel electric jug which still works perfectly on the odd occasion i have cause to use it.however, my oldest piece of kitchen equipment would have to be my paternal grandmothers aluminium double boiler she purchased just before the outbreak of world war two.It's not pitted, so I still use it occasionally.
Cheers

mike92, May 11, 2:21am
Another kenwood chef mixer here. It's been rebuilt by Dh a couple of times, but still chugs along like a loud train on the bench.

camper18, May 11, 2:40am
My Kenwood and my largeSunbeam electric frypan (bought back from Hong Kong 50yrs ago).Both still going strong and used constantly

eastie3, May 11, 2:44am
Me tookuaka !

I use an old milk bottle as a rolling pin and have done ever since Mr E 'borrowed' my actual rolling pin to use for god knows what in the garage.It was munted when I finally tracked it down after he insisted he hadn't taken it, and looked blankly at me when it was brandished,forcefully,at him.That must be 20plus years ago.

djpablonz, May 11, 2:47am
My oldest working appliance has to be my Kenwood Chef A701 that I inherited from my mother. Late 60's early 70's model. I remember my mother using it in my childhood. I love it and use it at least once per week. Still looking for attachments that i don't have to add to it. I also have a very early 1980's National Microwave - still going too.

deus701, May 11, 3:34am
a convection microwave from the 80s. The lights gone now but the heating power is amazing, better than newer microwaves of today. And takes less time to heat up food....but cost a bomb when first bought.

wildflower, May 11, 3:45am
Yep ditto to the Kenwood mixer.It was my mum's from the 70's.A lot of the stuff I'm still using were mum and dads after they got married and she's gone so I use it now.

buzzy110, May 11, 3:46am
My husband.

deus701, May 11, 4:16am
lol ..wonder if there's any future upgrades.

nauru, May 11, 4:37am
Mine are my Kenwood Chef with all the attachments.Owned by my MIL first and passed on to me in the 70's.It still works as well nowadays as when my MIL first bought it when they first came onto the market. My Prestige pressure cooker given to us as a Wedding present over 40 years ago and I also have a juicer which is around 30 years old and still going strong.

nzhel, May 11, 4:40am
My Sunbeam crockpot is over 30 years old and still going strong. We also had a Rata electric frypan that we were given as a wedding present - 40 yrs ago this year. It was still going well until moving to Melbourne where one of its legs was badly broken off in the move. Very sad as it was a good one! I still use my handheld electric beater often too which is also 40 yrs old.

duckmoon, May 11, 4:41am
I have a kenwood which comes from the 1960's and still going strong...

kinna54, May 11, 5:02am
my mums old mincer. I remember her using it to mince up the cold left over meat to make rissoles when I was only a wee girl.
My oldest appliance used almost daily was my sunbeam whizz, it broke just the other week, the piece on the bowl was just brittle with age. (bit like me lol)

kay141, May 11, 5:06am
After reading all these posts, I'm willing to bet that no appliance bought today will last anywhere near as long. Built in obsolence will take care of that and the companies don't make money when products last for 30 or 40 years.

kabbo, May 11, 5:13am
this is so true.

luckyduck, May 11, 5:24am
Mixer from the kenwood chefette range. Approx 27 years old.

djpablonz, May 11, 5:26am
The items that last were considered "investment" items and cost a lot of money. They were built to last because nobody was expected to go out and "replace" them. Today we live in a cheap, throw away society, items are poorly made with no forward planning other than greed and disrespect for the planet. There is no point in repairing these items as the parts are (for some strange reason) usually more expensive than the entire unit. So they end up as landfill.

joaopnz, May 11, 5:34am
Would have to be my wife.. She is from the 50's.. But still hanging in there.... Well, quite a lot is hanging actually!!!

eastie3, May 11, 5:38am
Brave,stupid,man...