What is your oldest working kitchen appliance?

Page 3 / 4
wildflower, May 12, 3:45am
Yep ditto to the Kenwood mixer.It was my mum's from the 70's.A lot of the stuff I'm still using were mum and dads after they got married and she's gone so I use it now.

deus701, May 12, 4:16am
lol .wonder if there's any future upgrades.

nauru, May 12, 4:37am
Mine are my Kenwood Chef with all the attachments.Owned by my MIL first and passed on to me in the 70's.It still works as well nowadays as when my MIL first bought it when they first came onto the market. My Prestige pressure cooker given to us as a Wedding present over 40 years ago and I also have a juicer which is around 30 years old and still going strong.

duckmoon, May 12, 4:41am
I have a kenwood which comes from the 1960's and still going strong.

kay141, May 12, 5:06am
After reading all these posts, I'm willing to bet that no appliance bought today will last anywhere near as long. Built in obsolence will take care of that and the companies don't make money when products last for 30 or 40 years.

joaopnz, May 12, 5:34am
Would have to be my wife. She is from the 50's. But still hanging in there. Well, quite a lot is hanging actually!

norse_westie, May 12, 5:36am
My egg beater is more than 30 years old and still going strong. I wish it would die so I can get a Kenwood stand alone cake mixer. Sigh.

eastie3, May 12, 5:38am
Brave,stupid,man.

bedazzledjewels, May 12, 5:49am
Go the Kenwood Chef.

rainrain1, May 12, 6:05am
A very old small pancake size green heavy frypan, I don't know what they were made of.with a spotty kind of finish,it's a favourite of mine, you could kill someone with it

jody23, May 12, 6:18am
ours in our slow cooker, it belonged to my partners granny and is from the 60s i think. way better than our new breville one that cracked the 2nd time we used it

greerg, May 12, 7:29am
My Swiftwhip egg beater which was Mum's - 65 years old and a Mason Cash bowl of my grandmother's - 70+ I think.

anne1955, May 12, 8:39am
I have my 87 year old Aunt's Mother's heavy mincer.and a couple of other old bit from her as well.Apart from that I think I am at least in my kitchen :) being a person living alone :)

sampa, May 12, 9:58am
That's really lovely, a heirloom piece with history attached.

kuaka, May 12, 10:18am
yes, I'd love to be able to put a date on it, but I don't know which great-great grandfather my gran was referring to - she died about 35 years ago so I guess I would need to dig back through the family history to find out who the glass blower was.

juliewn, May 12, 12:48pm
A Kenwood mixer here too. from the frequent comments about them in this thread, they're clearly well-made and long-lasting machines. that are much appreciated.

And after trying a number of other options, a 1 pint glass milk bottle is my rolling 'pin' of choice too. in fact when I've seen one at a market or similar, I've usually purchased it, so I won't be without one in the future.

helsbelsnz, May 12, 7:41pm
Not appliances, but I've been lucky enough to "inherit" my Mother in laws wonderful heavy cast iron frypans (she can't lift them anymore), and also her mothers preserving pan.She got that when she was married, so it must be 75 years old.

I also have a nutcracker that was a wedding gift to my grandparents and other dishes and bits and pieces from the family.They are all such good quality and it's very special to be able to use these things daily =)

rainrain1, May 12, 10:36pm
mine came with a box of goodies from an aucion sale.Gawd knows how old it is, but it's a little beauty and I use it often

creeky1, May 12, 11:18pm
my mum's sunbeam mixer from the 70's, still goes though struggles a little. and my grand mothers sunbeam hand heldmixer from the 50's was still making pavs with it 12 months ago. Was getting the electrcal smell and didn't want to risk it blowing up. They are both going to be displayed in my kitchen much to hubby's horror, too much family memories to chuck out.

spongeypud, May 12, 11:29pm
I oldest thing I own is my 32 year old stove, and it's still working well!

rover48, May 12, 11:52pm
Mine as well, I have my Mother's rolling pin from 1945 which was a wedding present from my Grandmother to her. It is cracked and worn but I havent the heart to throw it away. It is one of many kitchen treasures I bought back home when I cleared her home out, and I can't throw them away...Hench my basement is full!!!

kiwiscrapper1, May 13, 12:09am
ME!!..although I have just thrown out my grater which was a kitchen tea pressie, 40 years old. But my newest appliance which I adore is my kitchenaid mixer, and have also just bought a mezza grinder to compliment my coffee machine so I am a real gadget person, tempted to get a bread maker but I dont eat a lot of bread so thought it would be pointless - although it would feed the chooks!

rover48, May 13, 2:00am
How about Recipe Books - I have my husbands late GrandMothers books from Scotland and they just say with all the baking/cooking - put in range till done etc, no times or temps imagine the beginning cooks way back then, but I guess they grew up watching and helping their Mothers...

nfh1, May 13, 2:05am
LOL - she said a similar thing about you, yesterday!

accroul, May 13, 2:23am
Does a stove count? we've been in the house 13 years & the stove was here before us. Certainly wouldn't be the vaccumn cleaner- I was doing the vaccumning before & wondering why it wasn't sucking very well - turned around to find that the hose had a big split in it - only about 2cm of pipe holding it together.