What is your oldest working kitchen appliance?

Page 2 / 4
valentino, May 11, 5:43am
Rolling Pin (both S/S and the old milk bottle), saucepan and frypan.
Also very close to similar age next be roasting dishes (S/S), serving trays (circular) and a runner bean splitter/slicer tool.

rainrain1, May 11, 6:05am
A very old small pancake size green heavy frypan, I don't know what they were made of.....with a spotty kind of finish,it's a favourite of mine, you could kill someone with it

jody23, May 11, 6:18am
ours in our slow cooker, it belonged to my partners granny and is from the 60s i think.. way better than our new breville one that cracked the 2nd time we used it

kabre, May 11, 6:25am
My HARPER brand hand mincer have had for 40 years and was my grandmothers. Minces so much better than the new ones also love my old enamel roasting dish with lid I can not manage to spoil any meat cooking in this, it is a pale beige colour with green trim.

greerg, May 11, 7:29am
My Swiftwhip egg beater which was Mum's - 65 years old and a Mason Cash bowl of my grandmother's - 70+ I think.

kay141, May 11, 7:36am
I think cast iron with an enamel finish. My mother had the same pots and pan. They are great until the inside chips and then everything seems to catch.

anne1955, May 11, 8:39am
I have my 87 year old Aunt's Mother's heavy mincer..and a couple of other old bit from her as well.Apart from that I think I am at least in my kitchen :) being a person living alone :)

sampa, May 11, 9:58am
That's really lovely, a heirloom piece with history attached.

kuaka, May 11, 10:18am
yes, I'd love to be able to put a date on it, but I don't know which great-great grandfather my gran was referring to - she died about 35 years ago so I guess I would need to dig back through the family history to find out who the glass blower was.

juliewn, May 11, 12:48pm
A Kenwood mixer here too.. from the frequent comments about them in this thread, they're clearly well-made and long-lasting machines.. that are much appreciated..

And after trying a number of other options, a 1 pint glass milk bottle is my rolling 'pin' of choice too.. in fact when I've seen one at a market or similar, I've usually purchased it, so I won't be without one in the future..

helsbelsnz, May 11, 7:41pm
Not appliances, but I've been lucky enough to "inherit" my Mother in laws wonderful heavy cast iron frypans (she can't lift them anymore), and also her mothers preserving pan.She got that when she was married, so it must be 75 years old.

I also have a nutcracker that was a wedding gift to my grandparents and other dishes and bits and pieces from the family.They are all such good quality and it's very special to be able to use these things daily =)

glenleigh, May 11, 7:52pm
My late mothers cake mixer, a Westinghouse bought in 1957.At the time she purchased a deep fryer, same brand which one of my brothers has.It too still works.

pickles7, May 11, 8:05pm
Kenwood mixer here, as far as electrics go. My Mothers rolling pin, and her very heavy preserving pan, that has never been, burned. It is one of four I have, it is the first one I reach for.

creeky1, May 11, 11:18pm
my mum's sunbeam mixer from the 70's, still goes though struggles a little. and my grand mothers sunbeam hand heldmixer from the 50's was still making pavs with it 12 months ago. Was getting the electrcal smell and didn't want to risk it blowing up. They are both going to be displayed in my kitchen much to hubby's horror, too much family memories to chuck out.

eastie3, May 12, 12:09am
I was talking about this with my SIL last night,she still has her mother's Kenwood mixer from the 60's.
Mine is my Panasonic Genius microwave which despite my kid's best efforts to destroy it over the years by cooking baked beans(in a pot) and repeatedly slamming the door is still going strong.The light went a few years ago and it's enormous compared to the present day models,but I love it.It has heaps of programmes although I don't really use most of them.Apart from the fact that it works perfectly,I get mocked for having such an antique sitting on top of the fridge.From memory I bought it about 30yrs ago.
I also have an original Crockpot,a 28yo electric frying pan - again hardly ever used nowadays,and two copper bottomed saucepans from a set bought around the same time.I imagine many of you could beat this list.Dad's beer fridge,Leonard brand,was bought new when they married in 1951 and lasted for 38yrs.

fifie, May 12, 1:40am
A ralta crockpot which is 30 yrs old still going strong, i bought a new slow cooker but its not a match on the old one. My kenwood mixer which was 45 years old with many hours of use has not long died, that would have to be the best appliance i have ever owned.

purplegoanna, May 12, 1:45am
IVE GOT MUMS ELECTRIC MIXER ITS A SUNBEAM MIXMASTER FROM WHEN SHE FIRST LEFT HOME.MOTHERINLAW WHOS IN HER 70'S HAS HER MUMS MESH PIE DISHES (IVE NEVER SEEN THEM ANYWHERE BEFORE OR CAN FIND THEM ON THE NET)

kuaka, May 12, 1:54am
me!Actually, it's my rolling pin, which my grandmother gave me when I was 10, and she told me it was hand blown (it's glass) by her great-great grandfather for his bride.

andrew499, May 12, 2:19am
Mine would have to be my Kenwood Chef from the late 70's or early 80's.Also have an ancient green enamel electric jug which still works perfectly on the odd occasion i have cause to use it.however, my oldest piece of kitchen equipment would have to be my paternal grandmothers aluminium double boiler she purchased just before the outbreak of world war two.It's not pitted, so I still use it occasionally.
Cheers

mike92, May 12, 2:21am
Another kenwood chef mixer here. It's been rebuilt by Dh a couple of times, but still chugs along like a loud train on the bench.

eastie3, May 12, 2:44am
Me tookuaka !

I use an old milk bottle as a rolling pin and have done ever since Mr E 'borrowed' my actual rolling pin to use for god knows what in the garage.It was munted when I finally tracked it down after he insisted he hadn't taken it, and looked blankly at me when it was brandished,forcefully,at him.That must be 20plus years ago.

djpablonz, May 12, 2:47am
My oldest working appliance has to be my Kenwood Chef A701 that I inherited from my mother. Late 60's early 70's model. I remember my mother using it in my childhood. I love it and use it at least once per week. Still looking for attachments that i don't have to add to it. I also have a very early 1980's National Microwave - still going too.

lizab, May 12, 3:04am
I have my mother in law's old Kenwood Chef mixer (she bought herself a new one as the old one will only go slow or fast and nothing in between!) She was going to give it to the op shop, but I begged her for it. I've always wanted one and it's great - I don't mind the speed problem!! :)

purplegoanna, May 12, 3:06am
seems like sunbeam and kenwood are the brands that lasted the distance......

deus701, May 12, 3:34am
a convection microwave from the 80s. The lights gone now but the heating power is amazing, better than newer microwaves of today. And takes less time to heat up food.but cost a bomb when first bought.