Best mixer for a beginner?

taraz88, Jan 22, 5:59am
HI there, sorry this is kind of off topic but I would like recommendations about what sort of electric mixer to buy. I have just started doing basic muffins and cakes and I'm hopeless at creaming ingredients by hand. Just looking for an average priced good starter electric mixer :)

bluecalico, Jan 22, 8:14am
Get a hand held mixer. It will cream butter and sugar, whip egg whites etc. I wouldn't be splashing out on anything too expensive yet. You can get a good hand held mixer from Briscoes, get a 400+ watt one when on special.As long as the butter is soft, NOT melted, creaming by hand is straightforward with a bowl and a wooden spoon. Beat till it changes colour to a white-ish shade.

cgvl, Jan 22, 8:17am
I have a warehouse hand held mixer/beaters which are fine. If you want one on a stand then there are only 2 brands I have had anything to do with and one is the Kenwood, the other is Sunbeam and both are great but cost wise a lot dear than the hand held one.
I bake or at least used to a lot, anything from basic biscuits to Pav's to fancy cakes and it handles them all really well.

coralsnake, Jan 22, 8:23am
I got a Kambrook stand mixer on sale at Briscoes for $40 recently.
Not powerful as in a Kenwood, Kitchen Aid or Sunbeam but sufficient for basic jobs.

Due to a disability, I often find it difficult to cream by hand hence the purchase.The mixer can be used as a stand-alone mixer as well.

elliehen, Jan 22, 8:25am
I've got a Breville 320W which does a good job.But I agree the larger wattage is a good idea - beaters can stall and struggle if you make them work too hard.

Creaming with a wooden spoon and a bowl is rather like washing dishes by hand - OK if you really enjoy it, have lots of time, or have no other choice ;)

taraz88, Jan 22, 8:26am
LOL thanks =) I wash dishes by hand because I have no other choice...but I'm not great at creaming at all so hopefully a machine can fix that.

taraz88, Jan 22, 8:27am
http://www.sunbeam.co.nz/pages/browse/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=1383

I have been looking at this one, but another poster replied that it struggled to mix a cake and the whisks dont reach down far enough. =(

cgvl, Jan 22, 9:55am
I have an older version of that one and its fine, never been a problem but once I add the flour I never mix with the beater at all.
I only use mine both the hand held and stand ones for creaming butter and sugar and mixing in the eggs after that I mix by hand, makes a better cake IMO.
Use hand held one for making Pav and I have to beat that for 5 mins after I have added sugar and both work fine. I would check that you can take off the stand .... my one can be used either on stand or hand held.
#: 347852188 this is the same as I have only I have some of the other attachments as well

elliehen, Jan 22, 11:23am
Best advice from the best bakers...once you get to adding the dry ingredients you should simply stir them in gently.

graham1972, Feb 20, 4:55pm
I have a sunbeam and its fine you could just buy a basic beater with a stand they are quite reasonable or go into a applianceshop and get them to explain different kinds of beaters and mixers