Cake mixer - should I buy one

Page 1 / 2
dolphin9, Apr 28, 10:15pm
Have previously and I'm sure I'm not alone, purshased kitchen appliances that only get used once or twice.I'm thinking about buying a cake mixer but want feedback from others who have one, wondering if you think they're worthwhile and get used a lot.I bake a lot and seem to spend a lot of time holding a hand held electic beater.Does a cake mixer have beater atachment to use like an electric beater for whipping cream etc?I have recipes where I stand there with the beater for 10mins (yawn).Also when making cakes can you cream the butter and sugar in a cake mixer?Feedback appreciated.

rkcroft, Apr 28, 10:35pm
I think if you bake a lot and are doing a lot of creaming, then yes, a brilliant investment.Things you will need to consider though (in my opinion).You will use it more if it is readily accessible.No good if you will be storing away in a cupboard and pulling out to use when baking. You will only end up like me that it too heavy to lug out and put away - much easier to grab the hand beater.If you want to buy one, then only buy top quality.KitchenAid or top model Kenwood only. Nothing else will even compare.Trust me....made that mistake myself.

skyline26, Apr 29, 12:01am
your answer is yes, yes to cream butter and suger, i think your baking will inprove if you mix ingredints with cakemixer. i have a kambrook stainless steel with all attachments never be with out it.

alebix, Apr 29, 12:40am
Yes, I dont use mine alot but I will never ever part from it.

Since I bought mine I have made marshmallow and more pavlovas.

norse_westie, Apr 29, 1:19am
I am torn on this also. I really fancy a good quality Kenwood one. I do a lot of baking and often double recipes which means my mixing bowl is full to the brim and things get messy.

But every time I decide YES its time, I remember my little old electric beater that my mum gave me 20 years ago, 10 years after she got it...its going strong and is my happy little baking companion. Until it dies I just feel I cant justify a new expensive stand alone type. sigh.

anne1955, Apr 29, 4:27am
Kenwood is my choice sadly mine was at my daughters before Xmas when there house burnt down...and they where so under insured, on house and contents....all I can say if family all safe...me no mixer know but against lives nothing. My chances of buying another even secondhand is not a likely thing currently as I am off on a sickness benefit now, and when I am able to go back to work..well 55 probabaly say's it all...not that I won't be out there trying to find work..Have another couple of months left but ready to look at flasing up CV mind you I somethings think that down grading them might be a better bet...not sure I want any or all of the responsibilities any more..just a job I can givve 100% to while I am there than come home till next day :)But when I win lotto kenwood appliances will be on my wish list..but no I don't by tickets so guessing that won't happen sorry not meaning to high jack a thread just love Kenwood :)

willow99, Apr 29, 4:29am
I have a kenwood major which I love!

buzzy110, Apr 29, 4:31am
Stick with your hand electric beater and wait. I have a Kenwood but I do not think it creams as well as everyone says. You have to stand over it with a spatula, pushing the butter down and removing it from the beater. I always start off my creaming with my hand one, and as I've started it I carry on with it. The larger mixers are brilliant for things that do not require creaming, but then I usually just use my processor instead.

My Kenwood is sort of relegated to heavy mixing that is too hard to do by hand and it gets used once a week (sometimes less) to help me make bread (dough hook).

I've seen a new mixer advertised (cannot remember the brand) that promises the beater reaches right to the the sides of the bowl so "you don't have to" (meaning you don't have to stand by with a spatula and push the butter down all the time). If I was buying again I'd look out for one like that but I'd make sure it also mixed the bottom of the bowl as well.

caro25, Apr 29, 4:32am
would never be with out my kenwood

dolphin9, Apr 29, 4:35am
You could buy a cake mixer for the big jobs but still use mums electic hand held for smaller jobs like beating cream, go on

dolphin9, Apr 29, 4:36am
think a less stressful job is a good idea if your recovering from ill health.Even if you started back at a less stressful job then took on more when you felt up to it.Good luck

samsnan, Apr 29, 4:39am
I also have a kenwood major. Purchased it for cafe baking in 1990 and has had alot of use since then. The bowl is bigger than the ordinary kenwood. I hope it lasts another 20years.

norse_westie, Apr 29, 4:45am
Ohhh I am SO tempted. Desperately tempted. But my bench space is very limited and I would have to keep it on the bench (tiny tiny kitchen).

Maybe I will get rid of a few other appliances and make some room.

dolphin9, Apr 29, 4:58am
Yeah I have the same problem.I have a reasonable size kitchen but still manage to full it up.Maybe if i clear out a few appliances I don't need I can make room for a cake mixer.Wonder if we both buy one if they'l give us a deal!

bearskin, Apr 29, 5:37am
We have a Kitchenaid Artisan mixer and it's the business. Not only does it do it's job excellently, it may well last the rest of our lives... I doubt that a mixer for a couple of hundred dollars would do that.

kuaka, Apr 29, 8:55am
buzzy - the one you are thinking about which is constantly being advertised on the telly is the Breville (obviously the ad isn't that great if you can't remember the name of the product!)

pats3, Apr 29, 10:57am
Would never be without my 30 year old Kenwood. Love it.

pickles7, Apr 29, 11:49am
Love my Kenwood as well, got most attachments, good value.

sugarplum1, Apr 29, 7:51pm
I have a Kenwood, but unfortunately not the stainless steel one.I do get annoyed having to scrape the bowl down when creaming butter and sugar.Also, I have to hand beat meringue, because my Kenwood has a plastic bowl.So pavlovas take ages.Next time I would go for something metal.

skippie1, Apr 29, 11:53pm
I have been spoiled with a KitchenAid Artisan Mixer, YIPPEE, belate birthday present, lovely dark blue color.Now looking what to make and get used to the machine.

sathan81, Apr 30, 7:19am
Mum had a Kenwood cake mixer that she got for a wedding prezzie......best memories ever of us kids fighting over who was gonna lick the bowl or the beater end, lol. Once mum let me crack the egg into the mixture and i accidently dropped the whole egg, shell and all in the mixture......Unfortunely it suffered the same fake as anne1955 one got fryed when my house went up in flames and i had lent it from mum :(
They must be good mixers as they still fetch a good price on TM. I have seen a couple of the new Brenville ones on TM for half of the price that they sell for in shops.

dolphin9, Apr 30, 8:29am
why do you prefer metal?

kiwiscrapper1, Apr 30, 9:03am
I too have a kitchen aid 'RED' and love it, I use it at least once a week to bake with and it has a whisk as well as a paddle to make bread, I also bought the mincer attachment which I have used a few times and the sausage stuffer which I have yet to use! only because I cant seem to find a nice sausage recipe. In fact baking day I could do with an extra bowl...oh and forgot to say I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

kuaka, Apr 30, 9:21am
dolphin, I think when whisking eggs for meringue or pav you have to do it in a glass or metal bowl, not plastic.I don't remember the reason why but they don't whisk well in plastic or tupperware bowls.

skippie1, Apr 30, 9:42am
kiwiscrapper, I baked a carrot cake today and a loaf of bread. Both have turned out great, although I usually bake Annabel Langbein recipe and that doesn't need kneading. Still have to make a Pavlova at some stage, never have made one, so this will be the first time ever.