What is your oldest working kitchen appliance?

Page 4 / 4
lizab, May 13, 3:04am
I have my mother in law's old Kenwood Chef mixer (she bought herself a new one as the old one will only go slow or fast and nothing in between!) She was going to give it to the op shop, but I begged her for it. I've always wanted one and it's great - I don't mind the speed problem! :)

purplegoanna, May 13, 3:06am
seems like sunbeam and kenwood are the brands that lasted the distance.

rainrain1, May 13, 10:36pm
mine came with a box of goodies from an aucion sale.Gawd knows how old it is, but it's a little beauty and I use it often

spongeypud, May 13, 11:29pm
I oldest thing I own is my 32 year old stove, and it's still working well!

rover48, May 13, 11:52pm
Mine as well, I have my Mother's rolling pin from 1945 which was a wedding present from my Grandmother to her. It is cracked and worn but I havent the heart to throw it away. It is one of many kitchen treasures I bought back home when I cleared her home out, and I can't throw them away.Hench my basement is full!

kiwiscrapper1, May 14, 12:09am
ME!.although I have just thrown out my grater which was a kitchen tea pressie, 40 years old. But my newest appliance which I adore is my kitchenaid mixer, and have also just bought a mezza grinder to compliment my coffee machine so I am a real gadget person, tempted to get a bread maker but I dont eat a lot of bread so thought it would be pointless - although it would feed the chooks!.oh and I still have my original rolling pin 40 years old too.

eastie3, May 14, 12:10am
I have many cook books dating from the 70's which I still use frequently.Most treasured is a handwritten book from when Mum was married in 1951 that her mother, sisters and aunts had all contributed to.I think it was a kitchen tea present.It is splattered with grease and batter stains and some of the words are blotchy.It has plenty of references to teacups and breakfast cups,and not much to the method ''bake in the usual way'' sort of thing.I will pass it onto one of my children if they are interested.

Also,it's not an appliance but my SIL mentioned a hessian peg bag/apron that one of her sisters inherited from her MIL.It must have been 50yrs old by the time she got it.It has been kept as a sentimental keepsake rather than used.Who else remembers these? I have a dim memory of embroidering in chainstitch on something hessian-like in home ec when I was about 11yo.

eljayv, May 14, 12:15am
I have a glass rolling pin too it was given to me it has a large cork in one end so you can put iced water or ice cubes in it to keep pastry cool.Never used that feature tho'

rover48, May 14, 2:00am
How about Recipe Books - I have my husbands late GrandMothers books from Scotland and they just say with all the baking/cooking - put in range till done etc, no times or temps imagine the beginning cooks way back then, but I guess they grew up watching and helping their Mothers.

accroul, May 14, 2:23am
Does a stove count! we've been in the house 13 years & the stove was here before us. Certainly wouldn't be the vaccumn cleaner- I was doing the vaccumning before & wondering why it wasn't sucking very well - turned around to find that the hose had a big split in it - only about 2cm of pipe holding it together.

kinna54, May 14, 4:24am
eastie and kuaka I have my nan's old rolling pin too! Only has one handle and a dent in the side, but I won't part with it. Also have her gem irons, which are much sought after, and sadly I don't use them too often these days as I struggle with the weight of them with my crook hands, but Iwont part with either.

eastie3, May 15, 12:10am
I have many cook books dating from the 70's which I still use frequently.Most treasured is a handwritten book from when Mum was married in 1951 that her mother, sisters and aunts had all contributed to.I think it was a kitchen tea present.It is splattered with grease and batter stains and some of the words are blotchy.It has plenty of references to teacups and breakfast cups,and not much to the method ''bake in the usual way'' sort of thing.I will pass it onto one of my children if they are interested.

Also,it's not an appliance but my SIL mentioned a hessian peg bag/apron that one of her sisters inherited from her MIL.It must have been 50yrs old by the time she got it.It has been kept as a sentimental keepsake rather than used.Who else remembers these! I have a dim memory of embroidering in chainstitch on something hessian-like in home ec when I was about 11yo.

eljayv, May 15, 12:15am
I have a glass rolling pin too it was given to me it has a large cork in one end so you can put iced water or ice cubes in it to keep pastry cool.Never used that feature tho'

kinna54, May 15, 4:24am
eastie and kuaka I have my nan's old rolling pin too! Only has one handle and a dent in the side, but I won't part with it. Also have her gem irons, which are much sought after, and sadly I don't use them too often these days as I struggle with the weight of them with my crook hands, but Iwont part with either.

sampa, May 17, 9:25am
I have a gem iron too, but too funny, I have to reclaim it from my hubby who was sure it was for casting sinker moulds (for fishing!) in. LOL, he had no idea such a thing as gem irons existed, even after I told him he wasn't totally convinced.

purplegoanna, May 17, 8:02pm
ive noticed hubby has one for exactly the same reason....one day it will disapper and be cleaned and rehomed in my cuboard....

purplegoanna, May 17, 8:05pm
sunbeam mix master cake mixer with bowl 377310647 $90...hamilton..

indy95, May 18, 5:46am
Apart from me, two stainless steel copper based Polaris saucepans which were part of a wedding present and have been used regularly for 43 years. I used to have a very old cast iron pan which belonged to my grandmother and stopped using it only because the surface started flaking off.

sampa, May 18, 9:25am
I have a gem iron too, but too funny, I have to reclaim it from my hubby who was sure it was for casting sinker moulds (for fishing!) in. LOL, he had no idea such a thing as gem irons existed, even after I told him he wasn't totally convinced.

purplegoanna, May 18, 8:02pm
ive noticed hubby has one for exactly the same reason.one day it will disapper and be cleaned and rehomed in my cuboard.

purplegoanna, May 18, 8:05pm
sunbeam mix master cake mixer with bowl 377310647 $90.hamilton.