New kitchen help... (asked in parenting too!)

Page 2 / 2
samiamnz, Mar 3, 11:16pm
60 cm cook top.I don't use microwave much, we have a big family so often 3 pots on the go and it just feels too small like pots need to be half off to fit.
I suppose other thing is budget, we went middle of road, but when you tot up kitchen+appliances+benchtops+s-
plashback+painting and decorating it all adds up pretty quickly.

elliehen, Mar 4, 12:27am
I looked after an absentee neighbour's house once where the cat managed to turn on the microwave ;)

lx4000, Mar 4, 2:07am
not sure if said above BUT have fridge/freezer and stove on wheels!! Easy to pull out and clean under! Who pulls theirs out if they have to drag and wriggle it out???????

lx4000, Mar 4, 2:10am
Make sure when they install, you stand there and get the hight you want your work benches at!! Nothing worse than bending and cooking!!

Make sure the sink is FLUSH with the bench!! Otherwise water will not flow into the sink and drain!!

If having a fan above the stove, make sure there is no ceiling beams in the way of the piping that takes it outside!!!!

No odd corner cupboards that you can not reach inside.

Plugs are doubles (and plenty of!!)and easy to reach, even for the fridge!!

lx4000, Mar 4, 2:15am
If you cook alot, maybe a bit of marble bench some where for when making bread, scones, pastry and cutting out cookies etc!! Ohhh my dream kitchen!!hehehehe

macandrosie, Mar 4, 9:36am
Maybe you need to start with the kitchen you've got & decide what you do & don't like about it. There'll be some things that you would find handy & other features that are annoying, Sometimes going on a home renovators tour can give you some good ideas. Ask friends or family who have put in a new kitchen. Think of the needs of your family, who will use the kitchen, what you always wish you had & so on! I finally got my new kitchen after 30 years of having an oldaltered farm kitchen, & you know the annoying thing is there's still things I'd do differently! The biggest problem is there is so much choice out there! You could have hundreds of designs that would fit your kithcen space! That's the frustrating thing! I decided I wanted big pull out drawers for my crockery & pots & baking dishes. I would have loved a big pantry cupboard but we didn't have the wall space. Because we all have so many large appliances today, you can never have enough cupboards, don't skimp there! Good luck!

samiamnz, Mar 4, 11:13pm
Hiyawe did our last year it was part of a reno so it meant that our kitchen when from being a ccorner L shape to a galley (down both sides).So I suppose start with the shape of your space and write down a wish list.Think about a style you would like eg retro/modern/classic etc.We have a bungalow, with the kitchen being quite visable from lounge and dinning.I wanted something that would not date to quickly so went for a white kitchen with textured stainless steel benchtops.The cupboards to have a insert detail, and I have stainless steel handles and appliances.Think about what sort of cook you are, the one mistake I made was only getting a.

samiamnz, Mar 4, 11:16pm
60 cm cook top.I don't use microwave much, we have a big family so often 3 pots on the go and it just feels too small like pots need to be half off to fit.
I suppose other thing is budget, we went middle of road, but when you tot up kitchen+appliances+benchtops+s-
plashback+painting and decorating it all adds up pretty quickly.

elliehen, Mar 5, 12:27am
I looked after an absentee neighbour's house once where the cat managed to turn on the microwave ;)

lx4000, Mar 5, 2:07am
not sure if said above BUT have fridge/freezer and stove on wheels! Easy to pull out and clean under! Who pulls theirs out if they have to drag and wriggle it out!

lx4000, Mar 5, 2:10am
Make sure when they install, you stand there and get the hight you want your work benches at! Nothing worse than bending and cooking!

Make sure the sink is FLUSH with the bench! Otherwise water will not flow into the sink and drain!

If having a fan above the stove, make sure there is no ceiling beams in the way of the piping that takes it outside!

No odd corner cupboards that you can not reach inside.

Plugs are doubles (and plenty of!)and easy to reach, even for the fridge!

lx4000, Mar 5, 2:15am
If you cook alot, maybe a bit of marble bench some where for when making bread, scones, pastry and cutting out cookies etc! Ohhh my dream kitchen!hehehehe