Cake mixer question!

l.belle, Aug 4, 5:54am
Love to hear some ideas and recommendations for a cake mixer. Have just killed off yet another hand beater so thinking of upgrading to a "proper" cake mixer. What's hot and what's not!! Thanks!

carriebradshaw, Aug 4, 6:22am
I have a Kitchenaid and highly recommend it.It knocks the socks off any other mixer I've had.
But,depends on your budget really.

happy-me, Aug 4, 6:23am
I have a Sunbeam its okay does the trick! I remember my using my mums kendwood very nice.

carlos57, Aug 4, 7:13am
I have a trusty old Kenwood, which I love. However, they are expensive. I was very lucky to be given one by my auntie :)

eastie3, Aug 4, 7:24am
I grew up using Mum's Kenwood but have a Breville which does me just fine.It copes with beating egg whites for a pav for 25 mins and anything else I need it to do. I bought it from Briscoes for less than $400 and it's been good value,so if this is your budget I'd recommend it.

cookessentials, Aug 4, 7:49am
Kitchenaid for me too. Gear driven as opposed to belt driven and mixes to 67 points in the bowl as opposed to eleven with Kenwoods and others.

bunny51, Aug 4, 9:11am
I have a kenwood too.

katalin2, Aug 4, 10:39am
NZ Consumer tested mixers in July 2012. They recommended 7 mixers in the following order:
1. Breville Scraper Mixer Pro BEM 800
2. Kenwood KMX51 kmix Stand Mixer
3. Kenwood Chef Classic KM330
4. Breville the Scraper Mixer BEM 410R
5.KitchenAid 5KSM150PS Artisan Mixer
6. KitchenAid Platinum Collection Stand Mixer KSM 156ACAO
7. Kenwood Titanium Major KM020

pickles7, Aug 4, 10:49am
Kenwood here. I would not have anything else.

nik12, Aug 4, 10:58am
I've got a kenwood chef, because some lovely person gave me one as a wedding present 13 years ago, I have no problems with it.Mum and Nana had sunbeams for years, I don't remember any problems (remembering though the last one's they bought was probably 20 years ago) can you still buy them!I love the look of that scraper mixer, would love to know if it actually works.

bill241, Aug 4, 11:02am
I have a Kitchenaid, its great for whisking/whipping and for mixing, but not for kneading dough.

lcl2, Aug 4, 8:47pm
Sheffield Professional mixer they are on here for RRP for $399 but we got one last month for $199.reat mixer and just a good as all the others

pickles7, Aug 4, 10:32pm
I have often wondered what they are like. For the price they looked good.
I have just about all the attachments for my Kenwood. Can you buy attachments for the Sheffield Professional mixer.

cgvl, Aug 4, 11:00pm
Have a sunbeam new one, My old one you could have on a stand or hand hold it. The new one is stand only, so not so happy with it, but for that reason only.

nauru, Aug 4, 11:45pm
Me too, I was fortunate enough to aquire my MIL's old Kenwood Chef 701Awhen she decided she no longer needed it after all the family had left home.It is near to 50 years old now, still going strong after all these years and used often. The only cost to me in all that time was a replacement SS bowl as I broke the Kenlite one. I believe the newer models don't have the staying power of the older ones though. If your budget doesn't allow the high cost of the newer variety of mixers, maybe consider buying an older Kenwood, there are always plenty to choose from on TM

l.belle, Aug 5, 6:28am
Thank you so much, folks, for your input. Really appreciated. In the meantime, the cake tin lies empty while I decide what to do!

falcon-hell, Aug 5, 10:10am
i have the Breville BEM 800,its really good,but I did have to get my first replaced becaused it thumped the scraper against the bowl-Brevill were excellent to deal with.

gerry64, Aug 5, 11:59am
I have had several Kenwoods but old boy went out and bought me a kitchenaide last xmas - its fantastic -makes the most fabtastic sponges and bread is so easy using the dough hook -

agnes8, Aug 13, 7:03am
Re your new one.which model did you get!
I have been looking at the Sunbeam cafe series Limited Edition at the Appliance shed but when I looked at the reviews in Australia they were really bad.however the Limited Edition of the MX8900w may be an improved version.